Me-163 Komet

Astro32

Hi Matty,

Could you throw some of that good Komet stuff my way please?

Thanks mate

Derek

I have a FSM article I could scan on a dude that opened the cannon bay and scratched the skid bracing...shoot me an email if you'd like a copy...or anyone else that is.

Great looking build!! I remember reading some things about the 1/1 Komet- That it's fuel tanks leaked, and dissolved the pilot in flight, and the LG lever having to be in "neutral" so the skid would absorb the landing shock, and not transmit the shock to the pilot's back, etc. Any truth to these stories??

Lee

Okay, a little more work done today!

I put in the fuel tank straps, from the Eduard photoetch set, did a little more wear and tear with a Prismacolor silver pencil, and then shot some Model Master flat clear to seal it all up and get the level of sheen to my liking.

post-1317-1173673160.jpg

I also did a little more painting and some highlighting to the 'pit walls:

post-1317-1173673468.jpg

However, I found the oxygen system regulator almost 1/4" too far back along the 'pit wall; it should be directly above and slightly forward of the rearmost fuel tank strap. Had I noticed this earlier, I would've removed it and substituted one from the spares box. Once the 'pit is in place in the fuselage, though, it's not going to be too noticeable so I'm not sweating it! :huh: And the fit of the side walls of the Grand Phoenix set isn't that great, so be warned, anybody using that set!

• 2 months later...

Finally had some time to devote to my Komet today!

For the rear fuselage, in my research I found that Hasegawa didn't quite get the lower panel shape/outline quite right, and they simply made a raised line to represent it, a noticeable departure from how they did the lower panels on the main fuselage, which was quite accurate and nicely done. To provide a good match, I sanded off the detail on the rear fuse, and replicated the paneling with aluminum duct tape, one of my favorite tools for such work. For those who've not tried this, get exterior grade, code rated tape. the metal is much higher quality, as is the adhesive. Code rated tape has lettering on it to distinguish from non-rated tape. I have a roll of Polyken brand tape.

post-1317-1179085052.jpg

I applied the tape along the panel break-line, then burnished it down with a piece of old t-shirt.

Nex shot shows the result after trimming. To cut a straight edge, I laid down some Dymo lettering tape to the scrap side of the metal, to ensure a precise cut.

post-1317-1179085458.jpg

After I trimmed the lower side paneling, I carefully burnished down the bottom cap:

The rear fuselage is now ready for priming!

post-1317-1179085897.jpg

Here's a better shot of the cockpit under outdoor lighting conditions. I've added the T - and C - Stoff feed lines using fine solder, and I've added the instrument panel's backing plate:

post-1317-1179085688.jpg

One problem I've run into is, while the Grand Phoenix tub fits better than the original parts, the fit of the side panels is right 'orrible! Any members who've used this set in their Komet build I'd appreciate some advice! :unsure:

I've applied the first prime coat, which has shown up lot of things to clean up!

Here's a close-up of the panel line I did by butting up the two pieces of alu. duct tape:

post-1317-1179091792.jpg

I think this has worked out better than trying to scribe the panel line into the tape later on. I've found that doesn't work as well as scribing plastic.

• 6 months later...

I posted an update to my thread in general that I'm doing a lot better, and I'm nearly ready to resume work on my Komet!

I'd like to know if anybody out there has a good pic of the well that the main skid retracts into. It won't be too visible once the skid is in place, but if there's a large hydraulic ram for retracting the skid, or suspension springs to cushion the ride upon landing, I figure they'd be visible. I looked around different sites on the Internet, but had no luck. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

I added the skid bay details from the Eduard set, and painted them Alclad II Duralumin, since many late war German aircraft were bare metal in places like these:

post-1317-1206918547.jpg

The roof of the skid bay I might do out of strip stock, otherwise I'll simply countershade some grays up above since not much will be visible once the landing skid is in place.