Spitfire Mk.I/II

Here's the second of the large scale kits I'm building for a GB over on Britmodeller.

41QEJ0ERSQL._SS500_.jpg

The Revell 1/32nd Spitfire (with the Hasegawa wings).

I promised myself not to tackle another kit before I'd finished the 1/48th Classic Airframes Boulton Paul Defiant I'm also builing, or before I made headway on the Hurricane, but as I'm building this for a friend, I thought I can't keep him waiting for it forever, so I made a start on it.

First step. Rescribing the fuselage using a sewing needle in a pin vice, Dymo tape, and using the raised lines as a guide..

_D9O0223.jpg

_D9O0225.jpg

_D9O0226.jpg

_D9O0227.jpg

I sanded back the panel lines after all that was done.

Cockpit painting started yesterday. Needs a little tarting up, black parts and seat spraying and then I'll fit it all.

_D9O0229.jpg

_D9O0232.jpg

Cheers,

Nick

Looks really good Nick! Looks very similar to the Mk.Vb kit of the same vintage. If so you're in for a very nice build with little or no fit issues. The re-scribing part is the only bad thing and you've made quick work of that! I really have to try that tape method next time...

hi nick, guys.

love your spit. check out the mdc site for resin d.h.spinner and prop. and much improved rad. and oil cooler etc. all the best mate.

dave.

p.s. aeromaster 32-18 post battle mk. 11 and v spits.(the92 squadron can be used in part to do a battle mk. 1)

cheers.

nick,

forgot to mention (shout at me if you already know) the intensifier tube for gun heating ---- the moulding just behind the exhaust opening----will need removing for mk. 1 or 11. sorry if i am a pain.

dave.

Cheers Dave,

The kit comes with no less than 4 spinners. 3 on the main sprue (I think 2 are for the Vb's which make up the wing part of the kit) and a seperate sprue for the DH 3 blade 2 pitch prop and blunt nosed spinner.

I guess the one on the seperate sprue is the one I want to use for a BoB Spitfire?

As far as decals are concerned, I'm going to use the kit decals for this build, but use a mixture of what's supplied.

There are decals for the Mk1 of 234 Sq, April 1940, with the 35'' A type roundels, and decals for a Mk2 of 340 Squadron using the 49'' roundels.

I'm simply going to use the 49'' roundels with the 234 Squadron codes, thus making it 234 Squadron post June 1940, and thus, a BoB Spit.

I will check out the decals you suggested for the time I build this kit for myself!

Oh, and that intensifier tube for gun heating, that's on the port side just by the rear of the exhaust pipes? That needs removing right?

Cheers

thats the one, mate---easy to get rid-------if only everything was that easy!!!!!!! wish i had a camera----one is coming my way, but 'cos i'm an ancient example of the species it'll take me some time to get used to it no doubt. loads of super guys on site who are spit. wise.

cheers mate.

hi, pulled mine out the stash mate------- the nearest out the box for a b o b spit are items 31 and 32 on sprue C --forget the rest for a mk.1---- just in passing fuse. roundel dia. 35". out of box but you can do almost any size with xtradecals 48 scale sheet of A1's.

cheers.

hi, pulled mine out the stash mate------- the nearest out the box for a b o b spit are items 31 and 32 on sprue C --forget the rest for a mk.1---- just in passing fuse. roundel dia. 35". out of box but you can do almost any size with xtradecals 48 scale sheet of A1's.

cheers.

Cheers fella. Thanks for all the help and pointers. Most useful.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a struggle to get any modelling done recently, but I've made some progress on the Spit.

The IP's done. Sprayed with Chaos black, drybrushed, and the dials were filled in with Klear. It's quite austere, as I don't like putting any red switches on BoB planes, as I don't think red plastic was available then.

_D9O1163.jpg

I did give in on the red fire button, as the build's not for me, and I suppose that's what people expect from a fire button..

The spade grip was remade, as the kit one was lousy. The grip and middle part are guitar string, and the firing button housing's sprue/glue gloop.

_D9O1165.jpg

The seat was painted a custom red/brown/yellow mix.

I've got some etch belts which I still have to anneal and paint, and once that's all done, I'll assemble it all.

Cheers,

Nick

Progress has been slow, but we have some movement! The cockpit's finished, and I'm ready to join the fuselage.

_D9O1563.jpg

I added a photo etch seatbelt from MDC, which was painted with my home made doped linen colour, and the silver then picked out. I glued the belts on with white glue. Not the neatest on the side of the seats I agree, but then I want them to hold, and it won't be seen when finished. I added a harness attachment point to the fuselage from a piece of Aeroclub brass wire and some fuse wire, and painted them silver.

_D9O1580.jpg

_D9O1577.jpg

_D9O1583.jpg

The oxygen hose was made from copper wire from an old flex wrapped around a tie from some dustbin bags, and then painted beige.

I added a few wires around the instrument panel, and tat's it really.

The shades of green all vary really in these shots, as I just took them quickly, but the match is the second photo down.

I've already glued the wings together, and the fuselage to wing join looks quite ropey already. The fuselage sits too high, and will need sanding down and rescribing.. <_<

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Nick

hi nick,

looking good-----but do check everything is seating correctly as i have built this one o.t.b. about 2 years ago(and one still to do with resin extras) and did not encounter any dodgy wing to fuse. -----and have done many hasegawa mk.5's down the ages (more or less the same kit-----apart from wings) with same result. just a cautionary comment mate.

cheers

dave.

hi nick,

looking good-----but do check everything is seating correctly as i have built this one o.t.b. about 2 years ago(and one still to do with resin extras) and did not encounter any dodgy wing to fuse. -----and have done many hasegawa mk.5's down the ages (more or less the same kit-----apart from wings) with same result. just a cautionary comment mate.

cheers

dave.

Thanks Dave. Funny thing is, before I joined the fueslage, I checked the two seperate halves with and without the cockpit atached against the wing root, and hey presto, same thing.