Paul Richey's Hurricane MK I

pappy1

• 2 weeks later...
This build is definately going to cost me more money at the Grey Matter website !

Cheers

Den

Which wheels Pappy1?--remember that 'dear old G' had the early FIVE spoked wheels---like a Spit!!!!!!!!! Indeed you could use Spit wheels---in truth the Dia. is slightly smaller--but (in times past) I've made up the diff. using milliput!

Also---for what it's worth-----I have long felt that the type'B' roundels were--at some point--and for a period--outlined (not perfectly) in --probably, yellow---reaching right to the ailerons-----bit contentious perhaps---but there you have it...

Dave.

OK Dave, you have me reaching for the references, when was the cut off for 5 to 4 spoke wheels, I though the 5 spoke were pre war and early Mk 1.

Cheers

Den

L1679 was an early Hurricane---(October 1938)-the copy of 'fighter pilot' I have is from the mid eighties--and two good pics between pages 32 and 33 show 'G' with five spoke wheels and---the rear 3/4 shot shows what really looks like an outer ring around the 'B' roundel---I assumed yellow---though it's not the original 'A1' with a 'B' superimposed smaller leaving the yellow--as the dia. is too great--it looks like (to me) a completely standard type 'B' with a 'ring around it' possibly white---more likely yellow----and I imagine to help French trigger fingers---like the Tricolour rudders!

Cheers,

Dave.

L1679 was an early Hurricane---(October 1938)-the copy of 'fighter pilot' I have is from the mid eighties--and two good pics between pages 32 and 33 show 'G' with five spoke wheels and---the rear 3/4 shot shows what really looks like an outer ring around the 'B' roundel---I assumed yellow---though it's not the original 'A1' with a 'B' superimposed smaller leaving the yellow--as the dia. is too great--it looks like (to me) a completely standard type 'B' with a 'ring around it' possibly white---more likely yellow----and I imagine to help French trigger fingers---like the Tricolour rudders!

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave, could you possibly P.M. me some of the pictures you have of G as I only have a couple grainy oned Thanks Pappy1 Neal

Hi Dave, could you possibly P.M. me some of the pictures you have of G as I only have a couple grainy oned Thanks Pappy1 Neal

Oh! Neal---I wish I could--I have no ability! In the past, for others of the guy's Iv'e photostatted? pictures---or plans and posted them old fashioned style---and I will be more than happy to do that--but they will take a few weeks to get to you.

In truth they are not brilliant photos.---but good enough to make out quite a bit of detail when studied--if any of the guy's have the same book they---with abilities and equipment I don't have, could perhaps scan (or whatever) them for you.....

But certain things I can tell you from the photos--1) definately a 'ring' around upper wing roundel, as mentioned---this is without doubt. 2) early antenna. 3)no venturi under cockpit. 4) red spinner cap 5) definately 5 spoke wheels---no doubt. 6) VERY 'dirty' VERY---one caption says--"The lack of runways made our aircraft very muddy"---and believe me the photo. bears that out. 7) 'A' camo scheme---BUT in the photo captioned under (6) at some stage it had an upper cowling panel of 'B' camo fitted------but of course there would have been a 'before' when it was standard! 8) lower wing roundel ('A') ) definately on port --black--wing but no apparent outlne--just standard 'A' type---presumed the same on starboard wing. 9) external windscreen armour.

Sorry to be longwinded mate----let me know if i can be of any help-- Model looks lovely--but one point---not a criticism--just in case you wish to know---camo looks much more hard edged---it was slightly softer than--say early Spits.---but almost hard edged.

As I say---no criticism intended...

Dave. EDIT--warbirds (Vasko) used to do five spoke Hurri wheels----but excellent (as usual) though they were there was no difference to the Hasegawa spit wheels ---as i remeber it--other than a minute increase in tyre dia.---I subsequently used built up ones-----

Oh! Neal---I wish I could--I have no ability! In the past, for others of the guy's Iv'e photostatted? pictures---or plans and posted them old fashioned style---and I will be more than happy to do that--but they will take a few weeks to get to you.

In truth they are not brilliant photos.---but good enough to make out quite a bit of detail when studied--if any of the guy's have the same book they---with abilities and equipment I don't have, could perhaps scan (or whatever) them for you.....

But certain things I can tell you from the photos--1) definately a 'ring' around upper wing roundel, as mentioned---this is without doubt. 2) early antenna. 3)no venturi under cockpit. 4) red spinner cap 5) definately 5 spoke wheels---no doubt. 6) VERY 'dirty' VERY---one caption says--"The lack of runways made our aircraft very muddy"---and believe me the photo. bears that out. 7) 'A' camo scheme---BUT in the photo captioned under (6) at some stage it had an upper cowling panel of 'B' camo fitted------but of course there would have been a 'before' when it was standard! 8) lower wing roundel ('A') ) definately on port --black--wing but no apparent outlne--just standard 'A' type---presumed the same on starboard wing. 9) external windscreen armour.

Sorry to be longwinded mate----let me know if i can be of any help-- Model looks lovely--but one point---not a criticism--just in case you wish to know---camo looks much more hard edged---it was slightly softer than--say early Spits.---but almost hard edged.

As I say---no criticism intended...

Dave. EDIT--warbirds (Vasko) used to do five spoke Hurri wheels----but excellent (as usual) though they were there was no difference to the Hasegawa spit wheels ---as i remeber it--other than a minute increase in tyre dia.---I subsequently used built up ones-----

Thanks so much Dave,you've been more than helpful.I didn't know what color the prop spinner was,but now Know it was red thanks to you.I am not to much up on the different styles of roundels I.E. #3 style. Is there somewhere I can find examples of each kind rather than using the kit supplied ones ( From 40-41 era) Thanks again...Neal

Hi Neal,

That's just the spinner cap that was red mind---the prop blades just normal black

Somewhere a long time ago I did a post on the different Roundels--and then one of the guys added pics. (that I don't know how to!!!)

Suffice to say the standard Red/white/blue roundel is type 'A'

With a yellow outer it becomes a type 'A1'

The wing (mostly) roundel red/blue is a type 'B'

The later war red/white/blue but with narrow white is a type 'C'

With a narrow yellow outer it becomes a type 'C1'

Your Hurri uses therefore type 'B' on upper wings

Type 'A' on lower wings

also--in this case on fuse.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Neal,

That's just the spinner cap that was red mind---the prop blades just normal black

Somewhere a long time ago I did a post on the different Roundels--and then one of the guys added pics. (that I don't know how to!!!)

Suffice to say the standard Red/white/blue roundel is type 'A'

With a yellow outer it becomes a type 'A1'

The wing (mostly) roundel red/blue is a type 'B'

The later war red/white/blue but with narrow white is a type 'C'

With a narrow yellow outer it becomes a type 'C1'

Your Hurri uses therefore type 'B' on upper wings

Type 'A' on lower wings

also--in this case on fuse.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks again so much Dave. The info that you've given me has been helpful in so many ways.Thanks a million.....Neal...l Pappy1