I determined that, before proceeding with more of the cockpit, I needed to work on the rear fuselage. The cockpit is going to require the addition of some rather fragile parts on the sidewalls that I didn't want to risk breaking or losing when working on the fuselage halves, later. For those who are familiar with this kit, you know that one of the main complaints about it is that the rear fuselage is rendered as metal, with panel lines and rivet detail, where it should actually be wood, devoid of any real details. So, the lines/rivets have to be removed. To do this, I've masked off the metal portions, where they would meet the wood and applied Tamiya white putty to the "wood" areas.
I will probably give this a day or two to completely cure, then sand everything flush. After the interior is completed and the fuselage and wings are together, I'll have to go back and do some work on the wing roots, specifically at the rear portions, as they don't have any panel lines where the metal would have overlapped the wood rear fuselage. I think I'll be masking this off and building up the wing root panels with Mr. Surfacer to get the required effect. In the meantime, I'll be working on some more of the cockpit details and painting of the interior (basically everything that doesn't need to be attached to the sidewalls. I just wanted to get this fuselage detail fix moving along, first.