Hasegawa Fw190 D-9

JamesHatch

Aye up all!

I thought it about time I contributed here with a build. I've spent so much time leeching ideas off you lot, now I have a chance to show how inept I can be. The model of choice is the new mould Hasegawa Fw 190D-9. To go with this, I'm going to add the following:

Aires Fw190D full detail resin set #2031

Black Dog Focke Wulf Fw 190 D-9 resin Tail wheel with mechanism access door #A32002

Black Dog Focke-Wulf FW 190 A,D resin detail set (flaps, rudder and fuel fillers etc) #A32001

Eduard Fw190D Landing flaps #32101

MDC Fw 190D9 Wheel Set #CV32028

MDC MG-151 set with brass barrels

Master Model MG-131 brass barrels

Radu Brinzan Late Luftwaffe seatbelts #RB-P32006

PK Tinyland German service panel set

MDC German Duralumin Manufacturers Stamps #D32009

Mike Grant Decals Instruments & Placards set

HobbyDecal Fw-190 Stencils ver 1 #st32003v1

Montex Super Mask Set Fw-190D9 (Galland Circus) #K 32048

EagleCals Fw190 decal set

G-Factor brass Fw190A/D undercarriage

I'm using a mish mash of technique I've picked up and some techniques from the new FAQ book by JM Villaba....basically whatever fits the task. Also using Gunze paint for the first time too.

I warn you that I've never attempted anything like this before, but I'm confident with using resin and etch etc. which I've used in smaller projects. The finished model will be posed with all access ports open (well, most of them anyway), and engine cowls posed open. All weapon bays will be displayed open, as will the canopy.

Here's a few pics of some of the stuff I will be using:

fw0.jpg

fw3.jpg

fw2.jpg

mg131.jpg

I'm in for a long haul, right? :blink: :ph34r:

Jim

Here's the work so far. The first thing that had to come off was the nose, so I chain drilled this and cleaned it up with a surgical kinfe. Edges were then sanded flat. For the most serious part of the kit destruction, it seemed to go pretty well. For posterity, I took some pics first.

fw5.jpg

fw6.jpg

fw7.jpg

fw8.jpg

The fuselage needed quite a lot of remedial work to make the resin and etch parts sit, but firstly, the kit is totally devoid of rivets, so this needed to be remedied. I fixed this with the help of Radus Rivet-R tool and some drawings depicting the rivet patterns. Seemed to work pretty well, and I rolled the riveter against the edge of Tamiya tape. It took a little getting used to...it's not perfect, but I'm happy with it at this stage.

I removed the service ports and hatches/doors where I wanted to depict them open and also thinned down the fuselage skin at this point to make it a little more realistic. As far as the main service hatch goes, this work looks quite brutal from inside, but with the installation of the etch metal fuselage formers and stringer, the remainder of the gouges are filled in with superglue gel.

fw12.jpg

The rear fuselage resin section is superbly cast, but misses as least 2 obvious items which I scratch built with the help of plasticard and rod, plus thin tine foil. These are the elevated bulkhead onto which is clipped the engine starter crank, and also the elevator control rods.

fw9.jpg

fw10.jpg

fw11.jpg

With these added and the other resin parts cleaned up, I primed and airbrushed this section in Alclad2 Airframe Aluminium. From there, a quick thin coat of Klear was added and then the MDC duralumin decals were added. A coat of MicroSet was added to the whole lot before another coat of Klear. With this dry, a highly thinned mist of Tamiya Earth acrylic was sprayed along the stringer and ribbing as well as the riveted panels. Tamiya Flat Aluminium was then added to highlight the fuselage formers. All other interior stuff was sprayed with Gunze acrylics, with minor detail being painted with Vallejo acrylics.

fw13.jpg

In the meantime, the forward fuselage area was thinned to accept the bulkheads for the weapon bay. The instrument visor was also removed to eventually be replaced with a more accurate resin part with higher detail.

fw14.jpg

That's all for now folks.....I'll get more work done and post an update when there's something to show :blink:

Jim

Wow, that's a heck of project Jim, and a heck of a start too! Nothing inept about that work. It seems you have all the requisite skills to pull this off and make it a stunner. The fuselage internals are already looking impressive.

This book by Villaba, do you recommend it?

Kev

The Villaba book is great. Some may not like his method of internal finishing, but I think it looks superb. His rendering of exterior work is flawless and I absolutely love the book. Expensive but worth every penny. Highly recommended :blink: Thanks for the comments on this project so far.

lol looking at your work and I have the same set from aires

I notice that I am missing a part the rear fuselage lol I have this set and I have the box all some time so need to get the part lol.

Did order yesterday the decal's you use from MDC.

hope to see your build all ready injoyed the other 1 they did on here.

groeten johan

Hi Johan,

One thing I have noticed with this Aires set is that the rear fuselage deck behind the pilot is about 3mm too short. It's as simple as that. If I compare it against the kit part, the difference is obvious, but if the resin part was to be used, the rear fuselage interior extends forward in front of the deck! :lol:

As the kit part is no worse than the Aires one, I've removed the rear deck from the cockpit plastic part and finished the front edge so it butts nicely to the Aires cockpit. Also, the benefit of using the kit part is that I can drill out the already recessed pilots stowage door to display the resin beneath :lol:

I've started to clean up the casting blocks from the cockpit parts and I'll get these primed tomorrow. With any luck, I'll get some paint on them too. I need to fabricate the canopy rails yet for the cockpit as these are still obviously missing. :lol:

hi james,

super work so far mate---and anybody who has seen what you do with spits. in the smaller scale will know (as i do) how this is going to turn out! can't wait to see it as it nears completion.

dave.

Still working on this, and tomorrow I'll be working on the cockpit painting, so more pics will come this next few days. I've had the EagleCal decals delovered as well as the exquisite Black Dog resin tail wheel/assembly and the control surfaces kits.

I need to know the following though:

What colour of 'blue' is the socket next to the pilot seat, from this picture of the D9, built by Georch?

post-1332-1164358915.jpg

Also, @ Steve Gallacci, can you give me some info on the 190D-9 resin props you sell..........PLEASE!!!! I want some proper profiled props for this machine. They are the only thing I am lacking at the moment :lol:

Cheers,

Jim

Wow man...great work on the beer keg in the radio bay. One day I'll definitely have to get one.

Its really helpful to see how you've modified the kit parts to accomodate the resin and PE...thanks.

Looking super.

Cheers Matty

Hi Jim,

You are going to a lot of trouble to produce a beautiful model. You must be aware that the kits gun cowl is much too bulbous and there were several styles of gun cowls depending on the werknummer of the one you are modeling. Let me know and I can help .

Cheers, Jerry

Hi Jerry,

The kit gun cowl is now redundant and being replaced with the Aires resin version. I am modelling 'Red 1' from JV44, so I suppose this is ok? I am using the EagleCal decals for this. Let me know if there is anything glaring you can see.

Im really worried about that prop too. It doesn't look right for this machine. Any suggestions will be taken on board. I've thrown so much AM at this model that I'm not bothered about needing extra.

Thaks for the heads up too.

Jim