1/32 IAR 80

Radub

ok Charles,

let us know what kind of service you get from that book co. i was looking all over their site. i think i could spend some coin there if you have good luck with them.

Glen,

On the basis of my experience, I can now recommend The Aviation Book Centre with the highest possible enthusiasm. After ordering three books on February 5th -- the one on the IAR 80 and two others -- I was contacted immediately by Ms. Wendy Myers, who explained very clearly and politely that The Centre was having trouble obtaining the IAR 80 volume, which was expected soon, but that the other two books I ordered would be shipped promptly. I received those books, packed superbly, in perfect condition within about two weeks. Also, without any additional inquiries on my part, I received from Ms. Myers two subsequent e-mail messages, one assuring me that she was still pursuing the IAR 80 book and, soon thereafter, an alert that it had been shipped. The book arrived this past Monday and is excellent -- in French, but otherwise reminiscent of one of the better volumes in the old Ian Allan At War series plus highly detailed multi-view drawings, color photos, about 30 pages of color profile paintings, and extensive appendices.

Given the esoteric nature of the books that I ordered, which are unobtainable in the USA, and the distances involved, I can't possibly imagine receiving kinder, more conscientious or more efficient service. The Centre's prices and shipping charges are very reasonable as well, I think. My rating: Two thumbs up (three if I had 'em).

Charles Metz

• 2 months later...

I have been slowly working on this for the last while. The progress is low, but I turned a major corner and things should proceed much faster from this point forward.

All work concentrated on refining some issues, especially around the wingroots.

Another area where I did a lot of work is the rear empennage. The spine, as made initially was wrong in the sense that the tip tapered from the canopy to the tail. In reality, the tip was a constant from the canopy to the tail. I cut off the top of the spine and I replaced with with quarter-round strips. The spine will be later faired in with Miliput.

post-683-1242836896.jpg

Here is a photo of the underside of the wingoot. This is a critical area, but I got it all gigured out eventually. It is all covered in Miliput and it needs to be refined/sanded further, but the bulk of the hard work is done.

post-683-1242837147.jpg

And this is a photo with the wing centre removed.

That is all for today. More photos soon.

I also did a lot of work on the wings. I will show some photos soon.

Radu

post-683-1242837256.jpg

Nice to see an update on this one Radu. I have the Combat kit waiting, and while I believe it's terrible in terms of accuracy, I'll be using your build as inspiration to build it anyway (and maybe even correct it a little).

Kev

• 5 months later...

Work went on for the last few months, but there was little to show because it was all sanding and shaping the main parts - imagine a big cloud of dust and you get the idea.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

here is some work on the central section of the fuselage where the wheels retract. the amount of "touch-ups", Miliput and other fillers is already evident in this photo.

post-683-1257186201.jpg