Trumpeter F-105D

big matt

Hello all,

Here is the new project burning a hole in my bench. Dug this monster out of the stash and figured I had nothing better to do. I had the Aires cockpit set and the Scale Aircraft Conversions landing gear to go with the Cutting Edge Fancy Girls Vic Vizcarra decal set. I don't know, just something about it caught my eye...

105.jpg

I have only done one other jet, Trumpeter's Hun, and had a great time with it so what the heck.

The Aires cockpit is awesome and I hope it works out well. Just have to repair some broken resin first.

105-1.jpg

105-2.jpg

Hope to post some progress on this giant soon.

Matt

hey bigmatt cool not a jet guy but you should go over to arc go to Research corner then click Pinups and noseart

there a very cool noseart on this bird :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Got a little work done. The Aires cockpit is pretty easy to set up so no real problems there. I always have a great time, not really, working with pe.

only my second jet and those ejection seats are too cool

museum056.jpg

I had to make some changes on the gun after I melted the plastic barrels. The brass tubes were a treat to get to fit but I think they came out ok. I did add a little more plumbing to the cannon based on pics I have seen. The kit parts were a little basic for what I wanted to see. Once I get all the glue off my fingers I might try to get it painted.

museum049.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for looking.

Matt

Not much of an update here. I just got some work done on the cannon door and the gun bay. The kit detail was pretty sparse so I put in about a ton of styrene. The gun door was flat and really thick so I sanded it down and added the bulged vents. They still need to be trimmed up but another day. The kit also had no holes for the door fasteners. The real thing has some odd patterns for the screws so I tried to get close.

thudwip2002.jpg

The fuselage is covered with vents that all have just a small amount of relief so I have started to open them up and try to create some structure, not just a black hole.

thudwip2003.jpg

I figured some styrene tubing would do

thudwip2004.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Matt

:rolleyes: And I thought I was doing good putting checkerboards on my pilots helmet? Had to scroll up and down about 5 times to see what it looked like before/after painting. Soooo, you've got one of those flip-down Borg eyepieces for doing the console demarcation lines? Laser designator for getting TWO colors on the buttons of your control column?

I almost want to ask how you MELTED your cannon barrels Matt, but some things might be better left to the imagination. :lol: When I saw you were building a jet, I had to admit it sure sounded like fun so I'm on a tangent with an A-4G. You're right, jet cockpits sure are fun! Now if i could just find one of those brushes you use that only have 3 hairs...I might be able to get some detail like yours. Smoke and mirrors, huh?! That's awesome dude, can't wait to see more. This thing must be HUGE! Later, Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at least someone has been busy on this project.

thudwip5002.jpg

I guess I didn't need that Detail and Scale book anyway.

Got the fuselage closed up and did not forget to put about a kilo of weight in it not counting the split shot in the aerial refueling boom housing.

corsairwip5001.jpg

thudwip5004.jpg

Pardon my wonderful photography here but it seems that FOD covers might be in order

thudwip5007.jpg

Thanks for looking

Matt

Hey Matt,

it looks really cool. The pit is fantastic.

One question... on the one pic of your air intake, it seams you have worked out on some stressed skin effect, am I seing right?

Cheers,

Loic

Didn't I read somewhere that dogs are like their owners,...and vice-versa? <_< How coud anybody get mad at such a lovable mug as that?! Cool dog. :o

Much as I tried to resist being led down 'the dark path' by the nose, I just had to look in and see what ya have going on. :rolleyes: You're being a bad influence. heh heh. Looking sweet as usual. I'm curious as to how you pulled off the stressed skin effect too. Use a small 1/2 round file to go along panel lines? Don't think I'd do it on the F-4, but it sure doesn't look out of place on a bruiser F-105. Can't wait to see the next set of progress pics! Later, Russ