ME-262 B-1a/U1

ruzlkampf

Still looks pretty 'toy-like' in these pics without any kind of weathering, but this is just the basic model 'ready to go'. Getting kinda 'antsy' to start something else, (or finish the Frank I got almost done.) so this project is skating on thin ice. Next pics will be of the completed model. See ya'll then! Later, Russ

post-4413-1241436849.jpg

Looks great, Russ. You've done yourself proud once again. Isn't it amazing how a 65 year old design hardly looks dated at all?

I wouldn't think this plane would need a whole lot of weathering considering it was only a couple of months old when the war ended.

• 2 months later...

Very precise and nice model Russ and I really enjoin that two pilots. If landing gear was in flaying position :blink: that could give more how can I express my self!? …more menacing appearance to this killing machine!

Thanks

Hey everybody,...thanks for looking in!!! :o Haven't had much of a chance to work on this critter in the awhile now, cuz my compressor went Pppphhhttt. Got another one on it's way, and should be here in a couple of days. Still have a bit of weathering to do on some panel lines, and an antenna wire and such.

I read a review somewhere, or heard it mentioned, about the canopy on this model being too small also Ads. :ph34r: After looking it over....it just seemed the 'sill' or ledge the canopy sits on was WAAAAY to exaggerated. After I whittled it down flush with the fuse sides, the fit was really good. Here's what I did;

post-4413-1247316170.jpg

Drawing is crude, but it gives a general idea. I'm planning on knocking this build out as soon as my new compressor(s) show up on Monday. Got a cool new double-piston doohickey with a separate air tank to go with my usual model as a back-up. I wear the darn things out every 6 months! Whoohoo! More pics soon. Russ

• 2 weeks later...
Still looks pretty 'toy-like' in these pics without any kind of weathering,

Nothing wrong with a model without weathering. I do all my models so.

Just a matter of taste.

Whoa, hey Erwin!....Sorry if I offended you in any way buddy, that was definitely not my intent! :P By 'toy-like', I meant all the markings (like that red-12) just look so bright and fresh. As 'johng' mentioned, they weren't old enough to have very much weathering, and that's where this build bit the dirt. I'm just not sure how I want it to look. I want to put a 'mist' of some kind overall to give it a slightly uniform faded look (like LSP Dave did to his Iraqi Sea Fury) without darkening my mottle job. If that makes any sense? <_<

Problem was exacerbated by my old compressor having fluctuating air-pressure spikes. Very hit/miss for doing ANY detail spraying. I've solved this problem by buying TWO new compressors! I want back-up. These piston type compressors are sweet because they have separate air tanks to minimize fluctuating pressure....and they run at only 56 decibels.(normal talking is 60) I'm so happy. B)

Taking a break from the pancake for a few days,....and I feel the need to PAINT something...so, I am going to resurrect this build and finish this bird off. Good excuse to play around with the new equipment. Here's what I acquired; a 2-piston 1/3hp 1.6cfm contraption, and a single piston 1/5hp .8cfm version similar to my old one. ;)

post-4413-1248248632.jpg

Let's see, where was I on this thing? :P I remember I got to the 2-week 'kiss-of-death-because-I got bored with it stage'...and, everything went phhhtttt. Lemme dust this off and do another walk-around to see where I'm at. Aahh yes, I wanted to hit the fronts of the nacelles with some black to knock down that 'faded look'. A bit too much I reckon.

post-4413-1248248984.jpg

I also want to hit some of those panel lines with the faintest of some kind of darker color to give a wee bit more of a worn look. Now that I have more control with the airbrush,...I might be able to pull it off to my personal tastes.(whatever THAT means! :P )

post-4413-1248249212.jpg

Hmmmm, the more I look....the more little niggles I see to touch-up. :P Not sure what color I should overspray the fuse to knock some of the bright colors down with, and not darken things too much? Maybe a light grey mist, I dunno yet?

post-4413-1248249422.jpg