Revell Bae Hawk

scvrobeson

Hey there guys. While working on the Sukhoi, Hunter, and the Skyhawk landing gear, I decided to get started on another project I've been really wanting to get to. This is the Revell Bae Hawk, and what a nice kit it is. Besides the crazy red plastic, the molding and detail in this one really are great. The only things I thought I could improve on are the cockpit and seats, and luckily Eduard came to my rescue there, releasing a photo-etch set to add the sidewall detail Revell missed entirely. While I was at it, I set about replacing the seats, just because I didn't like the decal seatbelts, and I hate PE ones, they just never look right. So luckily someone told me that the MB-10B seats used in the Tornado are pretty much a dead-on match for the MB-10A seats used in the Hawk, so I was able to pick up some CAM resin seats off Great Models, much cheaper than the Aires ones. I also picked up the Air Data book, which really seems to have some great photos of all of the parts inside the Hawk, and should really help out.

The last thing that has been added is a set of AdAstra camo masks (Thanks Ian! :thumbsup: ) But the scheme will be kept secret for a little bit, but I encourage you all to guess at what it will be. :rolleyes:

Moving on, here are the first pictures!

CopyofHawkT1A001.jpg

CopyofHawkT1A002.jpg

HawkT1A003.jpg

The Eduard photo-etch. All of this should really help bring the cockpit up to the next level. What Revell provides is decent, but the Eduard stuff really is a step up

HawkT1A007.jpg

HawkT1A008.jpg

HawkT1A009.jpg

And the CAM resin seats. These things are gorgeous, I can't believe that they only cost me 7 dollars, and the Aires ones would have cost me 30! Looks like I got the better end of the deal.

HawkT1A004.jpg

HawkT1A005.jpg

And the reference book. I've never heard of this company before, but they do some really good stuff. This book has tons of good info and pictures. I'll probably end up supplementing it with the Kagero book, but that's only a maybe right now.

HawkT1A006.jpg

And being me, I couldn't resist a quick tape-together to see how this whole thing will go together. It looks like it will go together fine, but I might end up reinforcing a couple of the seams because of the really low number of alignment aids for a Revell kit.

HawkT1A010.jpg

Only problem I've found so far is some ejector pins in the cockpit, but luckily some Tamiya white putty and Mr. Surfacer took quick care of those, and now I can start mounting the Eduard etch on the sides.

Thanks to everyone for reading in. I start school up tomorrow, but I should have enough time to work on this one and get it done relatively quickly.

All comments and critiques are welcome guys. :speak_cool:

Matt :party0023:

Choosing to not rest on my laurels too much, I got a start on this build. The first step was to do the photo-etch sidewalls, so I could start on the cockpit parts. The Eduard stuff wasn't too hard to work with, but it really adds a huge difference in the otherwise black sides. After that was done, I started painting on the cockpit. First, it got a coat of Alclad Dull Aluminum, which I like because of the dull sheen, which doesn't offer as much contrast as their other Aluminum shades. After that, some Micro-mask was sponged on, then a coat of Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green was laid down, thinned with lacquer thinner to give it the proper bite into the plastic. Once those were all dried up, I finally sponged on some more Micro-mask over the yellow green, then moved to the grey. The actual cockpit color was meant to match the Eduard photo-etch, instead of trying to color match the PE to the plastic. It ended up being a mix of Mosel Master Medium Grey and Dark Sea Grey, which seemed to give the right color that I wanted. Then I removed the Micro-mask, giving me a nice multi-layered chipping effect which I've seen in many Hawk cockpits.

HawkT1A012.jpg

HawkT1A011.jpg

HawkT1A016.jpg

HawkT1A019.jpg

HawkT1A023.jpg

HawkT1A020.jpg

HawkT1A024.jpg

HawkT1A026.jpg

HawkT1A027.jpg

Well, that's all for now. Hopefully I can get some work done during this week, maybe even get the cockpit done, and then move on to the intakes and wheel bays, luckily I've stocked up on Tamiya Flat White! :speak_cool:

Thanks for reading in everyone! I hope you're all enjoying this build, I'm having fun with it, can't wait till I can start laying paint on the outside, this will hopefully be a great scheme!

Even though this build thread seems to be deader than the Ottoman Empire, I'll keep updating anyway. I got the seats mostly done today. I started out by giving the seats a coat of black, then a coat of the interior grey color. After that, I started the detail painting with Tamiya acrylics, Flat Black, Flat Red, Olive Green, Khaki Drab, and Olive Drab. Then the belts were done with Model Master enamel RAF Middlestone, which seemed to be a good match for the modern RAF seatbelt shade. All that's left to do now is a little bit of dry-brushing and washing, in order to weather the seats, and make them look more lived in.

