Hellcat update

Astro32

My usual brand of epoxy putty has grown stale - from Hexcel corp...... they apparently don't make it anymore..... I tried some of the cheap stuff by the roll from the hardware store.... nasty! It's not curing properly either. It's set up all rubbery. I used it to reshape the lower exhaust cutouts.

This pic shows the amount of reshaping to the lower exhaust cutouts I've done.

post-1317-1261105866.jpg

Note the hard edge of the putty against the kit plastic. This is how much reshaping is needed. It's really off!

For a good reference, go here compare. This is a -3, and I have noticed some subtle shape differences between the various 'dash' marks of Hellcat in lower fuselage & exhaust areas. Check your references by all means according to the version you're doing!

Still fiddling with the lower exhaust cutouts. Not quite happy with them.

But I did receive the Vector '2800 engine on Saturday, and boy am I pleased! Really beautiful job. Fast turnaround from Sprue Bros.! Shipping was a bit over $2.00 which was nice too.

One slight criticism for Vector: The baffles that go on top of and between the cylinders.... the parts diagram is a bit vague, and they're so small I'm having a hard time figuring them out. Otherwise it's awesome! :thumbsup:

Hopefully the next few days will be slow at the office so I can get some more done!

• 3 years later...

Major bump!

I haven't forgotten about this one. Maybe after the Wildcat? Not sure yet. I still want to do a post-war bird, perhaps in N.A.S. Pt. Mugu markings. Are there any postwar Hellcat decal sets out there?

I would also consider kitbashing the Trumpy kit's wings. The fuselage looks way off compared to the real deal, yet Hasegawa got it right almost 40 years ago. Go figure.

Found the decals. Alley Cat in the U.K. .... it even has a Pt. Mugu bird represented! From 1950.

Astro Do you Have the decals in your stash?    or do you still need to find some?  ACD-32001 Alley Cat Decals Post War F6F5K PMTC Bird on it!!!!

I found a sheet for you not far from home ( across the Valley ) Scott has them in stock  Pm inbound

Cheers