TA-4F VA-164 (USS Hancock)

I’ve almost finished scribing the Hasegawa kit, still not sure what it will turn into though. I’d be seriously interested in a Hancock F-8J and TA-4F diorama, having a hard time finding details of the two airframes deployed on the Hancock, specifically the crew names in those red rectangles below the cockpit.

I’d likely build “416” ie 153491, if anyone has details regarding the airplane as she appeared on the Hancock, I’d appreciate it.

Cheers,

Marcel

There is at least one photo of that TA-4 on line.  Kinda blurry but I think good enough for reference because it was painted pretty much the same as the rest of the airplanes in the squadron.  I just googled TA-4F on the USS Hancock and found it that way.  If you know which deployment or when the cruise was, then you might find a photo of the airplane in that cruise book which is also available on line.  Or try the squadron history site.

This won't be easy as the navigators came from other squadrons of the air group. So without a hint I'm afraid it won't be possible to identify them. And this won't be easy either for the pilots. I looked after that information when I did the research work for the Zotz TA-4 sheet and reluctantly had to remove the VA-164 airframes as I could not find anything useful at that time. Did you look if the squadron has not a Facebook page? I'm not a great fan of that network but this is often the easiest way to get information from veterans.

Yeah the crew names will be tough. My best bet is a 1/72 build on ARC that was quite well researched, I contacted the builder, will see if he comes back.

Worst case is no names, quite plausible that she flew that way at some time.

Osprey's US Navy and Marine Corps A-4 Skyhawk Units of the Vietnam War 1963–1973 has a side view illustration of 153491. I only have the Kindle version and it's too low of resolution to make out the names, but maybe the print version would be readable.  If you can read name in the print version, you could also cross check against the cruise books to see if the names were in VA-164. 

Edited by Steve McArthur

3 hours ago, Steve McArthur said:

Osprey's US Navy and Marine Corps A-4 Skyhawk Units of the Vietnam War 1963–1973 has a side view illustration of 153491. I only have the Kindle version and it's too low of resolution to make out the names, but maybe the print version would be readable.  If you can read name in the print version, you could also cross check against the cruise books to see if the names were in VA-164. 

Yes for the pilots but not for the navigators. They came from the same CVW but out of other squadrons because the VA-164 only had attack pilots, not real navigators. I should double check as I did not look recently but out of my memory this is not readable either in the paper book.

10 hours ago, Steve McArthur said:

I've got the book.  Pilot's name is LCDR Leon Bryant, backseater is LT JG Jim House.   

21 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

VA-164 didn’t get two seaters until some time in 72.  What exactly did they use them for?

Laser designation of targets. Navigators used a portable designator to do it while flying with the bombers of the squadron as some single seaters had been upgraded with a nose laser tracker. This is clearly visible in some pictures of VA-164 scooters.