OK, my Tempest....

Alburymodeler

The new PCM Tempest seems to be the flavour of the week, so here is my effort. As has been indicated, it is not a shake and bake kit. Many of the detail bits do not really fit as they should. As my canopies are generally closed, and the cockpit opening is fairly small anyway, I have not been overly concerned with the cockpit parts. I found the etched side pieces did not fit, so just used the plastic side parts. The throttle like piece which they indicate should go on the left is, I assume, meant for the right side beside the seat. The fuselage sides need to be thinned so the framing will sit inside, mainly around the instrument panel and on the lower sides. I also removed 3 mm off the lower Z piece behind the seat to allow the sides to be pulled in a bit, and filed all the outer edges of the framing.

OK, my photos....... Damnation, off to the instructions again, and photobucket.....and work calls so maybe tonight.

The intake was also a tight and difficult fit. Next time i would assemble all the plastic bits, sans brass. Put a 9 mm block between the front and back faces for strength, then fit it to the fuselage and make sure the two sides close. I had to remove plastic inside both sides to allow a good fit. Remove the two raised lines from the front face as this makes fitting the brass a tad difficult. Once it fits nicely install the etched metal, if installed earlier it will get damaged.

Grrrrrr...... I wish computers would all work the same. So the above pic indicates where plastic needs to be removed to fit the innards. No great amount of detailing is going on, but the top section will be painted black later on. it would be nice if things fitted a bit better, but I suppose we don't want it to be too easy.

IMG_2748_zpscc7cf83f.jpg

Removing plastic to get a better fit on the radiator. Alternatively the radiator backing plate and wire could be reduced, but this seems easier after the event.

IMG_2751_zps24208bd2.jpg

This is how I would assemble this next time, using a 9 mm block between the front and rear faces of the radiator to give some strength. I would install the etched metal after all was finished to keep it in good condition.

Hopefully I will get the fuselage buttoned up tonight, after I have sorted out the seat belts.

IMG_2753_zps7a7e27d1.jpg

Pretty ordinary photo from the iphone, but shows a rather plain cockpit interior. I did not bother with any of the small brass bits and pieces as they will no be visible anyway.

IMG_2754_zps6587fe02.jpg

The fuselage halves almost ready to be glued. Still a bit of material needs removing. I eventually drilled out the holes which contain the main horizontal support for the back armour plate.

Fuselage is now together and cleaned up, and the inside of the intake puttied, sanded, and looking OK. I think the next job is to get the lower wing to fit. It is very tight, so tight in fact that it sets up a fair bit of dihedral when installed. So a fair bit of filing all around, and shortening the rear section as well, has it fitting pretty well. It also seems that many of the undercarriage bays are a bit warped, so it may need some fine tuning. I think I will make a jig for the centre section lower surface (virtually flat) and then file the resin so it fits perfectly so as to maintain the correct external shape. Maybe a plywood spar as well to keep things heading in the right direction.

HiGreg,

K1 directed me here (Thanks Kev). I find three WIP PCK Hawker Tempest builds going on at the same time very instructive, as it will guide the forum members (Myself included) on the pitfalls and plus points of building this kit (Thank you). I shall follow this build (And the other two) with much interest.

:goodjob:

Derek

OK, I have the gap at the back down to 3.5mm, and have just about broken through the upper face of the undercarriage bay and taken the fuselage sides down to zip. Damnation, I wish I had not glued the bay in so well now as it is obviously going to be removed so that some of the edges which join to the bottom wing can be removed. I think it will need maybe 3mm taking off, but do test fit before gluing. :hmmm: :mental: :(