Czech Models T-33 Silver Star

BloorwestSiR

Ok,

Bizzaro world. I copied your text and pics, and the originals still have the DML P-51 pics, but my "quote" of your pics shows the CT-33 progress!!!

I had to take a screenie or two so I could confirm I wasnt going crazy.................

DML_CT-33%20Thread_1.png

DML_CT-33%20Thread_2.png

No, you weren't going crazy, my computer kept pasting the wrong link in. So I fixed it probably between your posts  :thumbsup:

Carl

No, you weren't going crazy, my computer kept pasting the wrong link in. So I fixed it probably between your posts  :thumbsup:

Carl

Ah ha! cool, I thought I was goin crazy for a sec. :lol:

That scheme does look great, and is SUPER attractive with the polished metal and his viz orange. Cant wait for more :)

• 1 year later...

Well, thanks to the other T-33 builds going at the moment mine is back on the bench.

Although Jennings' photos aren't coming up, he mentioned that there are a couple of plates that needed to be removed from the fuselage.

IMG_20160523_215919.jpg

I carefully scraped them off and then did a light sanding to finish it.

IMG_20160523_220230.jpg

IMG_20160523_220456.jpg

This way I didn't lose any of the adjacent detail.

Since I last updated the thread, I had decided to assemble the fuselage halves and then fit the cockpit from below. One of the reasons for this was the right fit of the nose gear bay and the cockpit tub. So I attached the nose gear bay to one side and then looked to see where I needed to improve the fit.

One area was on the inside of the fuselage half next to where the gear bay goes. There's a bulge due to the intake lip so I scraped that down. You can just make it out towards the back of the opening for the bay.

IMG_20160523_224955.jpg

I then sanded the side of the assembled gear bay to thin it down a bit.

IMG_20160523_225013.jpg

This pretty much eliminated the gap at the front of the nose gear bay.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Hey Carl!! Just started fitting the intakes to my build, doing basically the same as you. You do have to scrape the heck out of it to get anything to fit. Have yoy figured out what markings you're going to use?

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Glad your T-Bird is back on the bench and under way again. I did go back and read through your earlier progress threads so I can be current on your progress. Taking notes as I have a T-33 to build in the future.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Don, I've got the same Belcher's Bits decal sheet as you do. I'm going to do the second one I think. NMF with the Dayglow orange noise and tail.

And you're absolutely right about having to do a lot of scraping and test fitting.

Carl

That'll be a colorful build, Carl. The BB sheet is nice, covers most all different schemes the T-bird wore.

Don

Looking good Carl.  I'm glad I helped you get this beast back on your bench!

-Derek

Thank you Derek! I really wanted to move forward on the kit but there were so many other interesting kits in the stash it was hard. 

Carl

Glad your T-Bird is back on the bench and under way again. I did go back and read through your earlier progress threads so I can be current on your progress. Taking notes as I have a T-33 to build in the future.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter, hopefully we'll see your build on here soon.

That'll be a colorful build, Carl. The BB sheet is nice, covers most all different schemes the T-bird wore.

Don

It certainly will be Don. I have yet to do a NMF and adding the dayglow panels will just make it more visually attractive. Hopefully I can pull it off. 

Some progress over last couple of days. I added some styrene tabs to the right fuselage half to hopefully strengthen the joint. 

IMG_20160525_162206.jpg

I then glued the two halves together aligning them as best as I could. 

IMG_20160525_163323.jpg

After the glue set, I removed the tape and started checking and filling any seams. 

IMG_20160525_170617.jpg

But wait, where's the cockpit and engine nozzle? I did a bunch of dry runs beforehand and figured it might be easier to have the fuselage closed up and then insert the cockpit from below along with the burner can. Hopefully nothing has changed since the dry runs and I can still get them in place.

I've been fighting a nasty cold the last few days so I haven't spent much time at the bench. I have managed to sand and rescribe the fuselage.

IMG_20160527_234619.jpg

IMG_20160527_234631.jpg

I also did a test fit to double check the intakes. There's no glue holding these in so they should close up nicely with a bit of clamping.

IMG_20160527_234702.jpg

IMG_20160527_234714.jpg

Unlike in Don's build, I've left the intake trunking full length. To get it to fit, the corners of the cockpit tub need to be shaved off a bit.

IMG_20160527_234729.jpg

I think I took a little too much off this side:

IMG_20160527_234735.jpg

I'll plug the hole shortly.

Carl

Hello Carl!! Hope you feel better!! Great progress on the intakes, takes time to get to that point. That is one big hunk of resin!! I can see how it would interfere with the intakes, i can see how it'll be tight on the gear wells too....time to think of a possible plan of attack. I can see 80 grit sandpaper in my future.

Don