32 nd scale Hawker Tempest the hard way...

Loic

same part seen from the top: not much to say here appart that I did cut my skin too short and I now have an issue with the trailing edge I will need to correct sometime later...

one can see some rought detail of the cockpit bottom details (alignment is quite poor indeed) and also a quite big piece of evergreen profil I used to make the wing stiffer and try to manage the alignement of this section.

post-3547-1207690217.jpg

That's more or less it for today, I hope you liked it.

Next step are:

- fit the spit wing to this centre part

- complete wheel wells detailling process

- create the landing gear (that is going to be fun!).

- skin the bottom wing (already prepared but have no pic cause no big interest so far)

Wish you all a good night/day and as usual, all kind of comments are very welcome.

Cheers,

Loic

Fantastic work Loic! Really impressive scratch building and detailing. I'm really impressed with your skill and determination here, on what is an incredibly ambitious and difficult conversion. Salute!

Kev

Hello everybody,

first of all thanks Kev and Derek for your kind words. Sharing my work and getting such feed back is very rewarding and gives highest motivation. As a result, I have never build anything that fast before!

So I am back with some more pic and details on the wings and more specificaly the "Tem-fire" or "spit-pest" (that's your call) wing conversion.

Here is what I have came up with after a quite heavy surgery, lots of sanding (remember these wings come from a model I built when I was about 10 year old... no need to say more I guess) and some filling (wheel wells) using styren card and putty. The starboard bottom wing has a bigger styren insert because of the radiator that is normally in this place and that I hd to remove. All this styren needs to be sanded flush compared to the main wing.

It is also possible to see the spit recessed panel line (this is the older Revell kit) filled (!!) with the grey paint I applied in the 80' on the bottom parts (gives you an idea of the thinkness of this paint!). The top was brown/green so it is not quite visible on the pic. Also note the port wing is rescribbed, the starboard one is not yet.

I have been little lazy and did chose to "only" open the port side gun and ammo bay.

post-3547-1207764663.jpg

Next question is how did this match the Tempest wing profile?...

I have had a little play time with photoshop and have superposed some pics of my wings and some profile (squadron in action) and tryed to witness the result.

The profiles are not quite 100% the same scale as my wings pictures which explains the slights differences one may spot but this is rather convincing to me...

:lol:

post-3547-1207765339.jpg

Same excercie now with my wings and the spit profile...

Now it is more obvious where these wings come from right? It also shows what sort of "surgery" I have had to apply.

Man! tell me those 2 airplane wings does not look similar now... just look at the leading edge that is almost 100% identical according to the rather good fit on both profile!!

:lol:

post-3547-1207765797.jpg

So now lets have a quick look at how these babies fit to the previously made centre wing bit!

Well, the honnest answer is so & so... :lol:

Remember the centre wing was designed from the spit wing profile so we are not that far away but the fit is not that good overall.

I had to glue some styren stripes into the spit wing to try reshaping it (this is an other possible use of the wing construction technique indeed). I finally came up with something acceptable but I am slightly disappointed to be fair.

This will need lots of filling, sanding, filling again, sanding again, etc... :angry:

Anyway, for the first time ever on the web (drum roll...) here are 2 shots of the home made Tem-fire/Spit-pest assembled top wing !

post-3547-1207766832.jpg

Talking about an other not so good point now...

Those 2 pic (mainly the first one) show in some fairly obvious maner a big mistake I made :lol:

I told earlier that I had cut the centre wing top part "too short" and this is now visible at the trailling edge. The elliptical shape is not quite 100% accurate and the closer from the fuselage you get, the more obvious it gets.

Well, caution as the angle at which the pic was shot also either minimize or emphasys this issue and this is visible if you compare this area on both "front" and "rear" pic.

Anyway, the issue is here and I will have to fix it! I have an idea on how to do it but this is for later. :ph34r:

That's it for tonight. Wish you all a happy modeling time and hope to come back soon with some more updates!

Cheers,

Loic