Natural Metal Finish Systems

AngoMango

I plan (at some stage) to do the Trumpeter 1/24 mustang, and that leads me to the question I have:

Is there any Natural Metal Finish systems that don't require an airbrush? I would exclude the Bare Metal foil, because it would cost a fair bit to completely cover a 1/24 mustang in that stuff. One sheet of BM Foil here in Australia is about $20 Aus.

Any tips or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AngoMango.

Inexpensive system would be to use regular aluminum foil like you use in cooking and foil glue. There was an article on how to do it somewhere, and it turned out nice! Anyone remember where that article was? I can't even remember if it was on the web or in print!

I'm not completely sure exactly what you mean by "natural metal finish", but an inexpensive way to create the effect is Model Master spray "metalizer", which buffs up to a really nice finish. You can get "aluminum", "stainless steel", "gunmetal", "titanium"...any number of shades....all buffable ( note: they also sell a "sealer" - DON'T use it or you'll flatten... 'matte'... out the finish ) - HTH - Craig in Daytona

Hello Ango Mango.... I too have taken an interest in the foiling technique from a certain fellow by the name of Bucky Shefield. He wrote an article in the Fine Scale mag back in 2002, July. You can find him lurking around on Hyperscale website, nice guy to ask about this foiling thing... as well there is an online article here also from him:http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/april/aviation/foiled_f84.htm

give it a try. It is best to probably start out as I have on an older junked out kit. I used a 32nd P-39 that was started and parted by someone else. It is very interesting to see how the foil application goes. Another tip, I think this comes from Chris Sherland here (when he foiled some spinner parts for his P-47) was to apply the foil adhesive with a credit card rather than a brush, this avoids the brush stroke marks that appear sometimes when the foil adhesive has been applied to thick. As well I think Bucky has a few of his 48th scale birds that he has foiled available in the gallery section of Hyperscale: P-39, and F-84 as well as a Tamiya P-47. Take a look and let us know how your work goes along.... this foil application thing is rather interesting to do, to see, and it sure as hell looks like aircraft duralumin after it is done. As I take it you are in Aus down under.... you will need to get a hold of some future floor polish, I can't remember what it is called in you neck of the woods, something like johnson floor wax? Well, I am sure someone else might be able to jmp in here and give some more info. I too would love to foil up a 24th stang!!!

Good luck and have fun! And before I forget, the foil adhesive from Microscale(?) is available from Hannants and it last a long time!

Cheers 'mate

Alan

I was just thinking about this subject myself, about the foil and the future as im in oz too...That link is interesting...will have to give that a try...

When you find out what Future is called here please post it too

It just occured to me that the dry transfer stencil type decals would be a better look with foil...anyone tried this?

I would argue that foil is going to be MUCH more of a challenge than a buffing metalizer from a can. Just be sure you prep your surface way beyond what you think is good enough...take a break, then prep some more :o

BTW: Welcome to LSP!!!

Hello guys funny i just read this posting i'am working on

now a 1/32 of course he he he a post war RCAF P-51D in NMF

i'am about 5 days away from putting foil on still have to make the Flaps

down and couple little things, i'am going to use BMF up here in Canada

i pay $10.00 a sheet i live with that price for now. I hope to have it done in about 2 weeks

or so if i don't piss around it's going to be in RCAF 403 Sqn colors White spinner and tail rudder

white to rest NMF. Well enough BS from me back to my little pony, take care all and happy

modeling to you all.

Steve :o

Blind Bay B.C.

Thanks heaps for the responses guys! Being new to the whole discussion scene, I am quite overwelmed at everyones willingness to assist a professional idiot like myself!

I'll have a sniff around at some of the suggested websites, and try some techniques when i have the time.

But as I mentioned to LSP Chris, I need to finish my 1/24 trumpeter zero first. Only about half way there!

Thanks all of you,

AngoMango.