HawkT1A029.jpg

HawkT1A028.jpg

HawkT1A030.jpg

HawkT1A031.jpg

HawkT1A032.jpg

These CAM seats really are a work of art. And all for 7 dollars, that was such a great deal. Can't believe Aires wants 30 dollars for these things, when CAM offers them for so much less. And the cast on belts really do look nicer and more natural than PE seat-belts do. I just hope I don't do something stupid when I cut them off the casting block....

That's it for this update, I hope that someone out there is enjoying this build. I'm busy this weekend, but hopefully I'll get some more done next week, and maybe move on to the intakes, the last step before the fuselage goes together.

great work, those seats look excellent, I'm going to steal your idea of using middlestone for the belts :speak_cool: there is some difference between the hawk seats and the tornado seats but not sure what they are. I am going to do what you have done, when I do mine anyway seeing as the resin makers have ignored this lovely little kit

Bruce

HawkT1A031.jpg

Nice work Matt :goodjob:

Just a few suggestions whith regards to the ejection seats if I may?

The chief visible difference between the Tornado MB 10A-1 & -2 and that of the Hawk T.Mk.1 MB 10B-1 & -2 is the curved pipe work on either side of the head box - you need to remove these for the Hawk aircraft (if it is not too late of course?).

The PSP cushion is normally covered in a black leatherette type material, and the parachute back pad is generally an olive green-brown nylon colour (not brown leather).

Otherwise, I am really enjoying your build - brilliant :speak_cool:

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Nice work on the seats and pit.

Im thinking to buy myself a hawk.

That book is it only over the T1 or other versions to?

Mark

Thanks Mark. The book covers every version of the Hawk, from the early T1s all the way to the Hawk 200 versions.

I'm glad you like it, the seats really are nice, and Great Models still has a few left in stock.

great work, those seats look excellent, I'm going to steal your idea of using middlestone for the belts :speak_cool: there is some difference between the hawk seats and the tornado seats but not sure what they are. I am going to do what you have done, when I do mine anyway seeing as the resin makers have ignored this lovely little kit

Bruce

I know, it's kind of crazy that no has released anything for this kit, it's kind of strange. There is some photo-etch, but that is it for the Hawk. The Tornado seats are close, but as Derek pointed out, there are some problems that need to be changed between the MB-10A and MB-10B. The middlestone does seem to be the proper match, and once the seat is weathered, it should hopefully look just like the real seat harnesses.

Edited by scvrobeson

Nice work Matt :goodjob:

Just a few suggestions whith regards to the ejection seats if I may?

The chief visible difference between the Tornado MB 10A-1 & -2 and that of the Hawk T.Mk.1 MB 10B-1 & -2 is the curved pipe work on either side of the head box - you need to remove these for the Hawk aircraft (if it is not too late of course?).

The PSP cushion is normally covered in a black leatherette type material, and the parachute back pad is generally an olive green-brown nylon colour (not brown leather).

Otherwise, I am really enjoying your build - brilliant :speak_cool:

Derek

Of course Derek. Thank you for the help. I had no idea on the differences between the two seats, so your help is really great. I will remove the pipe work, it isn't too late yet. I should be able to paint match the grey to cover where I cut off the ducting.

I have a few pictures of the bottom seat cushion in that olive green color, most of my pictures I've taken off of Britmodeller, and it's pretty green to me. I will touch up the back pad though. It's Tamiya Khaki, but I do agree that it looks a little bit brown in the pictures.

Thank you, I'm glad that you're liking the build. It's really not too bad, the Revell kit is a really good base.

...Matt,

EXEMPLARY workmanship on the Seats and the Cockpit..AMAZING details and

I am thoroughly enjoyng this build..Keep up the good work :popcorn:

VERY GOOD INDEED. :thumbsup: :speak_cool:

Thanks Maru. You always have some great comments to give. I'm really glad you're enjoying the build. There is still a lot of work to do in the cockpit, to make it look more used, but nothing too crazy. Probably just a wash and dry-brush.

I hope to not disappoint with the rest of the build, the exterior scheme will hopefully be the star of the show.

