When to Panel Line

Guys,

I have been using Tamiya black panel line to highlight my builds. My question to you all is when? Do you finish painting the subject , gloss, panel line, re-gloss and THEN apply the decals or do you gloss,apply the decals and then panel line. I’m thinking that the panel line could creep under some decals and ruin or lift them. 
Thanks,

Jim

I almost always (IF Im using decals that is) apply a gloss coat, then decals then panel liner, as I personally always want to make sure the decals are "blended" in and snuggled down nicely, so the panel line wash goes over them too.

To me it doesn't really look right if the panel lines that go across/through decals dont have the same color or wash as the rest of the airframe, but that is just me. 

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Hey James,

I agree with HTH.

When using decals, I always shoot a coat of gloss over them before using Tamiya Panel Liner, which is my go-to for such work. Ditto that if' I'm going to use rendered oils, which tend to behave like Tamiya Panel Liner if used really diluted. Once, the panel liner work is complete, I usually go with a semi-gloss/matte in preparation for using rendered oils (not diluted) and weathering powders, which prefer something with a little texture for application.

I hope that helps:)

Best,

--John