By Request.. Revell P-39D Review

Guest Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Hi all, this arrived in the mail today from Modelzone.

Here's Kev's box top picture..

Boxtop.jpg

Ok, so here we go with the mini review, mini review because this is not a new kit. Quite disapointing really, as I was hoping for an accurate new moulding. Having said that, this isn't a bad kit in my opinion, and does have a lovely set of Decals. I just wish Revell hadn't reboxed a kit with known issues....

Here's the bag of sprues next to the end opening box, yes, you get a lot of air in there!!!

BoxtopSprue1.jpg

BoxtopSprue.jpg

Now on to the Sprues, I won't make too much fuss as we've all seen the Special Hobby kit before, and that's just what this is. I think SH must have moulded it, as it says "Made in Czech republic" on the box and the bags are of the lovely resealable type which all Czech companies appear to use?

Sprue A

SprueA.jpg

Sprue B

SprueB.jpg

Sprue C

SprueC.jpg

Sprue D

SprueD.jpg

Sprue E

SprueE.jpg

Sprue's G+L, the resin replacement.

SprueLandK.jpg

Sprue K Crystal clear!!

Clear.jpg

Edited by Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Now we move on to the wonderful decals sheet.

Decals.jpg

Just look at those pretty girls and all those wonderful stencils. I wonder if the accurately positioned "Q" over the young ladies waist is accurate or put there by Revell for sales reasons?

This is version A, PTO which keeps me happy!!

VersionA.jpg

Version B, which is also PTO.

VersionB.jpg

All in all, this kit was £29.99 and is probably worth the money, but does need some correcting. If it wasn't for the wonderful schemes in the box and the extent of the beautiful decal sheet, I'd be wishing I'd bought the SH boxing and had the PE cockpit and resin bits.

OK, let's get the saw out and cut that stumpy tail off!!

Guest Peterpools

Nige

Thanks for the review. I have to admit, the decals are a bit risqué for a major manufacturer. Guess the times are a changing. Much appreciated

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Nigelr32

Decals say printed in Italy; are those Tauro decals?

Sorry Kev, I can't tell. there's nothing else written on them, other than what you see in the picture.

OK, time for debate... What is actually wrong with the fuselage on this kit? Everyone talks about it being too short, so I've scaled up some images off the internet, and compare.

All I can find dimensionally is that the fuselage should be 287mm long at 1/32 scale. I assume the overall length includes the cannon in the prop? I make it about 3mm too short at the rear, but also too fat, and the intake is too short?? Can anyone please confirm.??

I have read that the fuselage is approximately 6mm too short?

Tell you what, the plastic is lovely in this kit. Very much like Zvezda, my favourite of all plastics.

I have no knowledge on this plane, but what i do know is that I would model it with the doors open.

In that case you need all the detail you can find in the interior. Pretty sure Eduard will accommodate us here.

Curious to see how the fuselage can be corrected.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Guest Nigelr32

I have no knowledge on this plane, but what i do know is that I would model it with the doors open.

In that case you need all the detail you can find in the interior. Pretty sure Eduard will accommodate us here.

Curious to see how the fuselage can be corrected.

Cheers,

Jeroen

You read my mind Jeroen, i have just been looking at what you get in the BigEd set... I was gonna build this OOB, but as you say, those doors are crying to be opened, and the Eduard 'pit set is wonderful.

Now I need to see if I can find references of parked up P-39's with their flaps down.

I have seen a couple of threads around where the builder has lengthened the fuselage by 6mm, but no-one has sorted the fat appearance AFAIK??

Edited by Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

I have no doubt the fuselage is an easy fix, if it actually needs fixing at all.

I just looked at Special Hobby P-39 in Google images. There are some beautiful builds there. I'm not sure I would have noticed anything wrong with the tail end if no-one had said anything?? Trouble is, I'm looking for errors now!!