Nice work! Seats are killer, dude. Pit is coming along very well.....Harv :goodjob: :popcorn:

Thanks Harv!! I really like how the seats came out, the CAM stuff is really nice for the price. There's still some more work to do. I need to do a wash, and drybrush, and the stenciling on the seat warning panels. On dry-fitting, it looks like the kit will seal up quite nicel

I'm glad you like it, I hope your P-38 is going well still

Hi Matt,

Just been doing a little digging into the seat colour thing. It looks like the PSP seat cushion is correct as you have painted - green. It appears that with the original 'winged headbox' parachute container design, the seat had a different harness and PSP cushion (i.e. golden brown straps and black cushion - see picturs below):

1800252671_025a0e8b50_o.jpg

mk_xb_10.jpg

andymk104.jpg

post-1264-1198965235.jpg

The ejection seat parachute assembly, parachute headbox and PSP were then modified/upgraded - the headbox now being more rectangular in shape. The seat straps were also of a different colour and webbing design - the QRF was thinner as well, and, of course, the PSP seat cushion changed to a fabric green item (see below):

5506745083_225543a94a.jpg

pixel.gifpixel.gif5506739763_a1d3c56d43.jpg

(All phtos above borrowed from the internet under fair use policy for the purposes of illustration only).

HTH

Derek

Hey Derek! Thanks for doing all of that digging for me. It really helps out. I'll probably leave the seatbelt color as is, because I really like the Middlestone shade, but it isn't too late to change it. Just wondering what that odd shade of green would be.

Anywho, I did remove those bars off the side of the headrest, and touched up the paint. After that, I went in and dry-brushed with some light grey, and then hit it with a black wash. it really helped the rivets and shadows pop out, I really like how the seats came out. All I need to do now is the stenciling, and maybe re-paint the belts, thanks to the new pictures I have.

HawkT1A033.jpg

HawkT1A034.jpg

HawkT1A035.jpg

HawkT1A036.jpg

HawkT1A037.jpg

After making the decision to do intake and exhaust covers for the Hawk, I just glued those parts together, then glued the fuselage halves together. They went together pretty well, I did have to do a little sanding to make everything close well, and then closed it all up. All that needed to be applied was a bit of Mr. Surfacer 500 onto all of the seams, then I will address it in the morning once it's dried. then I'll add the little tube into the top vent, then attach the wings! :thumbsup:

HawkT1A038.jpg

HawkT1A039.jpg

HawkT1A040.jpg

The last picture is of the Eduard photo-etch instrument panels. The self-adhesive panels really are great, they just need a flat coat, and some Future on the dials to give them the glass look.

HawkT1A041.jpg

HawkT1A042.jpg

I hope you're all enjoying this build. Since no one has even put in a guess to what special scheme I'm doing, maybe I'll reveal it in the next post, but I'll still entertain any guesses.

Thanks everyone for reading in. It means a lot. Hope to get some more done soon on this one, get to the exterior work, which should be the star of the show. :thumbsup:

Hey guys. Since no one has even tendered a guess to what I'm doing with this build, I guess I'll show you all. This scheme is going to be courtesy of Ian at AdAstra, since it's the one anniversary scheme Xtradecals hasn't done- http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/British-Aerospace-Hawk/1711730/L/&sid=c4d215684093e2beb37edc74448f6e2e

This scheme is really going to be a beauty once it's done, I just have to make sure I don't screw it up with the masking and painting.

But moving on with the build, I have it all smoothed out now, and it's been primed. The first chunk of this update will have to do with smoothing out the fit, and the second part will be the plane all primed. Instead of my normal Tamiya primer, I decided to just prime it with Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey. It really helped me give a consistent coat down to the plastic, and hide the red. Now it looks much more pleasant, and should make painting the white much easier in the long run. Instead of having to put down ten or so coats of white to cover the red, now it will probably just need one or two. :thumbsup:

HawkT1A044.jpg

HawkT1A048.jpg

This was just an odd step, I think caused by the plastic flexing, but I'm not sure. It's just Mr. Surfacer, nothing else.

HawkT1A047.jpg

Intakes took some putty to fair in, but show me a modern jet kit that doesn't need any filling on the intakes.

HawkT1A049.jpg

Nothing bad here, just a little step at the rear of the wing fit, but again nothing bad, just some Mr. Surfacer 500. There is no real putty on here, just surfacer.

HawkT1A050.jpg

And some very solid fit under the wing and intake, especially considering how many angles and pieces had to come together in one spot. Getting in there to sand was a little challenging, but I figured it out in the end.

That's the first part of this update, I'll get part 2 right up here in a minute or so. :speak_cool: