IAF Atar 9B Mirage IIIBJ with Camo?

5 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I checked various other books and finally found one side picture of 789 in the Isra book about the Yom Kippur war as well as another one showing 786 in the 1st jet squadron history publication!

I don't have Ra'anans epublication on the YKW, but I do have the First Jet Squadron history book. The latter is full of amazing photos as is the former, I'm sure. The Kindle format wasn't really useful to me, so I saved each Kindle page as an individual file which is far more useful for reference.

Edited by TBC

8 hours ago, TBC said:

I don't have Ra'anans epublication on the YKW, but I do have the First Jet Squadron history book. The latter is full of amazing photos as is the former, I'm sure. The Kindle format wasn't really useful to me, so I saved each Kindle page as an individual file which is far more useful for reference.

All of their books are terrific resources but I do not get why many books always look like the first one of a new series! The Isra books show a strange heterogeneity of size, binding, cover design and so on.

Thanks Andy. No, the profiles of decals or kit decals in all scales are always showing the Early IIIBJ in bare metal with the original engine (ATAR 9B) or the late ones with Camo paint and the ATAR 9C engine! This is precisely one of the reasons why I wondered if the two-seaters really got the Camo paints before being re-engined. The pictures are elusive but finally demonstrate this was the case! It is true I only found two pictures showing it clearly... The picture you mentioned surely shows a plane with the original tail because of the timeframe (1973 YKW) but as you notified this is alas not visible on that one!

9 hours ago, TBC said:

IsraDecal IAF #33 has #287 in camouflage with ATAR 9C and also #88 and #89 in natural metal with ATAR 9B.

Indeed. This is typically what all the decal and kit manufacturers are proposing! Weird as pictures show another option is possible and was used for years...