Tamiya Zero

LSP_Ron

Thanks guys

I am debating how I will weather it right now. Since it's a Pearl Harbour Zero I doubt it was to beat up and pretty new. I will give it a panel line wash but not sure which method just yet. Either oils using burnt umber or pastels

Ron

Beautiful work, looks stunning can't wait to see this one finished.

Your views on the weathering are spot on, at this point in the war, these Aircraft were like new pins, it was only later on that the Japanese warbirds became so badly weathered. I agree with your panel wash. I'm going to be leading a GB on another forum and building both an Arii 1/32 Zero (trying to turn a sows ear in to silk purse) and the hasegawa one as well (both type 52's) I have both the Tamiya type 21, and 52 kits, but I don't want to rush them so they will be at the bottom of my stash for a while.

Stunning work,keep up the good work!

Dave

Thanks all,

Although this is a great kit, I will say it’s a fiddly build and not for the faint hearted. I don’t think I’ve build a kit with so many areas of potential builder created problems. You really have to pay extremely close attention to part orientation. No drinking beer while building or you will ruin this kit!! Many parts fit upside down just fine. I mounted the upper gear doors upside down, mounted the wheel hubs backwards (right to left) and spent over an hour on the engine trying to figure out why the exhaust would not fit. I thought I had the front bank of cylinders out 180 to the rear and took it apart to find I had it right. I had myself convinced Tamiya had messed up, after another cup of Java I finally found my mistake, I mounted the cowl attachment rings upside down! Basically putting the whole engine upside down. They fit perfectly this way. With a little debonder I managed to get all these mess ups fixed with no damage.

Speaking of damage, forget that working retracting landing gear. Man it’s fiddly and flimsy. I mounted the gear to try it out. I retracted one leg and popped off a gear door. When I opened it the spring loaded locking mechanism locked up solid. The gear will not retract at all and here is no way to get at the parts now to find out what happened. At least it locked down!

I started decaling last night. I am having some issues with silvering, I hope a touch of liquid cement in these areas will solve this.

Not a beginner kit. More to come,

P5240001.jpg

P5240003.jpg

P5240004.jpg

P5240006.jpg

P5240007.jpg

P5250009.jpg

P5250010.jpg

P5250011.jpg

HI OH Yes it's coming together really nice. Can't wait to see it finished.

Sounds like you have to really stay on your toes and follow the instructions to the letter on this kit to get it to come out right.

Texas :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Ron,

Boy, you sure are making quick work of this! When I did my A6M5 last year I did the exact same thing and put the engine together backwards. <_< Took a bit of work with a crowbar to put that right....

What color have you used for the main paint? There is so much controversy about the actual shade but yours looks right to me at least.

Thanks all. I been away all week on biz so there is not much progress this week. I did finish the engine though. Here it is.

Dave, I am glad to here I am not the only one that had issues with an upside down engine. The paint I used was MM Imperial Japanese Lt Army green lightened with white. I think it looks the part?

P5260001.jpg

P5260002.jpg

P5260003.jpg

P5260005.jpg

P5260006.jpg

P5260007.jpg

Thanks, I guess if a person builds enough over 35 years you kinda get a pattern of building that doesn't take as long?

Here is the last of the pics. Its done now. I think I'll stark my Hase Ki-84 Frank!

P5300001.jpg

P5300002.jpg

P5300003.jpg

P5300004.jpg

P5300005.jpg.

P5300007.jpg