Revell,Trumpeter P-38M Double Build

pappy1

Wow, not just one but two beautiful black babes! :punk:

Which markings are you planning?

Neal, excellent work on a kit which I built so long ago (silly how I destroyed it).

Harv, open just a few panels to peek inside. It is a lot of work to open panels and detail the innards which I usually avoid as it disturbs the graceful lines of aircraft. However, it was a natural thing as the ground crew did their best to keep the birds flying.

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Bummer,

Doesn't surprise me that Trump shrunk the engines, and they definitely look shrunk, the resin ones look more like the correct length. Trump stretched all their P&W R-2800 used in their Corsair and Hellcat kits so they fit in the cowl. I assume the T-Bolt is the same

Ron

Harvey,

I just happen to have access to TWO Allisons taken out of a flyable P-38 very close to here, I didnt think to measure it/them, but Id be happy to if you think that would help, then you can scale things down. I admire your perserverance (sp) Err ok tenacity ! I have a P-38 J-15 backdated trumpy kit Im working on as well, I feel your pain! :blink:

Paul

Ron, just the oposite on this kit. They shrunk them! Not streched them, I wish they had. Paul, thank you very much. If you get the chance, I would appreciate it mucho. Never can have too much info!.

Thanks for looking in guys...........Harv :blink:

No problem! Ill see if we can get up there this weekend also if you need wheel well details insides of radiators etc I have tons of pics of those as well... Im gonna give you a link to a video i found while researching, it keeps me inspired.. hope it does the same for you .

Paul

PS the video was shot where Im going to get your engine info, unfortuantely Jeff Ethell was killed flying this same P-38 Just shortly after this was shot. Keep going down the menu on Youtube for the rest of the episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQUjc9QfYYE

One thing that I did with mine (no pics, sorry) is to put in a little relief around the bolt heads on the front of the engine-- there are recesses in the face of the engine, the rounded part, that the resin engine exaggerates but trumpy's engine skips altogether. I just used a round burr chucked into my dremel (a very small one) and, with a steady hand, ground them out. There was a great pic here on LSP of the front of the engine, I can't find it now, that shows this.

Having said that, the question IS, will you see it or not? :evil_laugh:

Your 38 is looking great, can't wait to see more!

mike

Harv,

There ya go now you're movin again :evil_laugh:

Anything else detail wise you need that I havent already sent you, please dont hesitate to ask.

Looks good! Glad it worked out. Wait till ya get to the main gear bays! Oh Sooo much joy awaits you in there and you get to do it FOUR times! :piliot:

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Lookin real good bubba! I wanna see more though. Less pic up da pace man! Ya'll movin like pond water.

J

:speak_cool: Having spent many years traveling to the south I had a laugh reading this. I always bug my southern work colleagues that us Canucks don't have any U'alls!!

Keep it moving Harvey. Your engines are shaping up nicely but don't keep us waiting. :speak_cool:

:lol: Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Looking really Great there Harvey!

Make sure you put the clear "circular" panel in and make the lines around is edges disappear.. that panel isnt on a real P-38. That was Trumpeters interpetation of the bare metal area's left on the inside of the nacelle panel so the pilot could verify his gear is down, they should actually be oval in shape and not clear, but polished metal. Also, you may want to chop off and replace and close the oil cooler bypass doors, they are closed when the plane is on the ground.

Keep up the good work.

Paul