1/32 Hasegawa P-51D

Ironwing

Thanks Brian,

There are many here who do the same or better work but your compliment is still quite nice...now if I can just get better at this pictue taking thing...

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I think that I might need those scans afterall...If it is not too much trouble for you?

Thanks

Derek

Derek,

On page 51 of North American F-51 Mustangs In latin American Airforce Service, Dienst & Hagedorn, Aerofax Datagraph 1, aerofax Inc. 1985 are two very clear pics of the bar you are asking about. I have no way to scan them readily at hand. If you can't find the publication, write and I'll try to get the page scanned for you and post the pic.

Geoff

There are several issues to be delt with in the nose other than shape. Without the engine installed, the nose becomes a "see thru" affair. These holes need to be closed. The side inlets are easily covered and the openings for the exhaust shrouds are another easy fix. The ram air tunnel for the carb air chin inlet is the biggest problem. This too needs to be at least simulated and it cant just be blocked off. A small tunnel was added in order to make it look close to real shouls someone decide to look down there. I didnt fool with this very much. I just went with whatever the plastic and position would allow me to do. What it looks like internally isn't important.

Geoff

post-1406-1151539712_thumb.jpg

post-1406-1151539748_thumb.jpg

post-1406-1151539802_thumb.jpg

The radio set support structure and radio set needed to be fabricated. Dont get faked out. The radio set support resides almost on top of the fuselage fuel tank. So much so, it looks like it's attached to the top of the tank. This would be incorrect and should be done as a separate piece. These shots show the support and set installed temporarily with the tank in place. On the next page is a shot of the support with the tank not installed. Also visible is the fuel filler line which comes from the upper port side of the fuselage just under the canopy. In the lower right corner (of the pic) is the beginning of the fuselage tank fuel guage.

Geoff

post-1406-1151540243_thumb.jpg

post-1406-1151540284_thumb.jpg

Radio Support Structure: Made up of Evergreen stock. Be careful with the dimensions,location of the support and how the radio set sits in it to prevent interference with other structures. The tank has been removed for clarity.

Geoff

post-1406-1151541277_thumb.jpg

Gear Doors: The kit supplied parts are way to thick. To reduce this, the outside of doors were first vac-formed. The doors themselves have an unusual curve in them that matches the curve of the lower wing. Rather than trying to sand the door down and replicate the curve, I chose to replicate the entire outer door skin with the vac form, then cut awaythe edges of the door where the outer skin stood alone leaving only the inner area of the door detail. the vac-formed new skin was then laminated into place. It looks far more scale like.

post-1406-1151541424_thumb.jpg

post-1406-1151541461_thumb.jpg

The next and hopefully the last large task are the wheel wells. To start, the upper surface was ground away with the exception of the main gear insertion points) and sanded to final shape. A new top i sfabricated from card stock and installed temporarily for fit and to locate other structures, piping, wiring etc. Main gear shafts were fitted and will be removed before work begins in the wells.

Geoff

post-1406-1151541921_thumb.jpg

Ango,

I have to paint it? Oh yea, I've been building for so long I forgot about that part. To be truthful, I'm looking forward to using the airbrush a bit. Im hoping to be able to paint and button up the fuselage very soon. I try to build as much as possible before beginning to paint so I can spray everything. I stink with paint brush.

As always, thank you for your kind comments. Hows that Spit of yours coming. We need to more pics of that ole girl.

Hack,

Thanks dude...just plugging along here.

Geoff