Kinetic Sabre

LSP_Ron

Anyone here built this kit? I just openned mine, cut all bags open and spent about 20 minutes gluing the intake together and started to fit the cockpit tub.

Man this one is clunky? after preping the cockpit parts I am not sure I want to continue with this kit right now. I think I am in for alot of head aches with this one?

Anyone here built this kit? I just openned mine, cut all bags open and spent about 20 minutes gluing the intake together and started to fit the cockpit tub.

Man this one is clunky? after preping the cockpit parts I am not sure I want to continue with this kit right now. I think I am in for alot of head aches with this one?

Go here: http://mysite.verizon.net/resqt29j/

From I have read, the rest of the kit isn't too bad...

Go here: http://mysite.verizon.net/resqt29j/

From I have read, the rest of the kit isn't too bad...

The 'pit is the biggest problem. All out of proportion and lacking in details for a kit in this scale.

There are a few sink marks around the fuselage slpit too.

Nothing all that bad.

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/...ver/tmc3286.htm

hi ron------well i'm making two of these kits and i can't rate them high enough---far and away better than the has. one in my humble. use the black box resin cockpit set---not cheap but very good---AMS also does a set and it is, by repute, excellent also. i'm doing one in R.A.F. mid fifties and one korean war. i love this kit---and am still amazed that the decal manufacturers have'nt rushed to get sheets out!!!

cheers,

dave.

The 'pit is the biggest problem. All out of proportion and lacking in details for a kit in this scale.

There are a few sink marks around the fuselage slpit too.

Nothing all that bad.

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/...ver/tmc3286.htm

I e-mailed you Harold to see if you had any pits left (and sugar scoops). Hopefully you do. If so, I am not sure how to use paypal though?

I also had a look at Sprue Bros and Squadron for the black box set in case your out of them now. They are both out of stock.

Looks like this one is on hold until I find a pit because the kit one is rubbish.

Ron

Ok, I figured it out Harold.

Payment was just made for a cockpit set and a set of Sugar Scoops.

Looking forward to seeing them

Ron

You won't be disappointed. The detail is better than anything BB or Aires have put their name on.

Ok, I figured it out Harold.

Payment was just made for a cockpit set and a set of Sugar Scoops.

Looking forward to seeing them

Ron

Harolds pit is nice and adds a lot to the kit. Overall the kit is very nice to work with and looks goood when done. If you put the covers on the intake and exhaust you dont have to do much work on the internals. As your doing a Canadian bird (or so I assume by the suger scoops) CanmilAir do decals althought the price has gone up a bit. You can make a Mk 5 but to do a 6 you will have to make leading edge slats (scribing might be best). I made one and screwed up the decalling but it is ready now to be touched up and try again.

HTH

James

I only have two sets left. I put them out of production for a time. If there is a (big) resurgence of interest I would do another set of molds. Otherwise that will be it.

Thanks for all the compliments...

Harold

You can make a Mk 5 but to do a 6 you will have to make leading edge slats (scribing might be best).

Ron, if you pick your serial right, you can use the kit wing as is. The first 239 Mk.6's (23371 - 23610) had the same hard wing with fences as the Mk.5. They were later retrofitted with the slatted wing. A good rule of thumb is that if the fuse says RCAF on the side, you need scoops and slats. If the fuse is 2 letter Sqn code, and last three, the wing is hard and will not wear scoops.

Regarding the sugar scoops, they were a field add-on in late 1958-59, so not all birds wore them. Best to check refs if possible.

And if you need decals, let me know, I can hook you up. Can't help with stencils, but I can supply Leading Edge roundels, serials, red ensign, tail flashes and codes for 410, 439 or 441 Sqn.

I only have two sets left. I put them out of production for a time. If there is a (big) resurgence of interest I would do another set of molds. Otherwise that will be it.

Thanks for all the compliments...

Harold

I sent you an order for a set on Saturday Harold. Thanks

Kevin, thanks much for the offer but one of our fellow members R Palimaka sold me a set of Leading Edges "1st Wing" decals. I haven't actually sat down and looked at what I need to do on the kit vs the mk's that this decal set would be used on. I guess I should spend some time and figure out if they are Mk 5's or Mk 6's?

Ron

Hi:

I think the Leading Edge markings are for a Sabre 6, though I don't have the decals to confirm my suspision. FWIW, with the Kinetic kit being akin to a Sabre 5 you may wish to look at the CanMilAir site:

http://www.canmilair.com/index.htm

They provide extensive markings for Canadian Military Aircraft, Sabres among them, including the Sabre 5. All scales available including 1/32nd.

HTH

Mark Proulx

Hi:

I think the Leading Edge markings are for a Sabre 6, though I don't have the decals to confirm my suspision. FWIW, with the Kinetic kit being akin to a Sabre 5 you may wish to look at the CanMilAir site:

http://www.canmilair.com/index.htm

They provide extensive markings for Canadian Military Aircraft, Sabres among them, including the Sabre 5. All scales available including 1/32nd.

HTH

Mark Proulx

Thanks Mark, I looked into the canmilair route but couldn't justify something like ~$50.oo for a decal set and quite frankly couldn't figure out thier web site either. Its hugely confusing... to me anyway. (not meant as a knock, I just had a hard time) I couldn't find a picture profile of any of the decals offered nor figure out exactly what each set cost other then somewhere between $42 and $60.oo for a 1/32 sheet.

Ron, you have the same sheet I do. All of them are Mk.6's, but like I said, change the serial, and you have a Mk.5. Camo and tail markings are the same. No sugar scoops needed for the Mk.5's.

Thanks Kevin, I'll have to do some research on the serial numbers. I am truely not well versed on Cdn Sabres as I don't really build jets that often.

Ron:

Just checked the CanMilAir site:

"I have temporarily removed the "decals" and "profiles" areas of the catalogue.

The "decals" portion will be off-line for a period of approximately 3 weeks. This will allow me to go on a small vacation and not have to worry about orders coming in during my absence. Watch for this section to be back on-line around November 15."

Ron, if I remember correctly their decal sheets only cost $7.00 each. They offer a very extensive line of Sabre markings including the colorful Carte Blanche Sabre scheme as I just navigated through the site a few days ago. Perhaps a look again later would be in order.

HTH

Mark Proulx