yellow zinc chromate

gharlane

does anyone have a formula, concoction, witches brew etal for this particular color? i want to mix my own because everytime i go to LHS they never have any :angry: . i use mainly Model Master enamel and Polly Scale paints

any and all info on this would be greatly appreciated

Is there a place like Michaels Crafts in your area? Quite often the basic Testors paints are sold there, and that line offers a yellow zinc chromate, and it's my favorite. Otherwise a basic flat yellow with perhaps a tiny smidgen of green will work.

Hope this helps! :lol:

• 2 years later...

I wouldn't recommend trying to mix this particular color. Quite frankly it's an easy way to waste alot of paint. The ratios to mix these very specific colors are really tight and it's VERY easy to add too much blue or green and mess it up. I had to try to match a color similar to this and ended up with a mess and a bunch of wasted paint. It CAN be done but you need a good knowledge of color theory, patience and alot more paint than you probably want to commit to something that could be solved muchmore easily by another method. I'd suggest mail order and buy several bottles at one time, believe me you'll be glad you saved yourself the headache. The old Testors color is spot on and a way better match than the Model Masters Interior Green to Zinc Chromate. The Interior Green leans way too green rather than yellow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember seeing way back when a paint reference from actual production notes for specific mixes for primers.

10 parts yellow, 1 part black gives your basic ZCY.

ZC green simply added more black. 10/2 ratio, I think.

HTH

Ross

I've tried every yellow and green zinc chromate that I could get my hands on and the only ones that satisfied my eye after curing were from Mr. Color:

351 Zinc Chromate - Type 1 (green)

352 Zinc Chromate - Type 2 (yellow)

Note that these are solvent based paints.

David

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried every yellow and green zinc chromate that I could get my hands on and the only ones that satisfied my eye after curing were from Mr. Color:

351 Zinc Chromate - Type 1 (green)

352 Zinc Chromate - Type 2 (yellow)

Note that these are solvent based paints.

David

Have to agree with you there. These paints spray really nicely as well