BV 155 V1

mattlow

Wow,that is cool! But I am sure it wouldn't win any beauty contests. :D I have never seen a pic of this aircraft before.The Axis sure came out with some strange designs.Nice to see some scratchbuilding.Cheers! John. :)

I have never seen a pic of this aircraft before.

Photos and/or drawings of the Me 155/BV 155 can be found in the following books:

Butler: 'War Prizes' (Midland Counties Publications [uK], 1994; 320 pages)

Cohausz: 'Deutsche Flugzeugcockpits und Instrumentenbretter Zweiter Weltkrieg: Arado - Fieseler' (Cockpit Profile series, No. 4; Flugzeug Publikations [Germany], 1999; in German and English; 51 pages)

Cohausz: 'Cockpits deutscher Flugzeug: Historische Instrumentierungen von 1911-1970' (Aviatic Verlag [Germany], 2000; in German; 302 pages)

Ebert, Kaiser and Peters: 'Willy Messerschmitt — Pioneer of Aviation Design' (The History of German Aviation series, No. 3; Schiffer [uSA], 1993; 435 pages) [English translation of "Willy Messerschmitt — Pionier des Luftfahrt und des Leichbaues" (Bernard & Graefe Verlag [Germany, date unknown]]

Green: 'The Warplanes of the Third Reich' (MacDonald and Jane's [uK], 1979; 672 pages)

Griehl: 'Jet Planes of the Third Reich, The Secret Projects — Volume One' (Monogram Aviation Publications [uSA], 1998; 200 pages)

Hitchcock: 'Blohm & Voss 155' (Monogram Close-Up series, No. 20; Monogram Aviation Publications [uSA], 1990; 32 pages)

Lange: 'Das Buch der Deutschen Luftfahrttechnik: Bildteil' (Verlag Dieter Hoffmann [Germany], 1970; in German; 651 pages)

Merrick: 'German Aircraft Interiors 1935-1945: Vol. 1' (German Aircraft Interiors series, No. 1; Monogram Aviation Publications [uSA], 1996; 256 pages)

Myhra: 'Secret Aircraft Designs of the Third Reich' (Schiffer [uSA], 1998; 352 pages)

Nohara: 'Luftwaffen Warplane [sic] 1928-45' (Illustrated Warplane History series, No. 7; Green Arrow [Japan], 2001; in Japanese; 316 pages)

Nowarra: 'Messerschmitt Bf 109: Aircraft & Legend' (Haynes / Motorbuch Verlag [uK / Germany], 1989; 311 pages) [English translation of "Die 109" (Motorbuch Verlag, 1986]

Nowarra: 'Die Deutsche Luftrüstung 1933-1945, Band 1: Flugzeugtypen AEG - Dornier' (Die Deutsche Luftrüstung series, No. 1; Bernard & Graefe Verlag [Germany], 1993; in German; 256 pages)

Sengfelder: 'German Aircraft Landing Gear' (Schiffer / Motorbuch Verlag [uSA / Germany], 1993; 243 pages) [English translation of "Flugzeugfahrwerke" (Motorbuch Verlag, 1979]

Smith: 'Messerschmitt: An Aircraft Album' (Arco Aircraft Album series, No. 2; Arco [uSA], 1971; 144 pages)

Smith, Kay and Creek: 'German Aircraft of the Second World War' (Putnam Aeronautical series [unnumbered]; Putnam [uK], 1972; 745 pages)

Wood and Gunston: 'Hitler's Luftwaffe' (Salamander [uK], 1977; 248 pages)

Charles Metz

Hi Matt,

An ambitious and difficult build you have there but it look slike you have it well under control judging from the results youre getting. Keep up the good work, I look forward to more of your techniques. Great way to learn. Keep her going bud...

Geoff

The Axis sure came out with some strange designs

You have to admit the germans came up with some pretty interesting and sometimes very practial comcepts expecially when Turk Tank was concern e.g Ta 183 ( some think the Mig 15 is based on some of the work done on this project) and another one which looks alot like the DH-100 vampire. Even the Bell X-5 was based on the messerschmitt P1101 fighter. If things where a bit better for them in terms of having some of these project come to term the allies would have been in serious trouble in the air. Fortunately its was not the case as the condition of not only her industries but Germany itself kept them from being developed

hacker :D B)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally for tonight, view into cockpit area. The upper decking will come off (after shaping) to allow me to put in a cockpit. Thanks to Charles Metz I now have sufficient detail to have a stab at it.

I haven't started on the wings yet - they're going to be a major challenge for me as they'll have to support quite a bit of weight - I do have a couple of ideas how to do them - more later.

I can't claim to be as tidy as Radu (the whole crate's a bit scruffy at the moment) but I have to say its a great feeling taking lumps of plastic (mostly pvc) and actually creating a recognisable object out of them, especially as my major material is totally gratis :blink: :D

post-528-1153173740.jpg

Matt

Looking very, very good! Excellent idea with the signboard; will keep that in mind for my next project; it appears to sand down very well!

Question, what did you use to glue the foamboard together to form the layers, and what did you use to glue it to the plastic frame (I believe epoxy was suggested)?. You may have mentioned this earlier...

If you dont cover it with sheet plastic, I am thinking you may need to paint exclusively with acrylics. Oil based paints will likely dissolve the foam.

Dave/Ironman1945

Thank you all for words of encouragement.

I've been gluing the pvc together with superglue - seems to work a treat. Havent tested it in terms of paint, though the grey primer I sprayed it in was a standard auto primer and it had no adverse effect on the pvc??

She will be a big bird, about 2 feet wide! Not as big as what I'm considering as my next project???

Matt

Matt,

Very nice work. Youre handling the complexity of the shapes very nicely. Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing much more.

Question: What material are you using for the flight surfaces?

Geoff

Hi Geoff

At the moment pretty much all you see is foamboard. The stuff comes in 10, 5 and 3mm thicknesses which covers most of my needs. I have used plasticard for the area between the 'solid' tail and rudder to create the space that the rudder recesses into (if that makes sense).

The wings will be made of.....yes foamboard! However, this stuff doesn't have the strength to hold the weight of the plane. My idea is to route a channel out of the solid wing and sink brass rod into this acting as a spar. Of course, I haven't actually got a router so it'll either be a bit more equipment to buy or some heath robinson set up.

Matt