Hellcat update

Astro32

Great!

Speaking of the Waldron set.... The plackards for the center console do not fit over the Verlinden center piece (of which I ground off the rudder pedals within moments of opening the box!). Are you going to fashion a new console to fit the waldron stuff, or are you going to trim the plackards?

Looking great so far Astro! Nice call on the throttle by the way.

To clarify better what I'm doing, I'll be using the Eduard/Verlinden hybrid instrument panel I did, and I'll be using the Waldron templates to make the center console and starboard side console. Then the Waldron placards in the appropriate places. Speaking of Waldron, is it just me or are their assembly guidelines a little cryptic and difficult to figure out at times? ;)

To clarify better what I'm doing, I'll be using the Eduard/Verlinden hybrid instrument panel I did, and I'll be using the Waldron templates to make the center console and starboard side console. Then the Waldron placards in the appropriate places. Speaking of Waldron, is it just me or are their assembly guidelines a little cryptic and difficult to figure out at times? ;)

That sounds like the best aproach to me too.

I just ordered the Eduard set as well to round out resource, I hope you don't mind me using your technique for the panal, but the look you got on your panel is exactly what I'm aiming for.

I'm not sure if I've got the stomach for the Waldron console or throttle, but so far I'm inspired by your build so who knows?

Your doing great work on this beastie!

I just ordered the Eduard set as well to round out resource, I hope you don't mind me using your technique for the panal, but the look you got on your panel is exactly what I'm aiming for.

I'm not sure if I've got the stomach for the Waldron console or throttle, but so far I'm inspired by your build so who knows?

Your doing great work on this beastie!

Aha! Hijaking my technique, huh? :lol: :lol:

Hey, whatever works, and this is what this site is all about, right? Sharing of ideas and methods? Works for me!

Chris, I think you'll find the Eduard set very helpful. The seat in particular is very nice. There's lots of exterior details too; not too much and not too little. Quite unlike the Big Ed set for my Corsair! ;) ;)

As for the Waldron throttle, I'm taking the plunge tonight. The darn thing's so small I don't know if I could get decent pics of it though.

Hopefully more pics soon!

Last night I cut out the plastic parts for the Waldron based throttle quadrant from .010 thou sheet. I photocopied the placard sheet and then rubber cemented the copy to the plastic sheet, from which I cut the individual pieces to make up the panel. That took over an hour! Next up will be to add .10 thou strips for spacers between each piece, then paint and the Waldron placards. The whole thing is about 1/2 the size of what either Verlinden or Eduard did. The result will be well worth the effort. No photos today; the parts are so small I didn't think it worthwhile.

Well, last night I began the assembly of the throttle quadrant, and I tried taking a photo of the pieces I'd cut.

The photo came out better than I thought so here it is:

post-4-1147452060_thumb.jpg

I began to assemble the throttle quadrant by using spacers made from .010 x .015 strip, glued to the outer vertical edges of the pieces I cut out. To aid in this, I taped the strip to my piece of granite, then with a #11 blade, lifted the strip and slid the part underneath. This held the part quite nicely while the liguid cement did it's job:

post-4-1147452522_thumb.jpg

Last night I rummaged through my junk drawer, and , joy of joys, I found Eduard's first Hellcat detail set from the early 90's. The starboard side console is actually more dimensionally accurate than their later release, ironically. It matches the Waldron template almost perfectly, so it's good enough for me! The old set's part # is 32-011:

post-4-1147452764_thumb.jpg

Last night I got about halfway through the assembly of the new throttle quadrant. It's about ready to start painting and adding the Waldron placards, which will, for two of them, will require adding as the assembly process goes on; specifically the prop rpm graduation and friction stop plate. I'll be using the Eduard levers for the most part.

Yesterday I had another look at the Verlinden starboard side console. I found that, after cutting away the resin details above and below the console, dimensionally it was about right. I sanded the details off the top of the console, and also sanded the back of the console to a taper so that the console would be sitting at the right angle. I also found that at that point I could warm the part and get the warp out of it. After the re-shaping was done, I glued the Eduard Photo etched console to the top (from set 32-011), which fitted perfectly! However I filed off the details, preferring to use the Waldron placards and some of the Eduard details from the current set. I added details to the side of the fuselage with strip stock, and the switch box from the Verlinden starboard side detail that I saved after modifying that part:

post-4-1147710918_thumb.jpg

Since that photo was taken, I primed the console and added the wiring harness that runs from the bottom of the switch box and down into the console. Just a few more details and I'll be able to prime the area and paint. I'm enjoying this side of the 'pit because it's relatively clean, unlike the port side which is a rat's nest of plumbing and wiring harnesses!

I do have a question for the Hellcat boffins out there: on late production 'cats, were the cockpit sidewalls, from console level to the canopy sill, painted black, or was that a Corsair thing? I'm curious because I'll be doing a post-war machine.

Hi everybody

No photos today, as I've been busy getting ready for my vacation, and I've got family coming before and after vacation! :lol:

So far the 'pit side panels are primed and almost ready for paint. That and some wiring and plumbing to add. Shouldn't be too long before I wrap up the interior! When some worthwhile progress happens, I'll post new pics. In the meantime, you guys may not see much on this topic! And for any others doing a Hellcat, if you run across postwar photos of one in N.A.S. Pt Mugu markings, post them here or PM me! I'd really appreciate it.

Regards,

Ross

Excellent work here Ross, I've been hanging out for another fix of your Hellcat build...an aircraft I can't seem to get enough of!

Looking forward to your progress on this mate!

Cheers

Ango.

• 2 months later...

*BUMP*

Hey everybody

Still really busy with family & the house and stuff, but hopefully after next week it'll slow down enough for me to start building again. Last time I worked on it I got the throttle quadrant parts cut out and trimmed, and about half of it glued together. Won't take much to paint it and add the Waldron placards and levers, and once the 'pit is painted, I'll add the quadrant and linkages. I've not got too far to go before I can button her up and get the external details refined! :D

Regards,

Ross

Astro,

Looking real nice thus far, especially the instrument panel. Im quite interested to see how your pit comes out with the resin stuff and your scratch building. Lets see lots more!

Geoff