21st Century Me-262B-1a/U1 1/18th scale

johng

Just got mine in this afternoon. This is just put together quickly without any mods or the tail markings which were included in the box. The wings and tailplanes were very tight fits so they'll need to be removed again and trimmed a little for a better fit. The main color in the pics is slightly yellowed due to overhead lighting and no flash. True color is light grey.

post-4132-1200712563.jpg

post-4132-1200712655.jpg

and last...post-4132-1200713993.jpg

The landing gear will need some work of course, plus brake lines, but the wheels and tires are pretty accurate moldings. The main wheels are painted all black so need steel paint in depressed areas near the outer edges and brake hoses in centers. They missed the rear foothold for the radar operators position but others who have made this kit have forgotten this detail too. Most obvious thing made wrong are the pylons for the auxillary tanks. The design doesn't look right and they are too deep, at least they look that way to me. The pilot's position in the cockpit has a fair amount of detail and the IP has the guage rims and switches picked out well. The RO's compartment is a little sparse, as is historical info on this area. The few pics of the South African museum plane are of poor quality and don't show much anyway. The Brits stripped most of the gear from there before sending it out so the people at 21st didn't have much to go on.

Overall, I'm pleased with this model. The fit and finish are good, no glue smears and the markings are cleanly done.

Good morning all. It is here, anyway. 5F below zero at the moment. ;)

Yes, the plane is large, 23" long, 28" wingspan and 9" high at the tail. This one gives me three of these beasties. Have two A models besides this, and I have NO idea what I'm gonna do with them! :lol: Should get one more though to make up a schwarm. :ph34r:

Ted, the panel lines are crisp and not too deep, and all look correct. There is no riveting on the panels just as there shouldn't be, but there are screw heads on all the access panels and the panels covering the fuel tanks on the bottom of the fuselage.

ggc, the swastika decals were included in the box. The sheet has four different types including the all black, segmented ones that are correct for this plane. The decals are thin, with little film to trim and go on well.

Mark & wumm, yes, I forgot to mention the missing FuG 218 antenna. That is a piece easily made and added. A source I have suggests that the piece, seen on Red 8, is just the mount for the antenna and that the array and radar itself was not or was possibly never installed. There should also be a small splitter tab on the bottom center of each engine nacelle. I've seen these in photos and on some plans of the aircraft. Not sure what they are but, again, they're easily made.

The pics were taken on our dining room table and I had to clear out when the wife got home before I could get shots of the cockpit and closeups of the details. Will post more later today if the wife will indulge me a little more. :lol:

A "splitter tab" on the bottom of the jet nacelles?? The thingy in question was an oil drool drain and was not a standard feature on '262s. While "red 9" had them, none of the other 'B1a/U1s did, and a quick scan of photos only found 111711, the famous Hans Fey machine, to have it as well.