Hasegawa 1/32 FW190-A8

Spit88

I have looked at some pictures of on line builds with the cowling hatches opened up to display the engine and it looks clear that the inside color of the cowling is RLM02.

ANOTHER QUESTION: If I want to replace the wing cannons with brass/steel tubing does anyone know what the size of tubing is I need for 1/32 scale FW190's?

I have looked at some pictures of on line builds with the cowling hatches opened up to display the engine and it looks clear that the inside color of the cowling is RLM02.

ANOTHER QUESTION: If I want to replace the wing cannons with brass/steel tubing does anyone know what the size of tubing is I need for 1/32 scale FW190's?

That's easy...just measure the plastic barrel and replace it with a brass equivalent. Myself, I used the plastic barrels and drilled out the bore. Good nuff fer me... :bow:

Considering the pit color as RLM66 and the gear bays being RLM02.The engine bay is and should be RLM^^.Or unless someone else saying different.But i'm sure it's 66.Larry

I must disagree, Larry. For example, page 208 of Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933-1945 Volume One, by Merrick and Kiroff (Classic Publications [uK], 2005; 224 pages), states specifically that "use of 66 was confined to any cockpit area visible through a clear covering; 02 was used for remaining portions of the main airframe access areas ..."

Charles Metz

You would very likely be okay with either RLM02 OR natural metal for the inside of the cowling as long as it's a late war aircraft. Also, a combination of both would be feasible because they often re-built aircraft from parts from other damaged a/c.

Please notice that my argument against RLM 66 above allowed for the possibility of natural metal engine bays. We professors are trained to choose our words carefully. :thumbsup:

Charles Metz

While the cowl panel skins insides were likely not painted, the panel frame structure would have been (possibly due to it being made of steel?) and that color would be ?? I'd go with darkened 02 or 66, as B&W snaps seem to show them in a dark color. Earlier '190s would more likely be 02 over everything.

I usually go with RLM 02 as most the inside pannels I have seen in color photos, like the tail access pannel, have been RLM 02. Now the cooling fan blades I have seen in all kinds of shades from possible RLM 66 to 02. judging by the B&W photos. Just my 2 cents.

I took this photo of the NASM F-8. Now you can argue that they didn't know what they were doing.... but I offer it as some evidence regardless. The inside of the cowl and the engine baffling all appeared to be treated with what looks like alodine, a fine gold colored transparent oxidation layer on the bare metal.

BMW 801D open cowl.

HTH

Brian