Tamiya F-14B VF-103 Jolly Rogers 60th Anniversary

PhilB

Having bored you all senseless with only posting completed stuff, this is what I have been currently working on since last May. Now having more time I can make better progress. Its well into the build but I have lots more to do as only the basic aircraft is in "base" paint.

I will be using Eli's excellent Zotz decals. Light and dark ghost grey are White Ensign Colourcoats satins. Top colour is Medium Grey FS35237 for which I used Humbrol 145 which is matt. No problem as I do not use Future/Klear except on canopies. All the paint has been given a light sanding apart from where decals will go which is lightly polished to a smooth finish to avoid silvering. Sanding the medium grey produced a good "oxidised" effect which I will probably loose under the final satin clearcoat so I will have to pick out the panels in a lighter shade.

post-13803-1268045934.jpg

Rear tailplanes have been sprayed gloss black to accomodate the decals. This will be toned down afterwards with a satin/gloss clearcote as the actual aircraft appears quite glossy in this area.

post-13803-1268045945.jpg

Wndscreen "washers" made from rod together with 5 thou card blended in for the "blower" vent. This area will be black so I'll give it a drybrush to make it stand out.

post-13803-1268045958.jpg

More pics soon.

Phil

Rear of the gloves. Pictures show the extra rubber flaps and other detail as it is on the real aircraft. These were added using card. Given a base wash of Pro modeller dark but they need to be darker.

post-13803-1268046966.jpg

I am using the Aires "B/D" rear end. Have tried to simulate the carbonfibre using Alclad jet exhaust with a light dusting of satin black then cut back with a cotton bud with isopropyl alcohol.

post-13803-1268046977.jpg

Followed Masa Narita's method for the intakes. Word of warning! When you cut the "roof" of the intakes from the body make sure you tape the intake flaps part B8 to the intakes before attaching them to make the tunnel to fill etc. I didn't and they spread the intake causing a crack in the filler. Used the engine intakes from the Wolfpack D conversion as they are correct for the GE engines.

post-13803-1268046989.jpg

RIO's ip. Used the Black Box/Avionix F-14-B(Upgrade) set. Also used some parts from the Eduard interior set.

post-13803-1268047662.jpg

Opened up the ejector ports. All gun vents painted with Alclad Steel. This will be toned down with a dark satin wash. Only broken off one nosewheel door arm so far. Is this a record???

post-13803-1268047691.jpg

Phil

Sprayed satin black around the cockpit area then after leaving it overnight, gave it a quick buff to smooth out the "joint" lines from masking and to bring it up to somewhere between satin and gloss:

post-13803-1268144029.jpg

Decided that the top colour was a bit dark so post-shaded it this morning with a lighter shade of the original colour. This is matt at the moment but after a couple of days drying I will sand it back to bring some of the original colour through in some areas and polish the paint in other areas ready for decals.

post-13803-1268144159.jpg

Hope you like it so far.

Phil

I really like your painting technique Phil. I looks tough to get to the point of not being over-shaded and "patchworky". Really nice.

Thanks Matt.

I am not normally a fan of pre or post shading, in fact this is the first time I have done it "post". I am also very mindfull of avoiding the "patchwork quilt" effect which can look ok but I am trying for something a bit more subtle here.

Phil

great painting the fins are real high gloss no silvering there for the decals.

johan

Johan,

If she turns out half as good as the "D" you are doing at the moment, then I shall be very happy!

Thanks!

Phil

Looking good Phil

What did you do with the raised panels on the front fuselage. Do they need to be scribed around or just sanded off completely?

Thanks Andrew,

Those are a bit weird, bit like the raised "battle damage" panels on the F4 kit. I looked at photos on Torsten Anft's site and I am pretty sure the panels should be there but not raised.

I scribed round them first to ensure I could still see them after sanding. Then sanded them off which left my scribing "marker" visible. Needed a couple of extra passes with the scriber and you are left with the original panel but flat as it should be.

Phil

Thanks Andrew,

Those are a bit weird, bit like the raised "battle damage" panels on the F4 kit. I looked at photos on Torsten Anft's site and I am pretty sure the panels should be there but not raised.

I scribed round them first to ensure I could still see them after sanding. Then sanded them off which left my scribing "marker" visible. Needed a couple of extra passes with the scriber and you are left with the original panel but flat as it should be.

Phil

...The panels ARE there on the F-14; just not nearly as 'proud' of the surface as Tamiya molded them. So, really, it is whatever looks best to your eye...left in-place at 'some' level above the surrounding fuselage surface, or sanded down to 'level' as more paneling- which is probably closer in-scale to their height above the surface, which is why they don't show up well (if at all) in most pictures. FWIW...