Kayaba KA-1/or-2

This is what has my attention riveted lately. Can't believe I actually found plans for this thing. Only took 3 days for them to get to the US on the jet-stream, and they've been found from Mexico to Alaska, and inland as far as Kansas. Made by school girls out of paper, and over 9000 were launched. Fascinating reading.

post-4413-1245549052.jpg

P-38 gunsight footage of one being shot down.

post-4413-1245549107.jpg

Another view;

post-4413-1245549247.jpg

Balloon envelope was 34 feet, so I got a styrofoam ball at a local crafts store (a little over 12 inches) that will do nicely. Here's the plans enlarged to 1/32nd scale, with the Kayaba alongside for a view to proportions. This is going to be so cool. :rolleyes: I'll be using steel wire to hold the balloon up, so it will be free-standing....kinda like a lamp. Should have the rotors on the KA-1 by tomorrow, so I'll post more pics then, eh?! Later, Russ

post-4413-1245549538.jpg

Wheeew Hooo! Haven't posted in a couple of days, so I thought I'd pop in and show this project is still alive. :P Been busy with a Norwegian F-104 build, pilots in cool pressure suits for the future SR-71 project, and a free-style flying ornithopter gizmo I wanted to play around with ....so, I didn't get finished in my 2-week deadline. Oh well, I'm still plugging away at it....and I'll bet the sun will still rise tomorrow.

Sheesh Rick, You sure know how to find some cool stuff on the web! Lots of neat info on that site. Thanks! Here's some pics I took of the pinwheel after I mocked up the rotors for it, uhmmm, a couple of days ago I believe. Got more done on it since then but I'm too lazy to take anymore pics.

post-4413-1245843984.jpg

Rotor-head is more detailed now, and I've got the cockpit coaming installed. Finally got the braces holding up the horizontal stab in place....blah blah. Hmmmm, I'll have to get off my duff and take some more pics. Gotta go,...got a bouncing little 'software update ball' jumping onto my screen, and it's time for ICE CREAM!!!! :P Be back soon with another update. Russ

post-4413-1245844566.jpg

Russ, my friend, you continue to amuse and amaze!! post-3154-1245899916.gif

If you had any more irons in the fire, the fire would just get smothered and go out. Yet you scold yourself for not having a 100% scratch-built model done in two weeks? post-3154-1245900038.gif

Guest Rigor

WoW russ,look's great can't wait to see it in paint!! :lol: and very different too..

oh,yes it's allmost that time :)

This is what has my attention riveted lately. Can't believe I actually found plans for this thing. Only took 3 days for them to get to the US on the jet-stream

I was just thinking this is a strange way to get plans delivered, then re-read the post ;)

I can't believe I haven't looked in this group build area for a few weeks and there's yet another Russ build started and almost finshed :) Looks really good mate