The Beer City Special

big matt

I was looking at some builds and was inspired by the Czech F-80 built by Texas and the one Danny is working on. Since I got the kit for my birthday I decided to give it a go. The AMS cockpit and other goodies Harold has done are really nice but I have decided to make this a budget build and see if I can work with the kit parts.

I hit Wings Palette for some schemes and really liked the 36th FBS colors. Fortunately, SuperScale has a decal set for it. My masking skills are a bit weak!

aircraft_f-80_36thfbs.jpg

Wasting no time while waiting for things to dry on my Mustang I tore into the kit. I stole the gunsight from my Dragon hangar queen.

f801010.jpg

Lots of wire and plastic.

f801009.jpg

f801007.jpg

The kit seat seems to be from a late model F-80 or even a T-33 so I played with it a bit. New brass headrest and I changed the foot rests. I can't do anything about the width but I ground away the back cushion and molded shoestring belts.

f801006.jpg

f801004.jpg

One more and back to work.

f801001.jpg

I am looking forward to working on this one. I hope it does not give me too many problems.

Matt

Hmmm, old school or cheap, I have not decided which... :speak_cool:

No rest for the weary. I have had some time off from work so I got some work done on the F-80.

Kit seat with some mods.

f802013.jpg

f802010.jpg

f802014.jpg

I guess it is a bit wide but it will do.

The kit panel turned out ok I think.

f802007.jpg

f802033.jpg

Sort of looks like a F-80 cockpit

f802022.jpg

f802046.jpg

f802025.jpg

Now I have to work on the cockpit sidewalls and the inlets.

I don't know enough about the subject to determine authenticity (which I sometimes think is a blessing since I don't fret the rivets so to speak :thumbsup:

I agree Dave. I found some decent references for the F-80 and I tried to get it close, considering my ability to manipulate plastic and wire...

Muddling along.

The inlet area is next on the hit list. There seem to be a few issues here with fit. I don't think it is too bad but a little patience helps. I found that there is a bump on the fuse which throws the inlet bulge out of whack. I took it down with a fiberglass pencil and the fit of the inlet section is much better.

Bad

f803001.jpg

Better

f803002.jpg

The guide vanes??? have a bit of a weird shape so they got straightened and thinned out. Original part on the left.

f803011.jpg

Following Texas' lead, I removed the tabs that keep the part from falling out of the hole in the fuselage. This lets you set the part in the hole at the right angle and distance from the fuselage. I am working on that section now so pics to follow.

I also have started working on the cockpit sidewalls. Just a bit of plastic here. Hopefully paint will help.

f803007.jpg

That's it for now.

Another boring update. :speak_cool: zzzzzzzz....

Progress is slowing. At least I got the inlets on.

f804011.jpg

This is what it looks like on the inside. There were locating tabs for the inlet vanes but they need to be removed to get the angle right.

f804016.jpg

If you don't remove them, you can't get the vanes perpendicular to the inlet.

f804010.jpg

It is a nice smooth transition now. Sort of. I also had to do some chiseling on the vents as they are just a simple scribed box with lines.

f804003.jpg

There were some mystery panel lines around the upper vent. They had to go away and new ones put in. The plane I am building seemed to have the oxygen filler cover removed. I noticed this in a bunch of pictures of F-80's. Only on the left side. So I drilled a hole in approximately the right place.

f804006.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for looking.

Matt

Those splitter veins (or whatever they are) look much better thinned down the way you did. The whole intake area of that kits seems a real devil to get straight but you've made it look really sharp. Nice work!

The snail-pace continues.

Added some plumbing to the nose gear well. A frustrating point here is the instructions have you install the nose gear leg AFTER you build the well. Ummm, then you cannot install the gear leg. Awesome.

f805003.jpg

Cockpit sides done and ducting installed. I think trying to line this mess up the way the instructions indicate would lead me to the nut house. :yahoo:

f805011.jpg

f805016.jpg

Here is where I got silly. The kit part has a dead end on the exhaust so I cut that out and stuck an unused part from a Trumpy F-105D in and added a bit of styrene. Well, it looks close in person...

f805017.jpg

My incredible photographic talents at work. :lol:

f805023.jpg

Lastly. The kit gun parts are nice but they don't fit the gun ports. If used per the manual, they would stick out on the sides as the resin parts are round and the gun ports are half moon shaped. I used a hypo needle for the .50's and ran them through the fuselage. Hopefully they will look right in the end.

f805026.jpg

Going to close up the fuselage today if I get the chance.

Thanks for checking in Texas, when I get stuck I check your build to borrow/steal ideas!

Harold, thanks for the tip on the tailpipe. I made an adjustment so it sticks out a bit now.

Fuselage together!

f806001.jpg

Here is the preliminary inlet shot, there is still a bit of work to do here.

f806002.jpg

Adjusted tailpipe for a little protrusion. If you follow the instructions it will not stick out. Thanks Harold!

f806008.jpg

Idea stolen from Texas. This area would lave been a nightmare. The two inlet duct pieces were connected and needed to sit on the top of the wing. If you do that, they will never line up with the lip on the inside of the inlet. The fix is to just cut the center mounting tab and glue the ducts separately. Easy-peasy.

f806010.jpg

This gap is the only real fuselage join issue. I did not worry too much about it and filled with CA.

f806012.jpg

Now for the fun. I have to get creative with the main wheel wells as they are devoid of detail. The fit into the fuse is pretty bad as well. Most of the panel lines do not match and there is some raised detail that is waaaaaay off and will have be recreated. I don't know how I am going to figure that out.