Tool query..

dylan the rabbit

In one of the discussions I had on Britmodeller many moons ago, someone mentioned a tool that was really useful to replicate the circular access bolts (for want of the technical term) on the cowlings of Spitfires and Hurricanes.

I'm redoing the ones on my 1/24th Hurricane now, and I'm using a circular template set, scribing a circle, and then using a pin to score a hole in the centre.

They look ok, but not great.

The tool was made by MDC or Waldron? Not sure.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers,

Nick

Hi!

This is this tool: http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/productpag...01%2F32%20SCALE

However, this set in only useful for the photoetched templates as most shops specialized in jewellry tooling sell identical punch sets with up to more than 20 different diameters! I have one of such sets for at least 15 years. Here's an example: http://www.esslinger.com/beadingtoolsetof23sizes0-22.aspx

HTH

Thanks Thierry.

That's similar to the setup I'm already using (a Hasegawa template set and sewing needle held in a pin vise).

The only problem with that setup is the needle bends as I go around the circle, and thus I can't make a precise enough scribe.

I may therefore need to look at an alternative to the needle..

I've made one for myself; a scrap of thin brass tube, spun it in a dremmel and used a grinding stone to

get a bevel on the end.

then you can put the tube in a pin vise, quick turn and you have an 'o' shaped fastener.

Cheers guys.

I probably did misunderstand, but correct me if I'm wrong, cowling and panel fasteners are not flush rivets?

I have this effect so far from the template and needle in a vise..

_D9O8688.jpg

Ok, but not great.

I think the idea of the brass tubing could be a winner though, and Perry, I'll PM you about that.

Nick

I have a product manufactured by Mega Tool, of Switzerland. It contains 23 different sized pointed concave ended shafts, and a handle.

The product is the same as the MDC product but with more shaft options.

I've searched the web for a link to Mega Tool of Switzerland but could not find one.

If you'd like, I could take a picture of it and post it so you could see what it looks like.

Unfortunately, for the life of me, I don't remember from whom I bought it.

Sincerely,

Mark

Dylan,

To clarify the explanations, look at this sketch. The left drawing shows the effect you get with a needle and the right one with the tool mark and me are mentioning.

I exagerated a lot the difference but you should get the picture. Note that in many cases, the difference is far from obvious on a model. Using the abovementioned tool results however in a quick, easy, regular and reproducable result.

HTH

post-78-1254126357.jpg

Dylan,

To clarify the explanations, look at this sketch. The left drawing shows the effect you get with a needle and the right one with the tool mark and me are mentioning.

I exagerated a lot the difference but you should get the picture. Note that in many cases, the difference is far from obvious on a model. Using the abovementioned tool results however in a quick, easy, regular and reproducable result.

HTH

Hi Dylan (welcome to LSP),

Thierry is correct, you need the beading tool set to achieve the domed fastener effect you are looking for.

HTH

Derek