1/32 IAR 80

Radub

As I said before, any resemblance between the Combat IAR80 and the real IAR80 is purely accidental.

I know Radu...but it's all I've got. In fact, until your kit comes out, it's all there is! (Although I think there's a kit in 1/48?) That's why I said I'd better build the Combat kit first, as it will seem even more pointless once your kit is available.

Do you have any useful advice for improving the Combat kit, or is it simply too far off to bother?

Kev

Do you have any useful advice for improving the Combat kit, or is it simply too far off to bother?

Hi Kevin,

It has way too many issues and bears only a passing resemblance to the IAR80. Also, it is underscale, more like 1/36. If you are interested in getting an accurate model, you might as well start from scratch.

Radu

Hi Kevin,

It has way too many issues and bears only a passing resemblance to the IAR80. Also, it is underscale, more like 1/36. If you are interested in getting an accurate model, you might as well start from scratch.

Radu

Thanks Radu. That's disappointing, but at this stage I'm really only interested in getting my toes wet with vac kits, so I might build it anyway.

Kev

Thanks Radu. That's disappointing, but at this stage I'm really only interested in getting my toes wet with vac kits, so I might build it anyway.

Kev

Yes, it is perfect for trying your hand at building vac kits. The only way is up! :(

Radu

Thanks Geoff and Brian for your kind words, much appreciated.

Moving on...

One of the noticeable features of the IAR80/81 are the cooling gills on the nose. These allowed for the flow of air over the rear accessories of the engine.

These gills can be problematic, and here is why: first of all, on the top of the nose there are 10 large gills. Then, on each of the sides of the nose, there are 6 gills, smaller than the upper gills, and of these, the top 3 gills point one way and the bottom 3 gills point the other way. That is a staggering 22 gills to cut evenly and consistently. Usually, I carve such gills using a dental burr, but in this case I was unsure that I could get a consistent pattern.

So, here is what I did. First, I marked the location of the gills with pencil and marker. The location of each gill was carved out with a dental burr.

post-683-1257430231.jpg

When the Miliput was dry, the lot was sanded flush and I ended up with the even/repeated pattern I was looking for. The result is not 100% perfect, I need to use a bit of MrSurfacer to even some spots, but in general I got what I was looking for.

That is it for today.

Radu

post-683-1257430779.jpg