The Mig- 31 Inerceptor code named "FIREFOX"

Wbnemo1

Hi gang...I've not forgotten this project. Just had a major event in my life. My father passed away from a heart attack on the 2nd. I've been pretty depressed about it and it has taken a bit of a toll on my projects. I am however getting back into building as my dad always loved to see my latest creation. Hope to show many updates soon.

Sincerely,

Will

Ps actually I do have a few pics I can show.Mind the pics of me holding the master...to look this good after working at the shop for 36 hours straight lol............ Ordering RTV for initial mold Monday

primer1.jpg

primer2.jpg

primer3.jpg

primer4.jpg

primer5.jpg

primer6.jpg

primer9.jpg

primer10.jpg

primer11.jpg

Hi Will,

Very sorry to here about your recent loss, i'm sure your Dad would be very proud of what you are creating here with your Firefox.

I was messing about with my Mig in FS2004 and could'nt resist a quick screenshot of it.

All the best to you and keep up the good work,

Sav.

post-1693-1176574149.jpg

Sorry for your loss my friend- Keep your head up- Beautiful work on the Firefox- One of the meanest looking planes I have ever seen.....

Hey Sav- Could you make that screen shot a little bigger, and perhaps a bit lighter? I would love to have a copy of that for a desktop background! B)

Take care-

THOR ;)

Geez William, really sorry to hear about your Dad mate. I've just gone through the same thing. Meh...sucks pretty hard eh?

All the best and condolences to all.

Cheers Matt

PS Mig is looking super and very interesting

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks gang, It's gonna be tough. Digging into projects to makes things easier. I did finally get the master pattern all finalized for molds. this involved the primering,sanding, and removal of all the masks for the actual mold process...still waiting on rtv/sheet wax shippment to arrive...

warning!!!! pics intense

Best,

Will

Prmr1.jpg

Prmr2.jpg

Prmr3.jpg

Prmr4.jpg

Prmr5.jpg

Prmr7.jpg

Prmr9.jpg

Prmr10.jpg

Prmr11.jpg

Prmr12.jpg

Oops! sorry didnt see these post ...thanks gang! I'm very happy with the results so far.

sheet wax- this is to be used to build up a consistant inner wall thickness on the rtv for both the top and bottom halves. this will allow me to make castings simular to a injection molded kit only slightly thicker in wall thickness. I learned this process though a great modeler, Chris of Zactomodels

Will

• 2 weeks later...

ok small update...

My friend who is a mold making master helped me make boxes this evening, these things had to be exact as the mold boxes will be key to ensuring a proper fit to tools being made within them. they also have to be interchangeable. here's the latest photos of this progress taken this evening. Now it's ti9me to clay up the master pattern for the RTV pour. Enjoy the photos.

Best,

Will

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update.

I started laying up the fuselage this evening, while at the shop doing other things. I was able to get most of the left side clayed up and will build out to the box that will enclose the containment center. moving along again...

Best,

Will

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Howdy,

Big update here . I've been trying to finish off other pieces but had some time to work on the PP1 project. First, I finished claying up and adding registration keys as well as the perimeter key system. This permimeter key system took a wile to manufacture, but the result is worth it, then mold boxed the whole piece. After this was finished using mold release, I sprayed the entire project thoroughly. Finally after I was satisfied with coverage, poured the RTV. It's a lot of RTV silicone rubber as you will see, but necessary for this two stage molding process to work. After waiting 24 hours to demold, I carefully unboxed the tool and turned her upside down to remove the clay, being extra careful to ensure that the master pattern stayed locked in the upper RTV rubber mold. Removing the clay proved to be a breeze, as the mold release did it's job extremely well. After removing all clay( it actually came aprt in a couple large sections), I removed the perimeter key system, and boxed the tool back up for final RTV pour. Again waited 24 hours which ended this past evening so i undid the mold box once more revealing a large block of RTV silicone. Carefully I pried the halves apart and what you see in the last photos is the final result. My opinion is it came out perfect, no clean up and a major bonus in this field, the Master survived. Now comes the fun part, laying sheet wax in each half and remolding forming the resin cavity necessary to make hollow castings for the new resin hollow masters from which all final details will be added, bays recesses acess panels cockpit details, engine area details and what ever else is needed. Once this is done, I'll make the final tools . In the mean time, enjoy the photo documentation.

Sincerely,

Will

claybox1.jpg

RTVpourBox1.jpg

RTVpourBox2.jpg

RTVpourBox3.jpg

RTVpourBox4.jpg

RTVpourBox7.jpg

finalST1MD2.jpg

finalST1MD3.jpg

finalST1MD4.jpg

finalST1MD5.jpg

Hi Will,

I read through the discription in your latest post and thought, what the hell is this bloke on about? :lol:

Then, scrolling down through your excellent photo's everthing becomes clear. This is going to be a real beauty when it's finished, keep the pic's coming as it's the only way i can follow whats going on here :(

All the best,

Sav.