Saburo Sakai's A6m2, Tamiya 1/32 Zero

cbk57

Historical Update:

The Plane I intend to build Tail number V-103 was built in 1942.  See Pacific Wrecks website for full background:  http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/a6m2/3647.html

The Tamiya kit is full of parts that are not only unused for the versions in the kit but cover numerous production changes during the life of the aircraft.  Tonight I am going to write briefly about the ailerons.  The kit supplies two types of aileron and three variations.  According to Aero Detail the protruding mass balance  was eliminated after the 32nd aircraft.  Also only a few planes had the aileron balance tab on planes built after the 127th plane.  

Step 34 in Tamiya's instructions shows that only two build options use the protruding mass balance.

There are also an additional set of ailerons in the kit, however they have the balance tabs.  So my conclusion is that for my plane the correct parts are aileron parts P9 and P4 and P2 and P11.  However leaving out the protruding mass balance known as parts P1.  

Next time  I will talk about what I have the guns and air intake. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing lots of work on this the last couple weeks.  I put the cockpit together and am working on the wings now.  I have also been doing lots of work on the engine.  Installing the wire loom took lots of time and patience.  Here are photos of some of it.  First of all the wheel wells.  I cross drilled them and added rivets along the braces.  Looks a little more like the real thing without taking away the kits wonderful engineering and working features which I happen to like.DSCN0404_zpsd42809ba.jpg

56739f80-c9c6-433d-9e56-5064120a3e0f_zps

DSCN0405_zpsd53ad11b.jpgDSCN0403_zps5eb6c87f.jpgDSCN0401_zps7a1bc8cd.jpgDSCN0392_zpse767ce93.jpg

The A6M Zero used two or three different types of 20 mm gun and two different feed systems.  Late versions used a belt feed, I don't know if that was a different gun though.

As far as the A6M2 goes though there are two choices and two drum options in the Tamiya Kit.  The 20 MM gun was called the Type 99 and the A6M2 used the Type 99 Mk 1.  The A6m5 used the Mk 2.  The main visual difference as far as modeling goes is the Mk I uses a short barrel.  On a Misubishi built A6M2 you should never see gun barrels sticking out of the wings.  The Kit includes extensive parts for Nakajima built planes though and they were manufactured until the end of the war.  I think it is possible the Nakajima built planes used the Mk 2.  

There are two types of feed drum for the 60 round drum and the 100 round drum.  For all Mitsubishi built A6m2's you should be using kit parts L19 and L18 for under the wings and using guns L1, L2 and ammo drums q19 and q20.  The Panels identified as L 16 and L17 are for the 100 round drum.  This did not appear until the A6M3 on Mitsubishi built planes.  

You should use gun barrel parts from Sprue L.  Either L12 or L13.  One version has a squarish barrel tip.  I am not certain what planes used which short barrel type.  I am thinking maybe the square barrel tip appeared on early planes as I find in Aero Detail the early planes had a square shape around the barrel opening.  I think this is represent by Parts P 8 and P7 in the kit instructions.  I will be using the round barrels and corresponding parts.

Early A6M2's had an elliptical air intake.  This lasted until the 34 aircraft made.  Tamiya includes this piece on Sprue P and it is P 12.  My build will be using part P13.  

Now for Atoke.  I did a lot of painting this weekend.  My method was Tamiya primer, alcad aluminum then Mr. Color blue/green Metalic.  I hope you like it.  Also the work I did on the wheel wells is more visible.

DSCN0409_zps1b594be4.jpgDSCN0410_zps71689dc2.jpg

Love what you are doing here, and really appreciate the Historical info you are posting. That is great research.

I don't mean to rain on your parade here, but the plane you are building was a Mitsubishi built plane.

That being the case, the wheel wells would be the same colour as the rest of the exterior surfaces and the interior of the cowling would be Mitsubishi Blue-Black.

But I do like the Aotake finish - the colour looks right in the pics you post.

Look forward to more posts! :)

PR

I like this topic. Your start is fantastic.

But I am not sure about Aotake colour. If the Zero build by Mitsubishi, I will use blue-black colour FS 25042 to cowlling (inside, outside) and for wheel wells the camouflage colour ("Ame-iro").

Greetings from the Czech Republic

Mirek B)

Hi guys thanks for the comments.  I am not conviced that the record is at all clear that the wheel wells were universally exterior color.  The comments above are the first indication I have had that the interior of the cowling was blue-black.  Please let me know if you have something that makes the issue clear.  I am not committed either way as to the cowling.  I am probably going to leave the landing gear as atoke but that is my choice and belief that it could go either way.  

You may want to check out J-aircraft, as they have good info there. Also a search of model forums will show a lot of discussion around these areas and their finish. David Aiken is a well known expert in this area - I can recommend you look up some of his posts if you can.

It seems that Nakajima built aircraft had aotake wheel wells while Mitsubishi built had wells in the aircraft colour. Undercarriage legs in semi-gloss black with scissor link silver.

Mitsubishi built Zeros had Blue-Black cowlings inside and out, and the cockpit decking beneath the canopy was also this colour. Insides of canopy frames were also Black.

But, as you say, your model to build as you wish. I am enjoying your build and look forward to more posts.

PR

Edited by Pete Roberts

Thanks for the info.  I have spent a lot of time studying J-Aircraft and other sources.  In the end I may have become lost in the details.  I will spray the wheel wells I think to the extent I can without messing up some other finishes in there.  The Cowling is no big deal either way as it is easy to spray the inside.  I had already assembled the wheel wells and have them in the plane now.  I just have not updated my photos yet.  I really want to do this as a pretty accurate build.  

Time for Tonights update.  I have just a few images to share today.  I have assembled the wing but nothing really interesting as it is unpainted.  On the other hand I really like how the gunsight came out.  I did some really light chipping on the Cowling as there was the occasional paint chip that shows up in photos.  I have not repainted the cowling yet as I painted it yesterday.  I riveted and painted the deck behind the pilot, painted the inside of the canopy framing, painted the exterior color on the framing as a couple spots will be covered when I attach and do the primary paint work.  I also preprinted the areas that will be covered by the cowling.  I hope you like it.  Internet is slow just one picture for now.  I will add more latter this evening.

3472a8a9-d6a6-4e1c-b06c-8c8070c05b0d_zps