OEFFAG Albatros DIII, Austrian LFT, 1917

blackbetty

this is the last version of the gun access doors, they kept getting smaller evry time i remade them until they fit the availible space

i used plastic foil for the last version, not the beer can aluminum, it just snugs down better

now i have to decide on some kind of red for the base colour :shrug:

more to come, thanx for looking

post-2020-1265790858.jpg

and 2nd, i have to putty all the panel lines. as seen on the real thing, the wooden structure is completely smooth, without a spot of putty (something one cant say about this build)

Bahahahaha! :punk: I ALWAYS get such a huge kick outa watching your builds dude! :hmmm: Ya never know what you're going to see next. :shrug: Can't wait to see the 'continuing saga' unfold. :thumbsup:

Russ is right. We always get our money's worth from one of your builds. I enjoy the fact you show us the various iterations of various parts you go through. makes for much interest and an 'honest' build - warts 'n all.

We all know, as well, that it'll end up looking good - like your '88.

Matt

guys, thanx for your continuing support. it helps overcome problems if you know somebody is watching. my builds cant compare to most of the builds on here, but its still fun to post and to get feedback :wow:

one of the issues i created myself because i didnt have all the pics i got now is: there IS a depression for the exhaust pipes in the starboard side of the fuse, just like on the german counterpart. cant tell if it would have fit....

post-2020-1265881206.jpg

for the exhaust pipes i made a conical master out of stretched/filed sprue and rolled some aluminum around them to get the right shape.

i think of making some kind of jig to get these on straight and with the right spacing

more to come

karl

post-2020-1265881786.jpg

one of the things i also have to adress: the prop. its different to the kit one, suprise, suprise

first i photoshopped a pic of the real one and resized it to 1:32

in the pic are the two kit props, top and bottom, with the modified pic in the middle

post-2020-1265973660.jpg

Wow! Those exhausts came out great. I can't believe you got them so uniform dude! So the Austrian engine had 6 individual exhausts that came out like trumpets? Cooool. :hmmm: Nice work on the prop too, I did something like that on my P-51A. Sheesh, at least you're getting ready to paint your build,....I can't even seem to find an ace that had his AC equipped the way mine is, or close to the mottled paint-scheme I want. :BANGHEAD2: Guess I shoulda checked that out BEFORE starting my project? :huh: Maybe I can fluff my way thru with an 'anonymous unknown' pilot with a rudder full of kill markings? :fight: Seemed to be a lot of pics of soldiers standing next to rudders like that.

Anyway, hope you have better luck with your red/skulls than I'm having with mottles/radar suite combinations. Blast! Looking good buddy, looking forward to the next set of progress pics! :goodjob:

checked out all my references, but couldnt find a sheme you are looking for, russ.

the outfit of the albatros is also something to let your hair turn grey, but more about that later

i widened the engine cover a bit to fit the cutout next

post-2020-1266315178.jpg