Photo

Hobby Boss IL-2M3 (*DONE* and more pics added to Pg.7!)

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#16 mywifehatesmodels

mywifehatesmodels

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:48 PM

I determined that, before proceeding with more of the cockpit, I needed to work on the rear fuselage. The cockpit is going to require the addition of some rather fragile parts on the sidewalls that I didn't want to risk breaking or losing when working on the fuselage halves, later. For those who are familiar with this kit, you know that one of the main complaints about it is that the rear fuselage is rendered as metal, with panel lines and rivet detail, where it should actually be wood, devoid of any real details. So, the lines/rivets have to be removed. To do this, I've masked off the metal portions, where they would meet the wood and applied Tamiya white putty to the "wood" areas.

20141004_131528_zps9e0ff0c4.jpg

20141004_132529_zps4c13be8c.jpg

I will probably give this a day or two to completely cure, then sand everything flush. After the interior is completed and the fuselage and wings are together, I'll have to go back and do some work on the wing roots, specifically at the rear portions, as they don't have any panel lines where the metal would have overlapped the wood rear fuselage. I think I'll be masking this off and building up the wing root panels with Mr. Surfacer to get the required effect. In the meantime, I'll be working on some more of the cockpit details and painting of the interior (basically everything that doesn't need to be attached to the sidewalls. I just wanted to get this fuselage detail fix moving along, first.

John

• Learstang likes this

#17 Loic

Loic

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Following with great interet  ;)

Cheers!________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In the work :   Dornier Do 335   /   A-1H/J Skyraider   /   Mirage F1 (Scratchbuild)  /  Mirage IIIC

Completed builds :   Hawker Tempest (kitbash)   /   Nakajima B5N Kate (Scratchbuild)   /   Spitfire Mk I

Master pattern work:   DB-603 Engine    /   F4U-1 Corsair engine bay 

#18 EmperorKai

EmperorKai

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hey John

Great to see you moving along on this!  Just a heads up- the panel lines for the wing root are missing both at the rear (you mentioned above) AND the front.  I didn't notice the front ones were missing until much later in my build.  They are easy to miss and kind-of a pain to get to.

Looking Good!

Kai

CED72089%20clean%20mod%20sig_zpskkmwui1l

On the bench: F4D-1 Skyray  |   A-10 NAW  |  Egyptian Mig-19S  |  Boeing P-26A Peashooter  |  Bristol Beaufighter Mk X TFX

In the case:  IL-2 Sturmovik  |  F-8E Crusader  |  Yak-18

#19 mywifehatesmodels

mywifehatesmodels

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Kai!

Actually, I recall reading about that in your build thread, just the other night. I'm not sure what possessed them to leave out this detail, but it is what it is and we just have to deal with it.

John

#20 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,071 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:35 PM

John

One sweet project and looking forward to following your progress. Nice start and it's a shame that HB made sure a mistake, requiring so much putty and filler work

Keep 'em coming

Peter

0338ba3a-e311-4dab-8212-e3c738b97d5d_zps

ZM He 219 A-O

#21 mark31

mark31

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

looking good so far.

I didnt know that about the metal.

keep going :popcorn:

Mark

#22 mywifehatesmodels

mywifehatesmodels

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:41 AM

Thanks, all!

Kai, I noticed that the panel line at the front of the wing root is also missing, but only on ONE side! :mental: Whatever. I'll deal with it, I guess.

I've been busy with other stuff this weekend, but did manage to get a little bit further. I sanded the putty back down on the rear fuselage and also pecked away at more of the cockpit details.

20141005_193522_zps2cd7b45c.jpg

20141005_190533_zpsade285ff.jpg

The placement of some of the parts in Eduard's instructions is a little vague, so I'm going to check some photos before going any further. I think I might have to relocate a couple things, but better to have to do it now, rather than later. I'm also considering adding some more wiring/tubing to the cockpit and, in particular, the control column/yoke, just to liven it up a bit. The real thing was a bit more complex than what the kit provides, so if I can get a little closer to looking like the real thing, that will be good. Otherwise, I'm liking the Eduard set, so far. Most of the parts are actually useful, which is more than I can say for some of their other sets I've used.

Thanks again for dropping in!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels, 06 October 2014 - 12:43 AM.

• harvey and Girlscanplay2 like this

#23 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 37,609 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:58 AM

Coming together nicely John!

Kev

#24 Loic

Loic

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

Indeed !

I want to build one of these someday  ;)

Cheers!________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In the work :   Dornier Do 335   /   A-1H/J Skyraider   /   Mirage F1 (Scratchbuild)  /  Mirage IIIC

Completed builds :   Hawker Tempest (kitbash)   /   Nakajima B5N Kate (Scratchbuild)   /   Spitfire Mk I

Master pattern work:   DB-603 Engine    /   F4U-1 Corsair engine bay 

#25 Old Dog

Old Dog

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

John, I found that when I tried to place the Eduard parts on the starboard side of the cockpit to match photos I could find that they wouldn't fit. It's like the Eduard parts are a bit over sized. In the end I got them close and liked the look but they are off a bit from photos.

#26 mywifehatesmodels

mywifehatesmodels

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

OD,

After doing some research of my own, I see exactly what you mean. I'll probably do something similar to what you did with yours and just try to put everything in to "busy it up" the best I can. Another problem I'm facing is finding good photos of the real thing. Plenty of flight sim renditions and drawings out there. Even one photo of a restored cockpit, but plenty of contradictions between them. Then, comparing them to the kit and the Eduard set leads to even more confusion. I'm just going to forge ahead with what I have and hope that no Sturmovik pilots stop by my house in the future to critique my build! :innocent:

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels, 06 October 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#27 mywifehatesmodels

mywifehatesmodels

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

Added a few bits to the control column, this morning.

20141006_092133_zps63e7b41f.jpg

• Girlscanplay2 likes this

#28 Old Dog

Old Dog

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

Considering the number built and the crazy Russians I suspect there was some variation anyway so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Control column looks good !

#29 mywifehatesmodels

mywifehatesmodels

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

Thanks, OD.

Quick question for you! I think I'll be building up the engine, next. I see that you opted to just do the basics on yours, as I plan to do, as well. However, I also noticed that it appears as if you added the exhaust stacks AFTER painting the exterior/camo. Did you have any issues getting the pipes in by doing it this way? I have the Quickboost pipes, but I'm sure the same principles apply. Was just wondering if it was any hassle, because masking around them and not knocking them off has it's own hassles!

I also just opened up the Eduard exterior set, wanting to make sure that there isn't anythiing in there that I should be adding before completing/painting the cockpit and engine, then buttoning up the fuselage. Looks like I'm safe for the moment and I see that there are parts abound to cover the radiator. In fact, this set is LOADED with parts. Not sure I'll use them all, but it's nice to know that so many details are available, if I should decide that they fit the bill!

Thanks again,

John

#30 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,071 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:45 PM

John

Some excellent progress

Keep 'em coming

Peter