Hasegawa Fw 190S Conversion

LSP_Kevin

Kev

Love the work on this, I have been following this for some time. I just had to say that you have done an awesome job on that lower wing!!! Crisp detail work and finish....well done mate. A 2 seat 190 on the table at a show will look amazing amongst all the single seaters!! :speak_cool:

Cheers

Anthony (oh by the way I am getting quite a collection of Tamiya Zero bits for you now!)

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Love the work on this, I have been following this for some time. I just had to say that you have done an awesome job on that lower wing!!! Crisp detail work and finish....well done mate.

Thanks for checking in Anthony, and for the kind words. This one is on the back-burner for now while I play catch-up with the D-11 conversion (working on the wings for that one as I type).

(oh by the way I am getting quite a collection of Tamiya Zero bits for you now!)

:speak_cool:

Kev

• 7 months later...

Wow, has it really been 7 months since I posted on this one? Crikey! Anyway, I haven't been completely idle with it, but pretty close. I'm currently liaising with Ian from Ad Astra about a set of paint masks for it.

I have a question for you Luftwaffe markings experts though. Since no photos exist of the wings of the machine I'm building, I'm wondering what style of balkenkreuz was the most likely to have been used on their upper surfaces. Most 190s seem to have the later simple white outline style, but the illustration provided by the Aircam book I'm using as one of my references shows the earlier style:

lohRG4.png

Given the colour call-outs I'm not inclined to put much stock into the accuracy of this illustration, so I have my doubts about the style of upper wing crosses shown being correct.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Kev

Thanks Steve. I actually have a photo at home that shows the text mentioned in the caption in much more detail. I'll post it when I get it a chance. It appears to show the text starting with a solid white triangle, rather than the letter A, but that doesn't make sense in context. I'd appreciate your thoughts when you get a chance to look at it.

When you say "the white outlined Balkenkreuz would have been used", I assume you mean the balkenkreuz that are made up of only white outlines, like on later 190s? Just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you!

Kev

Looking forward to that closer photograph too...

Well, Martin just saved me the trouble! This is the second photo from his second post above:

FW190S8_06f-s.jpg

As you can see, it looks like a solid white triangle, not the text 'A-5'.

Curious...

Kev

I believe that The "5" is actually S (Schulflugzeug) and the rest is the s/n.

Thanks Martin. Could the 'white' triangle actually be a yellow fuel indicator? It looks too small, and I doubt there's neither fuel tank nor hatch in that location, but I'm just trying to figure it out. I'm hoping to pass information back to Ian that's as accurate as possible.

Kev

Great photographs Martin (they will help me along with the others that I have for my conversion set).

Kev: Nice to see this topic back at the top again :speak_cool:

Many thanks

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now that I've finally finished the D-11, I can return to this one, even if only temporarily. Having robbed the main gear doors I'd intended for this build and used them on the D-11, I now find that I have two 1/32 kits and only one set of decent gear doors between them. So I've trying to cast resin copies of that one set for my first casting project, but it ain't going well:

D3YM7I.jpg

That's as far as I got after two sets of moulds. I'll spare you all the gory details; suffice it to say that it's been a long, frustrating and ultimately fruitless process. And the results speak for themselves! I think I'll have to regroup and start with a less difficult part. Perhaps it would be better if I had a more experienced caster do these doors for me.

Anyway, I'm off to build something light and fluffy before returning to plastic bashing chaos.

Kev

Sorry Dan, the moulds are destroyed! I failed to use release at any stage of the process so far (dumb mistake!), and have had to cut the parts out of both sets of moulds. The second set looked to still be usable after that, but the results clearly say otherwise.

The Pinkysil itself seems really easy to work with, and I haven't had any problems with it so far. The resin is Procast. The whole lot came in a single box as part of my Starter Kit from AMC. I just need to start with a simpler part and get the process down before working my way up to a difficult shape like these gear doors. I have some of the silicone flow in behind the part due the curvature of the larger end, so the moulds became useless for the part anyway.

I'll definitely take your advice about venting for next time though Dan!

Kev

Thanks Dan. I discovered through my failed first effort that this part requires a 2-part mould. You simply can't extract that awkward shape from a one-part mould without having to cut it free. I actually had a similar arrangement to your drawing, but didn't think clearly enough about the implications of a one-piece mould...

For the second attempt, I used D's advice about forming a clay bed and pressing the part into it (the Klean Klay came with the Starter Kit too - the only thing they didn't supply was release agent). This didn't work all that well due to the curvature inherent in the large end of the part, and I wasn't able to get it bedded in completely. That's partially the reason why the moulding attempt failed. But I also forgot to use release agent before pouring the second part of the mould, so I ended up with a large chunk of silicone with my part buried inside.

The Procast says demould time of 1-3 hours. I poured it in last night and demoulded it this morning, so I don't know how long it actually took. Was going to have another go today, but with plenty of chores left, I doubt I'll get time.

What kind of part do you guys recommend as an easy starting point so I can gain some sense of accomplishment here?

Kev