Oscar and Tony

vvwse4

Thanks everybody for the kind words. Russ, I also read that the Japanese Airforce mixed all the paint they could get their hands on, so that leaves room for artistic freedom. I also found a good article about the 248th Sentai.

http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/rdunn/248th/248th.htm]

Buzzy with glueing small parts and sanding and stuff like that, not really worth mentioning.

Rick.

Got them both on their feet. They look like planes now, both totally different.

paint021.jpg

paint022.jpg

Now I do need to finish the surface of both planes before putting some primer on..

Rick.

Finally got started with the best part of these builds, putting paint om them, first Mr surfacer

paint023.jpg

paint024.jpg

paint025.jpg

And after a night of drying I did the preshade and the natural metal finish. Also made a few panels darker by adding a few drops of black ( thanks Matt for the tip!!! ) The metal parts on the Oscar will be chipped area's later. Need to dry everything but I am very satisfied with the NMF so far.

paint026.jpg

paint027.jpg

paint028.jpg

paint029.jpg

paint030.jpg

paint031.jpg

Feel free to comment.

Rick.

Heeey Rick! After looking thru zillions of Ki-43 pics in the last few days, (as I'm painting mine) I think Loic is right. Bottom should be silver. As it's an 'in-field' paint-job, I guess nobody could be 100% sure, but just about every Oscar I've seen that's a Ki-43 II has a NMF on the undersides. Looking at your side profile, the demarcation line between the top/bottom colors look painted. BUT, looking at every other AC I have pics of with this Sentai in the mid-war period have a NMF undersides-no matter what they painted the top. Some didn't even have a color behind those tail markings. Just green.

Whatever you decide to paint it, I can't wait to see how it comes out! :) Later, Russ

Gaaahhh! You were posting at the same time I was dude! he heh. Looking sweet, what did you decide to paint the undersides?

Hi Russ,

You and Loic are most probably right, the underside is NMF. But, I went to a bookshop yesterday and told the guy about the dilemma. As far as we could figure out all Ki43II with a serial number above 5900 were NMF, on the other hand he showed me a bounch of pictures and drawnings with earlier Ki43II types with the gray belly. So I made a SWAF and as I did not know the serial and I reccon almost everybody will go for the NMF so gray should look nice I so figured I would do the two colour scheme on this one. I also learned yesterday that there were no regulations in the field, the ground crews applied whatever they could get their hands on, that is why it fell off that easy. As far as I know the plane I want to make was shot down by a P40 late 1943, so nobody can ask the pilot I guess....But this is a nice subject because there are hardly any records about this. On the other hand, like the same with the Luftwaffe in the end of the war, the ground crews and pilots where having enough trouble without the question wether the colour is too green, brown, gray or whatever, so basicly you can hardly be wrong with the clours. But boy oh boy, I just love the subject and as a consequence of that this GB too............Too bad I only have two Japaneese kits in my stack. :)

Oh yeah, saw this site on ARC

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...;history_state0

Looks nice and a lot of info.

Rick.

I like the nmf Rick. If you scuff the surface in different directions on different panels with very fine grit paper you can vary the shades a little too. What is the Tony going to have for a finish? Is it all nmf?

That Oscar is gonna be cool!

Matt

I like the nmf Rick. If you scuff the surface in different directions on different panels with very fine grit paper you can vary the shades a little too. What is the Tony going to have for a finish? Is it all nmf?

That Oscar is gonna be cool!

Matt

Thank you Matt, glad you like it soo far. The Tony will look a little bit like a combination from these two

65_31.jpg

65_8-1.jpg

I like the way that the green is done on the top one, but I think the national insigna and the red tail is very nice on the bottom one, so I think I make a mix of it. Hope nobody is offended by this.....

Rick.

Hello everybody,

The first paint is on!! First I did Oscar, which was pritty straight forward.

paint033.jpg

paint032.jpg

Then I took a real deep breath and started on Tony. I thought it would be easy, sort of graffity on a plane but it took me a lot more than I figured. Well, so far it looks not bad at all if I may say so.

paint035.jpg

paint034.jpg

Let me know what you make of it.

Rick.