Chance-Vought XF5U-1 'Flying Pancake'

ruzlkampf

I didn't spot this thread until it was 17 pages old but now i'm hooked. I'm loving the paper model conversion idea, it opens up a load more subjects that aren't available for large scale modelling.

Open up the thread on a later page and you'd swear you were looking at an injection moulded kit :rolleyes: Superb work

Outstanding, Russ.

As usual this Johnny-come-lately has been forgetting to look at the group builds and only just caught on to the Flying Pancake. (New Year's resolution : I will check in on the group builds REGULARLY!!)

First the Spitfire, now this, what a treat! Butler's right, it looks like it's been built from a kit.

Jean

• 2 weeks later...

Whoaaa, haven't posted any pics in 2 weeks on this build, so I'd better update a wee bit to stay on this page! :lol: Need to dump some of these very old pics off my computer, and take some much more recent ones. Here's where I wuz about 2 weeks ago after jigging up some tail feathers for this anomaly.(These are completed now) Also shows how I started on the canopy 'master' for blowing it outta clear acetate. I Milliputted this outline in, then sanded it to shape and removed it for molding. Couldn't really start on the cockpit until I had a clear piece, cuz there's some 'formers' and stuff that go behind the seat that I couldn't do until I had a canopy. I also made a clear nose-piece using the solid nose I already have in place....just in case I want to cut it off and make it look more like the prototype. Think I took some pics as I was doing all that, so I'll post em up in the future.

Anyway, here's where I wuz about 2 weeks ago after whittling up some 'directional devices', and starting on the canopy.

Walk-around time! :lol:

post-4413-1232448676.jpg

Actually have this sitting on it's gear now, and working on the props. Definitely a strange looking aerial shape. I can't help but laugh out loud and shake my head everytime I pick it up and take a gander at it! :lol: Lots of fun!

More pics when I get a chance to pause on some of my other projects. Deadline approaches, and I've gotta get this finished in time. Whoohoo! :lol: Later All, Russ

post-4413-1232449177.jpg

Looking terrific Russ! It's really only the exposed wood at the end of the prop housings that hint at this model's scratch-built origins. Otherwise, it really does look like a kit. Well done mate!

Looking forward to some more updates.

Kev

• 5 months later...

Muhwhahaha!! After a protracted period of time, I have decided to start on this 'geometric fart' again. (Nooo, I STILL haven't forgotten Kevin! :) ) As my airbrush compressor went poof...poof, and I can't do any spraying for a couple of days until the replacements show up, I feel the urge to putty something. Had to really dig around to get all the pieces for this all rounded up again and figure out where I was. Can't find the canopy or prop 'masters' I was going to use to cast and vacuform with, sooo....I'll start over again!

Got the fronts of the rudders, and leading edges of elevators all glopped with putty waiting to dry....and got to work on another canopy master. Now, you're going to look at this lumpy pile of filler over the 'pit' and say,"hey, that looks like crap"....and you'd be CORRECT! But there's a motive to my madness.(and an excuse for my sloppiness?) I am going to 'blow' 3 different canopies off this one master. First I'm going to sand this to a bubble shape with bulged sides, and an optically flat windscreen....and pull some copies. Then, I'm going to sand some more to a finer tapered shape with a flat windscreen...and pull some copies. Then sand it yet some more to a rounded windscreen that looks like what was on the actual prototype. Somewhere down the road, I should get something I like. Canopy master before sanding;

post-4413-1247320807.jpg