Jasta 21 Fokker D VII

LSP_K2

I'll be doing this in the markings of Jasta 21. I realize by some accounts the kit (Revell), is a dog, but that's OK with me, as I just want at least one WWI machine for my display case; plus, I'll be adding "certain embellishments" to it as I go along. :fight: This project will run concurrently with my Starfighter and Rufus, and I think three will be my limit.

post-8159-1258492785.jpg

It may seem silly to some, but I now realize there aren't likely going to be any 1/28 decals for this project, so I'll just make my own. To that end, I've scaled up some 1/48 generic WWI markings and interpolated how the H code would be proportioned based upon a comparison with the above illustration. Once the image was dragged into AutoCAD, it was a rather simple matter of re-sizing picture to 1/48 proportions, then increasing to 1/28 scale. :)

post-8159-1258693643.jpg

Tiffy, the revell kit has good decals; for better lozenge go to Copper state. (and PE, resin, and I think a wooden AXIAL prop.)This is what I came up with:

I'm already intending to use some Copper State stuff on this bird. I'm not real sure I like the colors on their lozenge fabric decals though, plus they only seem to sell four color, and I need five color; I may use an alternate source. Is it just my imagination, or is the rudder too square on the Revell kit? If so, that should be an easy fix I'd think. Thanks for the input Mike.

:doh:

Is it just my imagination, or is the rudder too square on the Revell kit? If so, that should be an easy fix I'd think. Thanks for the input Mike.

:doh:

Hi Kevin,

Looking from the pictures, it could be, so that's an easy fix.

Also easy to fix is the wrong shape of the upper wing in frontal view.

The topside of the wing is straight and the lower side bends upwards. The kit has it the other way around.

All you need to do is make two partly cuts in the upper half at the kinks and bend the whole part straight.

The lower half is easy to bend upwards.

The most serious errors are in the fuselage shape.

The engine area seems o.k.

However, the sides behind it are too high but most importantly, in planview, the taper of the fuselage

starts way too far aft of the cockpit, making the fuselage looking terribly wrong.

The only solution here is scratchbuilding a new aft fuselage, I'm afraid.

This is what I recall are the worst aspects of the kit.

It's a pity they did it so wrong at the time.

There were and still are enough good examples around to take measurements of.

I hope I didn't scare you off to this one... :goodjob:

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Kevin,

Looking from the pictures, it could be, so that's an easy fix.

Also easy to fix is the wrong shape of the upper wing in frontal view.

The topside of the wing is straight and the lower side bends upwards. The kit has it the other way around.

All you need to do is make two partly cuts in the upper half at the kinks and bend the whole part straight.

The lower half is easy to bend upwards.

The most serious errors are in the fuselage shape.

The engine area seems o.k.

However, the sides behind it are too high but most importantly, in planview, the taper of the fuselage

starts way too far aft of the cockpit, making the fuselage looking terribly wrong.

The only solution here is scratchbuilding a new aft fuselage, I'm afraid.

This is what I recall are the worst aspects of the kit.

It's a pity they did it so wrong at the time.

There were and still are enough good examples around to take measurements of.

I hope I didn't scare you off to this one... :)

Cheers,

Peter

Nope; I'm not deterred. As stated, I'm going to just knock this one off mostly OOB. I may alter fuselage and rudder if they annoy me too much, but I just basically want to race through it so that I can have at least one WWI aircraft depicted for my display area. At this point in time, it seems rather silly to spend months on this old dog when a brand new kit is on its way. Thanks for the input.

Now that I have the kit "in hand", I can see what all the fuss is about regarding rear fuselage width. These two photos amply illustrate the extent of the problem; sides of Revell kit are almost parallel, creating a boat type shape that is far too "fat". I have deliberated on this at length and decided that this is not acceptable. I'll begin hacking and chopping this weekend. :angry2:

post-8159-1259121371.jpg

post-8159-1259121401.jpg

Also, I intend to depict upper cowling sides removed from engine area. I can’t tell from the attached image where/how this panel might have mounted; any ideas? I’m already aware that I’ll have to modify lower panels to depict an Albatross built machine, but this will be a relatively straightforward matter of adding some vents and small panels. :)

post-8159-1259121642.jpg

Kevin,

I'm glad you decided to modify the Revel D.VII. The kit just doesn't justice to the real thing without those much needed modifications.I'll be following this thread with the greatest of interest.Looking forward to the next update as well.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

depict upper cowling sides removed from engine area. I can’t tell from the attached image where/how this panel might have mounted;

Study the Panel lines in comparison to your Profile Side view. You will see the Upper cowl panel is removed behind the radiator and the Side Engine Access panel is attached. The curve of the engine acess panel matches along with the curve of the Aircraft airframe underneath it.

If you study the B/W photo posted above you can see the Zeus Fittings down the length of the Raditor securing the left side of the upper engine cowl. Due to over heating problems on Early DVII's with the 'Ducted Exhusts' those upper cowls were removed in the field and left off for flight. Later Production DVII's modified the exhuast and used the same straight over the side exhuast pipe as the Albatros series more typical for this engine installation.

Mike

At present, I have the Osprey Fokker DVII aces books (1 & 2), as well as the Squadron “in action” book. In none of the photographs do I see the fastening points for the upper engine cowling on the radiator housing nor the forward portion of the upper fuselage. The fasteners for the lower access cover however, are fairly clear. I’m also a member of the Aerodrome, perhaps I can get further assistance there. I really want this baby to look cool. I’ll be ordering the Copper State stuff this weekend. Probably overkill, but I also intend to build back of radiator, as well as add radiator hoses. :popcorn:

Fuselage is now more properly tapered. I realize full will this looks kind of nasty at the moment, but is nothing a little plastic and putty won't resolve; I kind of went nuts with the hair dryer! :lol: Tailplane will also be narrowed or extended, perhaps both, to meet fuselage sides.

post-8159-1259286849.jpg