rebuilding the 1:18 F-104G as a TF-104G

Menelaos

I build the back cockpit and started building the instruments.

Dsci1473.jpg

Dsci1484.jpg

DSCI0869.jpg

DSCN2422.jpg

Menelaos, as I can see by the pictures, the side panels are made by styrene and later you applied paper on (printed B&W cockpit diagram?) to simulate the detail. If i am not mistaken, same technique repeated on front panel. OK, placing a piece of paper or decal on side & front panel may be enough for 1/72 scale, but the 1/18 scale is big enough and such details could (and should) be simulated 3D. If I was you and had this giant in my hands, I would try different way on cockpit detailing. I know that you've already close the cockpit, but is it too late to try build it again? As you know, cockpit is an eye catcher on aircraft scale models and this Starfighter is not an exception. Please feel free to check the following pictures to understand what I am saying. Panel built by AdriaN (MLT).

img5458rx.jpg

img5463t.jpg

Edited by Nick_Karatzides

These panels look like the ESCI 1:12 Kit... (I have it here...) But iφ they are downscaled in 1:18 they are indeed perfect.

Nick, the panels in my kit are NOT ONLY paper, The instrument panels for example are multiple layers with knops and switches made from plastic styrene or metal.

THIS is MY technique. The effect is very realistic.

I don't say this is the perfect way... But if you can build it better, so please go on and show your work.

Edited by Menelaos

Nick, the panels in my kit are NOT ONLY paper, The instrument panels for example are multiple layers with knops and switches made from plastic styrene or metal. THIS is MY technique. The effect is very realistic. I don't say this is the perfect way... But if you can build it better, so please go on and show your work.
Menelaos, maybe I am wrong, but I feel your answer is a little aggressive. Isn't it? If you do not accept other people's opinion or technical advice, please say so. As mentioned before, the 1/18 scale is big enough to require maximum detail. If applying paper on side panels is your technique for "maximum detail", I have to accept it & respect your work as is. As for my own work, you know where to find it. As far as I remember, you've seen it and loved it (feel free to click HERE or HERE to check your own comments).

I'm sure you can do much better and I still believe that it's not too late to consider a cockpit rebuilding.

Nick, we had that discussion on PM section and I alredy exmplaned my position on that, and I was wondering why you wrote that again.
As you can read above (and on many F-104G article) I allready mentioned that the basis of the panels are a scaled copy and I think everyone knows it here. I'm not aggresive at all. Yes I know it's not perfect and one can build wonders out of it (look at the topic of the 1:16 Talon).
Perhaps I could do those wounders as well, but at the moment this is what I produce and I'm very happy about it.
I know your work and what kind of wonders you already build, no question and I wish to see more of those in the future

To open the Kit again...no way it will be destroyed.

I have many more 1:18 104s in stock to be build. So stay tuned for some more copied paper panels..! :frantic:

Edited by Menelaos

first cotes of paint (Humbrol enamels)

the patern is not yet at its last contour...

The wing pylons are on their places too...

And Mike, yes it will be a HAF-TF (The german TF is not possible, because of the MTU J79...)

DSCN2793.jpg

DSCN2794.jpg

DSCN2796.jpg

DSCN2797.jpg

to be conn.......

Edited by Menelaos

• 2 weeks later...