Bearcat build.....

Jack

Well guys, as i already told in another thread, i bought the F8F-1 trump kit the other day and here's my intitial inspection:

- on first sight this is one neat little beauty to build, it's crisp, detailed up to a limit (maybe some more wiring could be done in the main wheel bay area) and accurate in dimensions.

- it is a shame though that in this scale they couldn't make a clear cockpit canopy without a prominent moulding ridge on top op it from up front to the back, but that ofcourse will be dealt with)

- the kit is a mixture of a early and late F8F-1, noticeable by the lack of the roll over bar (late version) behind the pilots seat, whereas the "groundplate" behind the cockpit headrest has a definite square opening at the back in which a peglike piece of plastic rod should be placed in order to simulate the roll over bar.

And even in the instruction leaflet it is visible but nothing is mentioned about it AND the corresponding pieces to build it up aren't present on any sprue.

-So actually this kit is meant to be a early F8F-1 Bearcat (according to information taken from "F8F Bearcat in action" by squadron/signal pub.), so one could just fill in the square opening mentioned and leave the roll over bar out, but then again one of the decal options is a late version, viz. the "Air group nineteen" version.

Also the rocket and pylon issue is a late version supplement.

-Another point of interest is the simulation of the stitching on the control surfaces, which to my likings are a bit overdone.

The manufacturers made a fairly good simulation on the fabric covered surfaces, but the stitching look like overgrown staples sticking out a bit too far.

I think i'll just go over them with some sanding paper and such.

But as i said before, i WILL SURELY enjoy this build, it is a beauty... :P :P

jack.

(Pictures to follow)

Well guys, as i already told in another thread, i bought the F8F-1 trump kit the other day and here's my intitial inspection:

- the kit is a mixture of a early and late F8F-1, noticeable by the lack of the roll over bar (late version) behind the pilots seat, whereas the "groundplate" behind the cockpit headrest has a definite square opening at the back in which a peglike piece of plastic rod should be placed in order to simulate the roll over bar.

And even in the instruction leaflet it is visible but nothing is mentioned about it AND the corresponding pieces to build it up aren't present on any sprue.

I've been cutting plastic on this one and although I agree it isn't mentioned anywhere in the instructions, I think part D9 is the late roll over bar. Looking forward to more of your comments because as usual, any build of mine will take forever.

Gary

I've been cutting plastic on this one and although I agree it isn't mentioned anywhere in the instructions, I think part D9 is the late roll over bar. Looking forward to more of your comments because as usual, any build of mine will take forever.

Gary

Gary, you're totally right on this one, thanks for pointing it out, but D9 is indeed the late roll over bar.

Funny thing still, is the fact that it isn't mentioned in the instruction, better yet, like i indicated, the opening to receive the aft end of the bar is clearly visible in the drawing, but no mention of it,...oh well, mistery solved, thanks again... ;)

J.

I have also started the F8F. So far the only real problems I have came across is parts C-9 and C4 are VERY fragile. Broke booth of them. No promblem just cut the ends off and replced with plastic rod. Also the tail wheel is easley broken. I am going to try and prime and paint a few parts soon.

Jeff

One thing you need to remember is that earlier F8F's were retrofitted with the roll bar as a kit to be installed in the field, so this part, unless your specific referance shows this not installed on the aircraft you are modeling then install it.

My kit is coming, but I do have a large referance on the Bearcat and this is what most have written.

Cheers

One thing you need to remember is that earlier F8F's were retrofitted with the roll bar as a kit to be installed in the field, so this part, unless your specific referance shows this not installed on the aircraft you are modeling then install it.

My kit is coming, but I do have a large referance on the Bearcat and this is what most have written.

Cheers

Hi Eagle, I hope that you can share some of your large reference on the F8F as I have zip, zero, none,and google doesn't bring up much.

Blessings, Chuck

Just got my F8F today.... I'm looking forward to doing a French aircraft (Vietnam). Unless somebody comes out with markings soon, I'll either have to wait or raid my decal spares depot and see what I have.

After a cursory look through, it would appear you can't build this with an open canopy.

Rather disappointing considering this was an expensive Trumpeter kit. I'll have to cut the canopy frame off (it's molded to the fuselage) or come up with some other solution.

Anybody else notice this? I mean, really.

Other than that, this will make a unique addition to my collection.

Regards,

Tim W.

Just got my F8F today.... I'm looking forward to doing a French aircraft (Vietnam). Unless somebody comes out with markings soon, I'll either have to wait or raid my decal spares depot and see what I have.

After a cursory look through, it would appear you can't build this with an open canopy.

Rather disappointing considering this was an expensive Trumpeter kit. I'll have to cut the canopy frame off (it's molded to the fuselage) or come up with some other solution.

Anybody else notice this? I mean, really.

Other than that, this will make a unique addition to my collection.

Regards,

Tim W.

I noticed that also. A two piece canopy with a one piece frame. Oh, and a very nasty seam running down the middle of the canopy. :)

Hi Eagle, I hope that you can share some of your large reference on the F8F as I have zip, zero, none,and google doesn't bring up much.

Blessings, Chuck

FAOW #35

Aircraft Profile #107

Aerodata International ,Us Navy Carrier Fighters of WWII

The American Fighter by Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers

Squadron in Action

Flight Magazine , Fall 1996

SAMI, January 2001

Airpower magazine, 1986?

Air Forces International, March 1989

Air International, May 1980

Air Classics, Bearcat on the cover, full magazine article, sorry no date

There are web-sites as well, just google

Hope these help

I am never one to cut Trumpeter any slack, but in this one, they're right. You can build it with the canopy open, and those rails on top of the fuselage should really be there. Their A-team produced this one, it is a beauty. Only thing I dislike is the rather bad wheel well detail.

renoa05_l.JPG

A few Bearcat details found on the net:

From the Duxford F8F-2P

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin/f8f-2p_walk.htm

From my old (long gone) Bearcat webpage, 44 detail photos in one zip file (4 Mb aprox.):

http://rapidshare.com/files/102273097/Bearcat.zip

For the life of me, I cannot remember who was the friend that took these photos and send them to me... Ben Brown, perhaps?...