1/32 Macchi C.202 Oil Cooler & Lower Cowling Coming Soon

AircraftInPixels

Qw7pI3pl.jpg

In development for the Italeri 1/32 Folgore, this set will replace the oil cooler, incorrectly depicted as being mounted to the cowling. In reality it was suspended from the rocker covers of the DB.601 / RA 1000 and protruded through a hole in the lower cowling.

YzU6Nk6l.jpg

The kit cowling can be modified to suit by enlarging the opening, or modelers will be able to opt for my replacement lower cowling piece which is much closer to scale thickness and with enhanced detail, including separately modeled fasteners and interior detail.

FvpNvhUl.jpg

mcBsmnbl.jpg

JwHVRwll.jpg

UuLgIYYl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MDriskill said:

This is gorgeous! Any chance we can talk you into the shallower oil cooler seen on early non-tropicalized aircraft?

Yes, but concrete details I have on that really are sketchy. In fact, details on the early machines period are sketchy. If you can point me to any references to help sort that would be helpful. I have been looking in vain for months now for the 2015(?) Maurizio Di Terlizzi "Valiant Wings Publishing – Airframe Detail No.3: The Macchi MC.202 Folgore – A Technical Guide" -- otherwise, I think I have just about everything that has been published on the type, but any advice warmly welcomed. 

If interested we have a small but active FB group called Wacky Macchis that is devoted to all things Macchi. Join if interested.

Judging by the incredible detail in your work, you've already found this site! But here it is anyhow; most of the original manual drawings found in books are here:

http://www.cmpr.it/manuali.htm

I do have a copy of Terlizzi's Valiant "Airframe" on the C.202, there is not a dedicated drawing of the early oil cooler that I recall though.

The FB group sounds great!