1/35 UH-1C Gunship- DONE!!!

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. It`s really appreciated, especially about the crew figures. 

I attached the minigun assemblies to their mounts using 4 min epoxy as there isn`t much contact area between the guns and the mounts. 

IMG_20150101_230904.jpg

I then shortened the ammo belts and used CA to attach those to the guns. This was a real PITA as the belts need to be bent and held in place while the CA sets. I notched the ammo belts slightly to help them fit into the miniguns. If you have the Eduard armaments set, it includes some belt guides which are really needed especially if you are using the kit belts. 

IMG_20150101_230843.jpg

I then masked off the ends of the main and tail rotors as well as the elevators and gave them a coat of flat white. The rotor ends will then be painted in yellow and the upper surfaces of the elevators in orange. 

IMG_20150110_232015.jpg

The instructions call for florescent orange but the closet I had on hand (actually the only bottle of orange paint I have) was Gunze Cosmo Zero orange. Close enough I think:

IMG_20150110_232458.jpg

So I`m really getting closer to the finish line with this build. I probably would have been done by now but the boys have been a real handful lately and I just haven`t had a spare moment to get some building done. At least I got bench time tonight :frantic:

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Just went back to day 1, step one and read through the build ...  super progress on a kit that seems to have a mind of it's own.  Some mighty fine problem solving along the way and I can surely feel your pain both from the nasty cut and the frustration, having just finished the Seversky.

No doubt you have the Huey well under control and looking so good.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence! The kit and finding time to build has been a struggle at times but it really feels like the build has turned the corner. 

Here`s the last bit of AM I plan to use for the build:

IMG_20150111_234326.jpg

And the contents

IMG_20150111_234404.jpg

IMG_20150111_234524.jpg

Assembly was straight forward with no cleanup, test fitting or tweaking required :P

IMG_20150111_234645.jpg

At this point, I couldn`t resist a dry run with the Huey itself. I added the door gunner to see how he would look but he`s not permanently mounted yet.

IMG_20150111_235232.jpg

IMG_20150111_235244.jpg

Carl

It`s been in the stash for a while but I thought that with the crew figures, the Huey would not look right just sitting on its skids. In case

More progress, even if it's just a bit!

I managed to get all the decals applied over the last couple of nights. This is the first time I've worked with Cartograf decals so I was glad to see they live up to their reputation. I was a bit hesitant at fist when I noticed how stiff they seemed but after a coat of Mr Mark Softer, they pretty much snuggled right down and moulded themselves around the various panel lines and raised rivets. Xtracrylix dries with a semi-gloss finish so I did not clear coat the fuselage. I only applied some Vallejo gloss clear on the anti-glare panel as seen below:

IMG_20150115_214929.jpg

The rest were applied straight onto the paint.

IMG_20150115_214854.jpg

IMG_20150115_214904.jpg

IMG_20150115_214955.jpg

IMG_20150115_215014.jpg

The stripes on the end of the tail boom were a bit of a challenge. They didn't quite meet so I cut up some spare decals on the sheet and filled in the gaps. I figured this was better than trying to match the colours with paint.

IMG_20150115_214948.jpg

I painted the rotor tips with RAF Rescue Yellow and once they're dry, I should be able to attach them and that will pretty much finish the build

IMG_20150115_215030.jpg

IMG_20150115_215051.jpg

I never thought I would actually get this far with this build seeing that I had shelved it once before and nearly did again during this GB. I really believe all the encouragement from everyone here helped push through with it.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Thanks folks! This build is CURSED!!!

First, the good news. I finished up the decals and used Tamiya flat clear and semi-gloss clear to seal and blend them in once they were dry. I then went to attach the main rotor when....

IMG_20150117_230958.jpg

...snap,I broke the main rotor shaft  :BANGHEAD2:  :BANGHEAD2:

After a brief "Are you kidding me?" and "That figures!" moment or two, I decided to do the inevitable, and raid the other UH-1 kit for its main rotor shaft assembly. The silver lining is I raided the "donor" kit for the other bits that I had lost or broken. So if any one needs spares for their UH-1 kit, let me know. 

I managed to extricate the broken shaft from the housing without causing any additional damage

IMG_20150117_231155.jpg

I then ploughed through assembling the new main shaft and added the door gunner using Gator Grip.

Here is the finished build:

IMG_20150118_011627.jpg

IMG_20150118_011635.jpg