It's time again for a Roll Call....

maverick728470

I still have a 1956 Les Paul flametop that resides in my father's walk-in fire-proof gun safe back in NY.

Cool! I bet that's a real beauty.

This is my pride and joy, home made about 10 years ago using a slab of walnut i found rotting in my dad's shed! The grain shimmers a gold colour in the light, i've never seen any other wood like it.

My other guitar's an SRV replica, i bought a brand new strat (copy) and took a belt sander to it B)

post-4669-1235413655.jpg

Here is a pic of one that I restored. Took about 10 years to find good enough wood, and all the bits.

enfieldrestored.jpg

and a close up of the optics, which I found down under, and bought as a drop in up-grade. The hardest piece to find: the little brass disc in the stock!

enfieldMUESsight2.jpg

Please keep in mind, I am VERY responsible with this hobby, and enjoy the historical significance of this piece. Much the same as others do with their hobbies...

Here is a pic of one that I restored. Took about 10 years to find good enough wood, and all the bits.

enfieldrestored.jpg

and a close up of the optics, which I found down under, and bought as a drop in up-grade. The hardest piece to find: the little brass disc in the stock!

enfieldMUESsight2.jpg

Please keep in mind, I am VERY responsible with this hobby, and enjoy the historical significance of this piece. Much the same as others do with their hobbies...

now then mike---this is my 'other' main collecting area----is the brass disc regimently marked? that aint no service webbing sling on that smelly and although it's got the later cocking piece more common between the wars my guess is thats a first war dated example---made by whom though? dying to no mate---and doubly wishing i could post pics.--as far as the S.M.L.E. goes i have two---one made in 1917 by B.S.A.---and the other made at enfield in 1912 the former an S.M.L.E. mk.111* without mag cut-off the latter a mk.111 with cut-off and long range sights. do you have more?

Dave, This is my No1Mk.III, dated 1916. Mag cut off removed(factory mod) with an M-16 Speed sling. Given to me out of someones garage, which I chased the squirrels out of, cleaned, and began to figure out what it was. Found a mag still in the protective grease, in a "sale" box on the floor of a shop. It is extremely hard to find a regimentaly marked disc here in So. California! :lol: Do you know aught regarding "tommy" helmets? I have a '39 with a curious marking on the front.

enfieldrestored.jpg

enfieldMUESsight2.jpg

Mike; too bad you made mention now about the Butt Discs, I could have picked you up a couple

for NZD$ 10 last week (@ USD$5) on a local auction site here in New Zealand, now that I know I'll keep an eye out

Regards

Alan

Dave, This is my No1Mk.III, dated 1916. Mag cut off removed(factory mod) with an M-16 Speed sling. Given to me out of someones garage, which I chased the squirrels out of, cleaned, and began to figure out what it was. Found a mag still in the protective grease, in a "sale" box on the floor of a shop. It is extremely hard to find a regimentaly marked disc here in So. California! <_< Do you know aught regarding "tommy" helmets? I have a '39 with a curious marking on the front.

hmmm! could you describe mike? i have a 'brodie' 2nd. pattern W.W.1 helmet but there are subtle (very subtle) differences between first and second war tommy helmets----american helmets in W.W.1 and early 2 were standard W.W.1 tommy helmets (albeit manuf. in america and finished with a 'textured' paint) although the S.M.L.E. is a thing of beauty my favourite rifle in my collection has to be, and i'm not just saying this, the springfield '03---mine is 1917 dated and it took me many years to track down----part of the 'fun' for me. bye the bye--do you have butt-cap brass oiler and pull through----if not i can pick those ancillary bits up for you without to much diff.

cheers,

dave. edit----who made your smelly mike? and your'e right about the butt disc mate, they are like hens teeth even over here.

Alan, Thanks for the offer. If you are out, and find a disc that's cheap, and an original item, I'd be keen on getting one. Mine is marked"EFD" on the top, SMLE bottom, left side says LONDON and right has the broad arrow mark. Getting a desert rats disc would be preferable! <_<

Dave, My SMLE has the little star, over a shield? that 's marked AC, or AO over a letter P. port side of receiver. There are 2 serials on the receiver: 39816, port side,lower. The other is 11593 on top of receiver. Under the bolt handle, is a star, over a shield; the shield is marked "Lithgow" over SHTLE, over "III". under that is date stamp 1916. Any help you can provide regarding history would be appreciated greatly. I have the original oil bottle, and pull through, and even found a pattern 03 bayo. With the bayo on, the rifle seems about 5 meters long. In a few short years, my smelly will be 100, and she sits in the case next to my Winchester mod.'94, which is 113, this year. Neither of these will ever be a valuable as some of the guitars talked about here, but would be more effective for hunting game.

For the guitar guys, are there router jigs for the wooden blanks? Does each manufacterer have certain cut-outs, or are they a common style? What is the difference?

mike, the serial nos. don't mean much as to tracing any 'history' ---the shield is, as you know, the lithgow factory emblem ----the factory is australian and made what were called 'peddled' guns and bayonets to make up shortfalls in british output. the british guns had, as all british military guns since the 'brown bess', a small crown with the monarchs initials underneath (G.R.) for this period ---then SHTLE--simply--RIFLE, SHORT, MAGAZINE, LEE ENFIELD---not meaning short magazine (there was no 'long' magazine) but short rifle----then the mk. no. 111 (or for any mods. not deemed worthy of a new mk. no. a series of * (star) markings--e.g. 111* the lithgow factory (first production line ever in australia) made smellys from 1912 until 1953! the markings on the butt should involve the shield again, poss. with a kangaroo inside and poss/prob the letters 'H.V.' for the high velocity mk. V11 round.------if you want i can bung you a couple of charger clips with inert rounds in for safe demo. of the action, let me know mate as i have many tens of clips and would be very happy to send them free of course. your bayonet should be the 1907 pattern mike.

dave.

For the guitar guys, are there router jigs for the wooden blanks? Does each manufacterer have certain cut-outs, or are they a common style? What is the difference?

For 'strat' style guitars the cutouts tend to be that standard shape and size to allow for different pickup and potentiometer/switch layouts available from the factory, although these tend to be very similar anyway. A scratch guard goes over the lot to hide any space you don't use. When you're making your own you can of course omit any cutouts you don't need.

On my guitar I removed only the bare minimum of wood to allow space for the gear i'd chosen. That, along with being one single piece of wood and having a fixed bridge has given my Strat more of a Les Paul sound. Guitar fans will know what that means!

are there router jigs for the wooden blanks? Does each manufacterer have certain cut-outs, or are they a common style? What is the difference?

There are CNC programs to cut Strat bodies but they are a very expensive proposition and I don't think

they are licensed by Fender. There are several vendors that do sell Strat bodies that are licensed.

I prefer to buy used bodies on ebay that need work and go from there.

I know what ya mean Mike. The rear sight on my Enfield was found on ebay, out of Australia. The seller was non to happy the sight went for only 200.00! He made it quite clear he had sold "lesser sights for much more".

Hi,my name is Ed from Madison,N.C. been modeling for many years my modeling area has moved around the house over the years especially after my kids came along had to move out of the bedroom I was using,anyway ,this is my little corner I'm using now,painting is done on another bench in the garage

IMG_0187.jpg

heres a few of my 1/32 ,and yes I still build a few 1/48 scale

IMG_0180.jpg

another rack

IMG_0181.jpg

pardon the dust I need to tidy up a bit :lol:

IMG_0182.jpg

some of my stash

IMG_0183.jpg

Ed B)