Doyusha N1K2-J "George"

Dang Kevin! Whupped those problem spots out slicker 'n grease! Look at you! :lol: I see you've found a use for that Mr. Dissolved Putty. :huh: Great idea on using the rod as a filler too! You sure are making things that are hard to do look,....well, ehrm.....easy. Feels good, huh....real good. ;)

Really impressed by all the skills and techniques you've got polished and put into this build. You're blowing me away with all the things you're doing to this kit, and your confidence really shows. Very cool my friend. So, uh....when are ya gonna try a scratch-built Rufe?! Bwhahahaha. :P Guess we'll have to wait til you're done with this one first, huh? he he.

Can't wait to see the next round of progress pics! Later, Russ

Thanks for the kind words guys! Time for another quick update to keep the momentum going. I doubt, however, that I'm going to be even close to finishing by the deadline. Today's update is actually yesterday's work - nothing done at all today!

Landing gear:

post-3071-1251015170.jpg

post-3071-1251015184.jpg

Typically, I actually grabbed the wrong gauge fuse wire for the brake lines, and didn't even notice until I'd finished one! :) They're way too thick, but I'm not fussed at this stage.

Thanks for looking fellas.

Kev

Painting has begun! The underside:

post-3071-1251190375.jpg

There are a few areas I'm not happy with, and if I had more time I'd go back to them, but I'm just gonna push through now.

Here's the finished gear legs:

post-3071-1251190397.jpg

More soon!

Kev

;) GO KEVIN, GO ! :)

you're nearly there mate and certainly ahead of me...Well done !

Hubert.

PS: It's funny. i expected this GB to ride high with Tamiya Zeros and Hasegawa Franks...but in the end we'll get Georges as the most represented model :ph34r:

Thanks so much for the kind words fellas. They really mean a lot, and certainly motivate me to keep going. I will, however, most likely fail to make the deadline. Wingman sent me a PM in which he reminded me that the quality of the build should take precedence over the rush to make the deadline, and he's right. The only way I could make it from here would be to rush, and most likely seriously bork something. And still not make it. Don't get me wrong - I'll have a go, but I won't take any shortcuts if I can help it. There's just too much work still to be done!

Anyway, here's a quick set of update photos.

Top painted and white applied for the areas that will be, er, white:

post-3071-1251367548.jpg

As you can probably guess, I'm going to be painting the major markings (further slowing me down!).

Here's the finished main landing gear:

post-3071-1251367559.jpg

And the prop, sans decals and weathering:

post-3071-1251367536.jpg

And finally, a couple of shots of the finished drop tank:

post-3071-1251367515.jpg

post-3071-1251367523.jpg

I've still got to scratch-build, paint and install a gun sight, too...

:blink:

Kev

Hey Kevin, thats really looking GOOD!! Seems like you're on the home stretch and you've got the weekend ahead of you so who knows. Yeah guys, I'd sure like to see him finish in time but would not want him to cut too many corners in the process. He has the skills, has done some pretty work and this one is going to turn out really nice. I've rushed kits before and when I look at them on the shelf I get that sick feeling in my stomach. The kit looks back and says: (in my best Marlon Brando voice) " I could'a been a contenda..." For his sake, I'd rather see him finish it at a pace that shows what he's capable of so that he ends up with something he's proud of. Russ set a good example of that with his scratchbuilt F5F "flying flapjack" in the carrier group build that he just finished about two weeks ago.

Saturday morning here and I'm all set for a weekend of model building. Except for all the other stuff I've got to do. Anyway, I'll give the George a big push towards the finish line. Here's my rudimentary scratch built gunsight:

post-3071-1251499606.jpg

It's pretty rough, but should look effective enough in place.

Kev