REVELL P-47 D "Bubbletop"

Chris/Germany

Great stuff Chris! Thanks for the extra effort on showing us the step by step. Especially with the Jug. I have a pile of them, and always want to get going on them. With your postings, it is a big help on getting them going for me. Now I have to get the P-40E done ASAP so I can get to the Jugs. Thanks again and regards, Erik.

Ok, after not beeing in the mood for scribing those damned panel lines of the kit ( one major fault of this issue) I decided to finish and fix the second major inaccuracy: the landin gear. worst thing is the oleo which is definetely too long, when the Jug is standing they should be nearly in "in" position, otherwise the Jug stands on her feet like a "Fieseler Storch".
I prefer to make a new landing gear from aluminium tubings with different diameters that fit exactly into another, I would highly recommend to try this with your next Jug, it's nothing magic in it, and it really takes not much more time than trying to fix the mistakes of the gear from the kit.
The alu-tubes can be found in a RC-modellers store and I prefer them ( you also can use brass-tubings) 'cause aluminium is very easy to handle: can be cut with a sharp ( new) blade of your X-acto, can be sanded and bend into right shape and easyly be fixed with drop of super-glue.

post-4-1080995855.jpg

Now it comes to the worst part of the current/ old REVELL issue:preparing wings and fuselage.
Panel lines are rescribed, the service panels are small parts of aluminium, cutted and sanded to the right shape and applied with what I call "Hot-metal-technic". This technic will be described detailed in a 4-part article 'bout building this Jug exclusively here in LSP for the very first time. Just to make you curious: all you need is a hot soldering iron!
Starboard lower wing half.....

post-4-1081018857.jpg

main work has begun: preparation of the fuselage halfs. Panel lines rescribed, surface sanded down, some areas removed to be replaced by scratchbuilt parts of aluminium like described in the pic.

post-4-1081120314.jpg

Here's a detail shot of the little cover right before the vertical trim-tab, made from a oblique sanded brass tubing. After the paint-job is done a piece of brass- wire can be inserted to make it look real

post-4-1081195279.jpg

Stop! You're killing me!

I've got this 109 to "finnish" and then a client's dewo...last night I looked at my T-bolt collection and started bringing boxes down after seeing this stuff!!

You are costing me my sanity! I am on the 12-step Jug-o-holic's program, and this is pushing me into relapse...

"one day at a time...one day at a time..." :blink:

You know Chris (Novak),
The thing I hate the most in your messages is that you make everything seems so easy that we just do exactly what Chris (Sherland) did: take a look on that old Revell T-bolt...
I for one can't loose my focus, please. I'm about to start an old Hasegawa Me-262... I have nothing about it. Now, about the P-47...
Aaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!!!...

THanx mates! If it looks easy, that's the way it should...cause it really is!No " exotic" materials, just a a few pieces of modelling aluminium and plywood and a little bit pacience........and Chris: you should be quiet, got your mail, and your brass landing gear is at least one level higher in detail than mine!
cheers
Chris

Ok, while working on fuselage and wings I prepared a few resin-parts needed for the interior....yes, it will be another cutaway......as described in the pic. On the first two Jugs I made this parts like the ribs from plywood and the parts for the air channels from balsa but after I was sure that I'm building at least 4 Jugs I made some molds for the most used parts to make some resin copies ( saves a lot of time..)
In this build I will not describe ( also not in the article) the special technic how to make ribs and stringers, this is a theme for a special feature article I will do for LSP in near future, nevertheless a few pics of the steps will be posted.
Here are the resin parts....

post-4-1081280376.jpg