Bronco

Jack

Jack,

WWWWEEELLLL Now!!!!!It looks like the end of a GREAT Scracthbuild of the Bronco for the master Builder.Now i have to get the XB-43 done.And for the contest tomorrow.How much money are u going to give the judges?NOT!!!If u don't take first place with that puppy.Then someone must have been smoking something,or the wine was very GOOD!

But any who!Best of :UCK and an article to show us all what it takes to pop a bronco.And if u'er reading this.A Bronco would be the cats MEOW!Again.GOOD LUCK TO U and BRONCO.Larry

Well guys, here it is, it shows the Bronco at our nationals together with a brief "work in progress", but alas no winner, not even "bronze", let alone some comment, any comment......

Oh well, you can't win'em all, levels were very high and i guess my suspected inexperience at finishing a good paintjob did the trick.

But....i really enjoyed working at this model, my hats off to Lee White, there were some quirks but nothing that a scalpel, superglue and some bondo couldn't fix.

I learned some new techniques, more efficient ways of forming plastic and ofcourse the need for more "paint-experiments"

And that's what it's all about, ain't it??

Untill next time, happy modeling

Jack

post-4-1099774984.jpg

BTW guys, ...have you ever attended a IPMS National and all of a sudden you're confronted with a beautifull girl, topless, being airbrushed by an "artist" in beautifull colors and shades, and afterwards she's only wearing a string, and the rest of her body is all "airbrush" from top till bottom and the end result is she's doing a dance in front of all these "wacko" builders....????

Man, these nationals keep getting better and better....... :D

(well guys, if this site would have its origin in the old world......i would publish the picture i made of her...you bet your bottom dollar...no pun intended.... B)

Hi Jack,

A little reply from the contest committee on your beautiful Bronco. We (as in the committee members) were very happy to see your model in the contest. I'll try to explain a little bit:

Our judging system this year wasn't based on 1st 2nd and 3rd places. It was possible that more models in one category won Gold, Silver or Bronze. On the other hand, there also was the possibility that not all medals would be awarded, point in case being Aircraft Straight-From-The-Box which only got ONE Silver medal. The medals don't correspond with the medals of earlier years whatsoever. Then it was just a case of picking the three best models in a category. If theoretically the category was filled with shitty built and finished models, the medals would go to not very beautiful models! This year was different, the bar was raised so that you would REALLY have to cross a "benchmark of quality" to get a medal.

Don't see Bronze as a somewhat lesser medal. To get Bronze one must have the basics completely right. No glue marks, alignment right, no sanding marks etc. etc. etc. To see what we mean take a look at the IPMS USA Competion Handbook. It lists all the basics that a competition model should adhere to ( a bit crappy English, but I don't know how to write it more correctly). That's the benchmark for Bronze. If it is finished to an even higher level, then Silver is in order. Gold is reserved for the best of the best, the truly excellent models.

So as I said in the beginning of my reply, we found your Bronco a beautiful model but there were some issues in the basics that made that it fell a little bit short of getting Bronze. I will mail these to you directly. Once again: we thoroughly enjoyed your model and appreciate the amount of work and love put into it. Its the kind of heroic project I would personally hesitate to commit myself to!! B)

As to the "comment, ANY comment" question you had: we had about 350 models in competition. It was just physically impossible to get each and everyone a jurors' comment although I would have liked to do that. As you have experienced, the competion space was closed for much longer than planned. That was because the new system of judging took much longer than we had foreseen... Something we have to keep in mind for next year!

I hope this reply satisfies some of your questions and I hope you'll be present on the 2005 edition of Euro Scale Modelling!!

Cheers & best regards,

Erik Bosch

member contest committee.

Hello Erik,

Thank you very much for your comments, and your explanation on the jury system used.

Let me tell you from the start that, though ofcourse "winning" is nice, i participated in the contest to actually get some fresh and constructive comments on building in general but at painting in particular, and so i was a bit "lost" without the feed back so to speak... B)

But as i already mentioned i realized that benchmark levels were pretty high, so i was mislead by my conservative way of looking at the trade...

I was also amazed at the amount of models present in competition, so in general this was a very satisfying IPMS Nationals.

Looking forward to your tips and/or comments.

Regards,

jack.

Hi Jack,

A (very short) e-mail is on the way about the basically 2 "problems" that were "found". It is very difficult to get in really more detail since I don't have all the specifics "on my retina" anymore, so to speak. "Op mijn netvlies" sounds better, but no one understands that...! B)

If you're interested in some laid-back friendly discussion of modelling in general and maybe your Bronco in particular, I'd very much like to invite you to our next IPMS 'Regio-avond" of Regio Midden on November 26th in the Dorpshuis in the village of Westbroek under the smoke of Utrecht. The head judge will be there too, so you can talk to all the people who judged your category. The evening will last from 19.30 until 22.30.

The next Regio-avond will be held on December 17th, it is planned that SIG Naval Aviation will attend too. To top things off there will be a very small, very friendly Regio competition, the last of the 4 organised by the Regio this year.

Let me know!!

Best regards,

Erik.

Jack,

As far as I'm concerened, your model is already a winner in most of our eyes. I know from personal experience just frustrating it is to have given your all in making what you (and others) believe to be an award winning model, only to find that it gets (seemingly) nowhere on the day. All you can do is the total of being down-hearted, that is re-double your efforts to improve. Thankfully, there is much encouragement from all of the members on this site to help you along :) Everyone (including the contest judges) appreciated your efforts, even if you didn't get any official feed back to that effect - which is exactly what you need to improve!. Here in the UK, I would suspect that your efforts would have earned an 'Highly Commended' or 'Merit' award at minimum (something that you may wish to discuss with Erik, I'm sure that he will help you if he can). Keep heart and keep up the good work (I am still striving to improve, even after my competition success last month).

Good luck and well done

Derek