Kayaba KA-1/or-2

Day 9; The dirge continues to stumble, whir, and clack along in spite of everything else I've had going on this week! Whoohoo! :ph34r: All this new cool activity going on in this GB has inspired me to keep plugging away at this mutant pin-wheel. Finally got to do some sanding and smoothing, and got it sitting on it's landing gear. I still have the lower legs to install on the gear, but only had time tonight to either finish that,....or post some pics. The landing gear is kinda unique to say the least, but with some wire inserted into some styrene tubing I managed to keep it lined up and strong. Whew! Gonna throw out some pics here in no particular order to show where I'm at. Looks like some kind of angry insect right now. heh heh

post-4413-1245241156.jpg

post-4413-1245241187.jpg

Wish I had more time to elaborate,(ya'll know how much I like flapping my gums ;) ) but I got some ice cream to devour for my 'mid-nite snack'.

Can't for the life of me remember what could have possibly inspired me to build this thing. Hmmmm. Probably won't remember until after I've got it done. Uhhh, what was the question again? :ph34r:

post-4413-1245241487.jpg

post-4413-1245241510.jpg

Hubert has convinced me that I MUST have a wood prop on this, so I've been Dremeling on a chunk of mahogany. Lotsa fun, and messy. Should have the gear done tomorrow night, and most of what's left of the fuse. Stuff like engine cowling vents, foot-steps, and the fairing over the top of the horizontal stab. Already have the rotor blades pretty well mocked up, so it's looking pretty good for my self-imposed schedule. Gotta go everyone, Haagen-Daas chocolate is calling me. More pics as things progress! :ph34r: Later, Russ

post-4413-1245242172.jpg

post-4413-1245242192.jpg

Guest Rigor

What the !@!#@!@#$#@ $%$^ %^%&^&^&^& :ph34r: you make it look soooooooooooooo easy! look's great, nice work as allways :(

and no iam "not" going to bring it up ;)

Ooooooh my, Dadgummit I didn't get as much done on this thing as I wanted tonight.....cuz I got side-tracked BIG TIME!!!! :P Always looking up and to the left(or is it right? hmmm.) with an 'catching flies with my open mouthed slack-jawed look' and 1000yrd. stare thinking about a next project....and EUREKA! Had to look and see what the deadline is for this GB is, and methinks I might be able to cram this project into my schedule. Anybody reading this ever seen a pic of the 'fire balloons' the Japanese let loose to float over the US? ;)

Meh, wouldn't have a pilot...which would cramp my style a bit, and well it's not exactly an airplane (uhhh, I don't think the 'Mighty Kayaba' is either?), and heck I don't know if they even had a 'rising sun' emblem on em. Still, as Mr. Spock would say,"fascinating". The last victory scored by an Allied pilot in WWII was one of these balloons somewhere over Canada I believe, about a week after the war ended. Hmmmmmm. But I digress;

Got the landing gear just about done tonight, with some scrap sprue 'bullet fairings' and lower legs attached. Sheesh, building this LG is like climbing Mt. Fuji,....not something you'd want to do twice. Reached an impasse on my rim/tire combo, as the vinyl O rings are the right diameter, but suck width-wise. Whaaaah, I wanted'Trumpeter like' vinyl tires! :lol: On to plan 'B', whatever that is,.....I'm making this up as I go along. Here's some pics I took before putting some putty on the ole 'rhinoceros horn' rotor-head with the 'crew' in place. Bahahaha, I sure get a kick outta those dweebs. Oh yeah, also notice my new wooden prop with the patented and cutting edge 'scimitar tips' to give a .000003525 increment of added thrust for those hawk-like diving attacks.(don't want to go too much faster, or the Hirohito-cocktails might blow out in the slip-stream. :o ) heh heh, I'm not COMPLETELY stoopid.

post-4413-1245321073.jpg

post-4413-1245321096.jpg

Man, I feel ripped off that the 'Mighty Kayaba' never received a cool allied code-name....like 'Percival, or Oblio, or Zak. Didn't even warrant a Japanese moniker like "Angry Moth, Drone Bee, or heck,....even Thunder Turtle"! What's up with that?! :lol: This is a deadly machine of war, with the fire-power of an angry drunk. OK, rant over....I feel much better now. ;)

Should have some more pics tomorrow night after sanding on the 'prehensile toe' sticking outta the top of this thing, and maybe a trial fit of the rotors? Hmmmm, must not get too hasty as my 'Ent-friends' say, but this WAS Day-10,.....and there IS that 'fire-balloon' project now pending...... :o Later All, Russ

post-4413-1245321985.jpg

post-4413-1245322004.jpg

Man, I feel ripped off that the 'Mighty Kayaba' never received a cool allied code-name....like 'Percival, or Oblio, or Zak. Didn't even warrant a Japanese moniker like "Angry Moth, Drone Bee, or heck,....even Thunder Turtle"! What's up with that?! ;) This is a deadly machine of war, with the fire-power of an angry drunk.

How about Mothra!

Great work as usual Russ !

I agree your wheels look more like soap-box wheels than real ones, but that adds to the charm of the insect...Like your prop as well. I did not dare use the Dremel on mine. I am old fashioned blade-and-file user when it comes to this kind of work.

Look forward to your updates in the coming (closing ;) ) days.

Hubert.

This thing is really shaping up Russ, stay the course dude...stay the course and finish this mothra..uh I mean mutha. I think Mothra is the code name for it after all, yeah thats it. I uh saw it in a Kukofan book, yeah...thats the ticket. I was er uh looking through it with my wife Morgan Fairchild. Mothra it is...we the Allied forces have thus named it so. ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bwhahahaha! Yeah, well while I was cuddled up next to the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders (they're such a handful and hard to keep amused off-season :) ), the subject was broached. Of course, they think the 'Mighty Kayaba' is "cute"....so they had names like "Puff", "Sparkles", and stuff like that. Hmmmmpf; but I digress. Haven't posted any pics in the last few days, so I need to catch up a little. Been distracted by the 'fusen-bakudan'/ Fu-Go/ balloon bomb project. I am loathe to start a thread on that build, as I am afraid of being pelted by rocks and 'booed' off-stage. (not that it has ever stopped me before :rolleyes: ) heh heh. Soooo, I'm going to post pics of that later on in this thread. Can't recall seeing a balloon-build on LSP before, so it might be interesting?

Here's where I was on the KA-1 yesterday. Got the cowl flaps, oil cooler, rudder,streamlines fairings on the gear,wheels/tires, and rotor-head pretty much mocked up. Just have the rotors themselves, a few handles, a pitot, and the cockpit coaming left to install....which I'm doing today. Some slightly delayed progress pics;

post-4413-1245548281.jpg

post-4413-1245548308.jpg