REVELL P-47 D "Bubbletop"

Chris/Germany

.....and here the ribs mounted in the aft-fuselage after a 3 1/2 hour session. Always a challenge to fix these thin resin parts in the right place without breakin them, that's why I prefer wooden ribs ( like the last one, broke the resin-copy, so I made a new one)

post-4-1081292477.jpg

here the fuselage backwards the cockpit is painted ( sprayed), although I know that most of these areas were painted in the airforces specific primer I prefer to give the inner areas, especially the metal parts, a "factory fresh" finish by makin' them silver / alu, gives the finished model a more "technical" look. Exception here: the area forewards the cockpit: firewall mounted ( plywood), area is ready to be filled with interior, f.e. the liquid-tanks ( oil/fuel/cooler liquids) made of massive pieces of Balsa-wood: absolute easy to handle, can be cutted, sanded, prepared with putty and finally painted with any colour you want ( acrylic or enamels)

post-4-1081464029.jpg

Ok, time for this big cowling......here she is with the molded flaps removed and new ones added from......yes, aluminium. Also notice the little aluminium-buckles I added , as you see you can apply even very small parts with my "hot-metal-technic".

Front left....

post-4-1081631064.jpg

Chris, I love the technique u use for producing the detail panels. I use aluminium sheeting extensivelyh especially when I remove panels and to replace wheel covers and parts you normally like to be really thin. I will try your hot iron technique for fitting them on. Much better than glue and the parts will sink into the plastic. Must try it out immediately. You must let us in one one secret. How do you feel when you are cutting a great big gaping hole in the middle of a fuselage or wing upper surface??? I bet you need to down a few beers before actually starting to cut!!

Oh Brian, I remember the very first time I did this to a kit 3 years ago, it was one of the new released HASEGAWA Me 109s which did cost almost nearly 50 EUROS. I had the portside fuselage-half in one hand and the Dremel with a mill in it in the other hand and I thought: oh man, do you really know what you're doin'? if it dont work you have scrapped a kit for a lot of money!
But it worked, and when I'm doing this today it's like many other things when you're modelling, I'm sure you and some others know that too: Think twice before doing it, think about it again and then it will work.

cheers

Chris