PWMP Mig 19/F-6 Decal sheet

Grizly

I find it impossible to replicate a natural metal finish on my models. Accordingly, in the process of researching possible schemes for my Trumpeter Mig 19, the sole decal option that I could find that appealed to me was PWMP's decals for a Pakistani F-6 (MiG-19) for No. 15 Sqn. “Cobras” in grey camouflage with black and white checkerboards on the rudder and nose. Unfortunately, said sheet is no longer available and my email correspondence exchange with the folks at PWMP have lead me to the conclusion that a reprint is unlikely (within my lifetime). Is there anybody out there who is willing to part with that portion of the sheet or, failing that, could anyone provide a quality scan of the sheet and instructions so that I could have a custom copy made at a local printing outlet?

Not too long ago I posted a similar request-I'd tried PWMP as well-but also for the Pakistani decals from Trumpeter's FT-6, which LSP Matt kindly sent me, however the only other reply I got was from Paul Parkes, Paul@Parkes682Decals who can be found on Britmodeller.com, anyway he said he was planning to produce a set, so maybe you should get in touch with him, as I will as I'm in need of the Squadron markings, I'm going to do a training school plane

It's worth bearing in mind that the fin fillet for the kit is too shallow and short-the 4+ publication is a good reference-also the Pakistani planes used a Martin Baker 10L, Flightpath have a Bae Hawk in the pipeline, which uses that seat so sometime in the new year I'm going to give him a bell and see if he's made the masters for it.

Hope this helps!

I have that sheet Grizzly as I was going to do one also. I may have already given some of it up to someone else a while back. Let me see what I have left on it.

PM me if you don't hear from me after awhile, it is crazy here this time of year.

Further to my last. I too recognized that the PAF F-6 had a variant of the Martin-Baker Mk-10 seat and assumed, for modelling purposes, that it would not have differed significantly from that carried in the Tornado (it too is a Mk-10). Indeed, I have exmples of the Mk-10 as offered by both Black Box and TAC Scale (now offered by CAM, I believe) for the Revell GR-1 kit. The Black Box seat is a very snug fit in the Trumpeter cockpit and the TAC Scale seat will definitely not fit as it is too wide. Whether or not the Mk-10 seat offered by Paragon is suitable is unknown as I don't have an example.

• 2 weeks later...
Further to my last. I too recognized that the PAF F-6 had a variant of the Martin-Baker Mk-10 seat and assumed, for modelling purposes, that it would not have differed significantly from that carried in the Tornado (it too is a Mk-10). Indeed, I have exmples of the Mk-10 as offered by both Black Box and TAC Scale (now offered by CAM, I believe) for the Revell GR-1 kit. The Black Box seat is a very snug fit in the Trumpeter cockpit and the TAC Scale seat will definitely not fit as it is too wide. Whether or not the Mk-10 seat offered by Paragon is suitable is unknown as I don't have an example.

The Mk. 10 seat in the PAF F-6s had a markedly different headbox than the Tornado seat. The headbox sides are angled outward toward the bottom. I think it may be similar to the seat in the Hawk T.1

The PAF flew the Mig-19/F-6 with the Mk10 seat as in the Hawk. When I was building mine someone was kind enough to send me these pics of the Hawk seat.post-1264-1198965235.jpg

I have more but everyone may not be interested. PM me and I'll send you the rest, if you want. BTW I have that PWMP sheet. I can probably spare that F6 with the checkerboards. :lol: Gawdy schemes don't interest me.

Sincerely,

David

• 3 weeks later...

I actually already have a replacement seat, included in the cockpit set by Pavla: http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/...m_num=PAVC32001

Of course, I am not sure if it is the correct one for the Pakistani aircraft! Which seat would you do?

Just an FYI that there is another aftermarket item for this aircraft, although the Pavla set seems pretty hard to find.

Also, forgot to tell you Grizzly, that I checked my sheet and am planning on doing the same aircraft that I think you want to do. I could spare decals for another aircraft, but the sheet has only one set of national markings so that might be a problem.

Let me know if you can't get them elsewhere and I will dive further to see what I could cobble up.

David/Darthputty, your offer of the required decal sheet is greatly appreciated & have responded directly to you via LSP email service in the hopes of coming to an exchange. As for the configuration of the specific Martin-Baker Mk-10 carried, while certainly not the KK-2 offered in the Pavia resin set, is it not possible that it did not have a headbox as shown in the photograph? My main reference source to date has been the web site dedicated to ejection seats ( http://www.seatejectcolor.com/seat/ ) which, while showing the KK-2 as applicable to the (early?) version of the F-6, does show pictures of the MB Mk-10L being applicable to the Pakistani F-7s. From this, I have, perhaps erroniously, deduced that it was a similar version of the 10L carried in the upgraded F-6s. I'd be interested in your take on the reference web site.

Grizly (aka Iain)

Grizly,

When I was researching my build (which I haven't gotten to yet), I posted a similar question. The answer was that all F6's and FT6's delivered to Pakistan, were fitted with the MB Mk 10PKD ( which is similar to the Mk10L) and "westernized avionics". The 4+ book on the Mig-19 has two fairly good pictures of a Pakastani F6 (page 18 and 19) clearly showing an identical headrest to the pic I posted above. I think the main reason people get confused over the seat is that there are several versions of the MB Mk 10.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse anyone further.

Sincerely,

David

Harold I will definately order a few of the seats if you make them.

Grizly,

When I was researching my build (which I haven't gotten to yet), I posted a similar question. The answer was that all F6's and FT6's delivered to Pakistan, were fitted with the MB Mk 10PKD ( which is similar to the Mk10L) and "westernized avionics". The 4+ book on the Mig-19 has two fairly good pictures of a Pakastani F6 (page 18 and 19) clearly showing an identical headrest to the pic I posted above. I think the main reason people get confused over the seat is that there are several versions of the MB Mk 10.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse anyone further.

Sincerely,

David

Harold I will definately order a few of the seats if you make them.

I was under the impression (perhaps I actually read it in the Squadron "In Action" book) that the first F-6's donated to Pakistan by China post 1967 but prior to the 71 war, were the same as Chinese aircraft and almost identical to the Mig-19. Only later on when they went through scheduled maintenance did they get the new electronics, seats, parachute housing under the tail and sidewinder capability. Later machines were delivered to Pakistan with these as standard equipment. All F-7's delivered to Pakistan had the MB seats and westernized electronics and weapons capability, as ordered by Pakistan.

Harold, I would be interested in a seat. Perhaps you would also consider doing a replacement tail filet that would be the correct length and height for the later Mig-19's, as the one in the Trump kit is too small?

Harold, given that it appears I need a MB Mk-10PKD as well, you can put me down for one also.

Iain

Looks like I will be in the same boat!! Hopefully I can use the Pavla seat in another aircraft as it does look nice!!!